Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my boxer Bella has been eating out of adjustable elevated food dishes since she was a puppy. The one I have now is around 12” from floor to rim. I just purchased the neater feeder deluxe which measures 8” from floor to rim of bowl with out leg extensions and 11” with leg extensions from rim to bowl.
Now I’m seeing that elevated bowls contribute to bloat and that they should be ground level. Now I’m really CONFUSED!! She’s never had a problem with the elevated one she has now. Any thoughts on this? Does anyone else have elevated feeding dishes?

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Hey I have a "Bella" also now! She's a Boxer?Pot mix big chest and tiny waist. :)

I don't think your gonna find agreement on what is the best option??? But I do think it was the Cornell, study that said there was, could be an issue an with the elevated good bowels??

I did not use one with my Boxer or Band Dawg and I am not using one now with my current Boxer/Pit. Dogs either get Bloat or they do not?? Drinking water after eating or eating after exercise is more of a concern for me.

So I don't let that happen?? But aside from that ... I don't know?? But I go with a default , don't use one one with deep chested dogs. :)

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Lots of mixed ideas on that one. I do not use one but I occasionally give it some thought as our boxer does a lot of stretching and knuckling to reach down to his bowl. I'd like to find one that isn't too high but maybe just raise it about 2-3 inches. I just think it would be easier for him to eat. I also am concerned about bloat. I also have a st. poodle and they too are prone to bloat, I was thinking of having a gastroplexy done when he gets neutered but have kind of now put the on the back burner. I just can't stand the thought of stapling his stomach. So I am just careful not to allow them to run after eating.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I used to be worried about Bloat. We have one Female (Lily) who has a very deep chest, long legs and a skinny waist. I could tell it was uncomfortable for her to eat if the bowl was on the ground and she was standing. She preferred to lay down while eating.
Then when we got Diesel and noticed he had a hard time drinking with the water bowl on the floor I raised the water. It worked well so I raised the food bowls too.
Diezel has such a short nose and big under bite he has what I call poor mouth hydraulics. Most of the water that comes in his mouth with each lap goes right back out. With the water bowl raised he doesn't have to lift the water as far.
We have been using raised bowls to feed for three years. They seem to like it better.
I switched when I read some of the thinking had changed from raised bowls contributes to bloat to thinking it is not a primary contributing factor.
I know my Boxers like the raised bowls much better. With the bowl on the floor, it's like us trying to swallow while hanging upside down from a swing.
Lily's preferred eating position when the bowl is on the floor.:

Attachments

·
Registered
634 Posts
We've never elevated the bowls, but I also try to prevent play after a meal to prevent bloat.

Another option, and something we have are slow feed bowls. The way our boys eat sometimes you'd think they were starving- I assure you they are not. It's not food aggression either, they have their own bowls and have no problem if we or another one of them gets in their bowl. They don't usually get in the other one's bowl until they have stepped away.

Anyhow, back on topic....the bowls come in different materials and sizes. We got ours off of amazon, but they have them at most pet stores too. Something you may want to consider...

·
Registered
92 Posts
I also have a Bella. When I feed her, the bowl is on the floor and she lays down in front of it and eats each meal time. She has a deep chest and a small waist as well.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
I also have a Bella. When I feed her, the bowl is on the floor and she lays down in front of it and eats each meal time. She has a deep chest and a small waist as well.
LOL, we have three Bella's, here??? :)

And does yours lay down at every meal or only once in awhile?? If it's every once in awhile (while still odd??)" I'd not worry about it, but if it's all the time, yeah I'd do the elevated dish thing. Laying down to eat ... can't be good for there digestion??

And the usually protocols, at least 30 minutes to an hour before feeding, after exercise, hard playing and don't let her gulp water like a fish before or after meals (for again 30 minutes to an hour.)

No guarantees of course but that's what I do. Rocky (my GSD) ate from an elevated dish and he was fine "GSD's" are also prone to bloat.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Yep! Or if you have one like us with a crazy long tongue, it wouldn't matter if his face fit! :clap2:
Aww man why can't we do "like" on her. :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
This is a controversial topic. Some say that elevated bowls actually increase the chance of bloat in dogs that are prone to that condition. Bella lays down all the time when she eats. I don't let either dog drink water before or after eating for at least 30 minutes. Of course there's no running for an hour before or after as well.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
This is a controversial topic. Some say that elevated bowls actually increase the chance of bloat in dogs that are prone to that condition. Bella lays down all the time when she eats. I don't let either dog drink water before or after eating for at least 30 minutes. Of course there's no running for an hour before or after as well.
That is pretty much just a good rule of thumb. But the laying down to eat is kinda odd??

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
LOL Laying down to eat, that is one relied pup. In my lifetime I had only 1 that would do the and she was my very very laid back shih tzu, she would lie down in front of her bowl take a few pieces out at a time and just lie there eating.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts