Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are they ok for puppies? I read some people say they are great, some say they are too hard. I bought a split antler from chewy.com...i know I've read that the split are better because it exposes the marrow which is softer. So, would i be ok to give it to my pup or should i wait until adult teeth come in? If no antler, what are some better options?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not a fan of Antlers especially for young puppies way too dense.
Thanks! I might have to save it for a year or two from now, or give it to someone else...Any advice on other things for a pup to chew on? Beef knee cap, beef rib chews? Or is it best to stay away from any of those bone type chews and stick with balls, plush toys etc?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
My guy loves bully bones or pizzles some places refer to them as..some folks I've heard turn to the nylabones.. with any type of bone supervison is key even as they get older..

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
I've heard of dogs teeth being broken with Antlers. I've used knuckle bones in the past and my guys tended to just gnaw on those.

Plushy toys, depends on the dog, my dogs would destroy them and pluck the guts out ... but I noticed they never ate the stuffings. Squeak toys Gunther, my BandDog would just rip in half and Struddell my Boxer would take one tiny corner and nibble it off a squeek toy, to de-squeak them??

Gunther luv'd to blind toys with detachable eyes. Never ate the eyes but we stopped buying those. Kongs are universal and safe but if they did not have peanut butter or kibbel in them my guys did not care for them.

And another fail was these ... https://www.chewy.com/mammoth-tirebiter-tire-dog-toy-mini/dp/108603?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Mammoth&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KEQjw2fLGBRDopP-vg7PLgvsBEiQAUOnIXF8l-08KAoiSQlkVRZfvwQt90fxmqNPOlzmNpI2OfFAaAmRD8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

I thought they were cool but my dogs thought ... not so much. :(

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've heard of dogs teeth being broken with Antlers. I've used knuckle bones in the past and my guys tended to just gnaw on those.

Plushy toys, depends on the dog, my dogs would destroy them and pluck the guts out ... but I noticed they never ate the stuffings. Squeak toys Gunther, my BandDog would just rip in half and Struddell my Boxer would take one tiny corner and nibble it off a squeek toy, to de-squeak them??

Gunther luv'd to blind toys with detachable eyes. Never ate the eyes but we stopped buying those. Kongs are universal and safe but if they did not have peanut butter or kibbel in them my guys did not care for them.

And another fail was these ... https://www.chewy.com/mammoth-tirebiter-tire-dog-toy-mini/dp/108603?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Mammoth&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KEQjw2fLGBRDopP-vg7PLgvsBEiQAUOnIXF8l-08KAoiSQlkVRZfvwQt90fxmqNPOlzmNpI2OfFAaAmRD8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

I thought they were cool but my dogs thought ... not so much.
Thanks for the help. I think my best course would be to wait till I actually bring the pup home haha, and see what he's into toy wise. I'll get a few things....but wait for this kind of stuff

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Oh heck I wouldn't wait. Other than the little rubber tire fail??? My dogs never saw a toy they did not like. But you do have to be careful with stuffed toys. My guys luv'd ripping those to shreds but ... they did not eat the stuffing or swallow the crap that strew around. :)

And the thick rubber squeaky toys ... yeah. They can be uh ... annoying until they rip a hole in them. Struddell would go, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak. Finally I'd say, Struddell! Then she'd ... stop, walk over to me, sit, look up at me and go, S.. q.. u.. e.. a.. k?? And I'd laugh and sigh ... squeaky toy would be wrecked in a couple of days anyway so ... whatever. :)

The antlers ... just make me nervous ... some say no big deal and others say broken, or worn down teeth?? Just not worth the risk to me.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
I too have heard of antlers breaking teeth so I stayed clear. Suffices were destroyed in 4 min., I buy the himalayan bones, its cheese Kai's last about 3-4 days sometimes longer, when they get small that I think he could swallow it my daughter microwaves it until it puffs up, when it cools he gets it back. Once he has eaten it he will get a new one. I don't get them often as they are expensive. we also have those Dentley stuffed femur bones, he likes to know not hose and hard rubber toys made by JW, and we just got him a nylabone that looks like its knotted like a rawhide bone on each end. He seems to like that also. He also has one of those crazy wobble wag giggle balls.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you both for the input! So far I have a "chuck it" ball, a medium kong, and two plush toys. The plush toys are gifts to the new pup from my young kids. They each got to pick one toy on their own...

I'll stay away from the elk antlers for sure, and I'll probably get a puppy nylabone or two to start. Seems odd, the nylabone seem extremely hard...hard to believe they aren't bad for teeth like the antlers are, but what do I know haha!

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Yeah the nylabone's seem hard but I think they are not as "dense??" Nerd stuff so I don't know but I've never had or heard of nylabone issues. Oh and no raw hide just in case you did not know???

Oh and the himalayan bones ... yeah kinda pricy.

https://www.chewy.com/himalayan-dog-chew-mixed-dog-treats/dp/48636?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=f&utm_content=Himalayan Dog Chew&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KEQjw2fLGBRDopP-vg7PLgvsBEiQAUOnIXFeBwBeHEqBu2_S4Hln3QANs8zQhtnD9Sf32E3H9H28aAkV18P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah the nylabone's seem hard but I think they are not as "dense??" Nerd stuff so I don't know but I've never had or heard of nylabone issues. Oh and no raw hide just in case you did not know???

Oh and the himalayan bones ... yeah kinda pricy.

https://www.chewy.com/himalayan-dog-chew-mixed-dog-treats/dp/48636?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=f&utm_content=Himalayan Dog Chew&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KEQjw2fLGBRDopP-vg7PLgvsBEiQAUOnIXFeBwBeHEqBu2_S4Hln3QANs8zQhtnD9Sf32E3H9H28aAkV18P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds
OK, ill have to pick up a couple puppy nylabones then. Yeah i have definitely heard no raw hide, so won't be getting any of that. thanks for the link, yeah expensive, but worth looking in to. thanks!

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Just bought my guy a Himalayan cheese chew (Thanks Lindar for the idea now I'm broke LOL) and holy jz my guy is loving it. They're pricey here in Canada, i wish Chewy shipped across the border. Anyways he has been busy with this all night and it's hardly worn down either good for a rainy day stuck inside.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
great to hear! Im going to have to buy a few of those! What size (length) would you guys recommend for an 8 weeks old pup? i see some as small as 3.5-4 inches, i know an 8 week pup is just a baby...but that still seems small to me.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Yep they certainly are pricey, LOL I buy my dog the large. When it gets small we microwave it then he still enjoys it, but it stays hot so don't give it hot. For a small pup I'd probably get the medium to large only because it will last longer. A few weeks back Petsmart had a package of 3 for $31.99 , we are on #2, LOL keeps him busy when we are busy.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yep they certainly are pricey, LOL I buy my dog the large. When it gets small we microwave it then he still enjoys it, but it stays hot so don't give it hot. For a small pup I'd probably get the medium to large only because it will last longer. A few weeks back Petsmart had a package of 3 for $31.99 , we are on #2, LOL keeps him busy when we are busy.
Thanks! I just bought some Himalayan chews on Amazon...3 for 15 bucks! You should check them out!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts