Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2 year old Boxer has just been diagnosed with Ehrlichia. Not familiar with this tick borne disease. Looking for some information and the best form of treatment. I am to start on Doxycycline today.

·
Registered
5,845 Posts
HEY I was on Doxycycline! I am not a fan ... if I did not take it on a full stomach? It give/gave me issues! Just something to be aware. Most likely with a meal would be best for that stuff?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Ehrlichia is a very very serious tick transmitted disease. I am glad you have him on treatment. In my area that and Lyme disease are very common unfortunately. It can destroy a dogs kidneys and needs to be treated immediately. I use frontline plus on my dogs and additionally spray them with Wondracide it’s available on Amazon it’s non toxic cedar oil and it works pretty well with ticks mosquitoes and biting flies. I hope your dog will be ok, I know that doxycycline is very expensive!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ehrlichia is a very very serious tick transmitted disease. I am glad you have him on treatment. In my area that and Lyme disease are very common unfortunately. It can destroy a dogs kidneys and needs to be treated immediately. I use frontline plus on my dogs and additionally spray them with Wondracide it’s available on Amazon it’s non toxic cedar oil and it works pretty well with ticks mosquitoes and biting flies. I hope your dog will be ok, I know that doxycycline is very expensive!
I live in New York (Long Island). ticks are everywhere!!! Not a day goes by that I do not have deer in my front and back yard. Although, three of my other boxers escaped this, I am not surprised that Gus ended up with a tick disease. I will look up the Wondracide for sure. Thank you for the information.
On a side note, while this is happening, his allergies are getting worse, so now I am considering Apoquel for him. Any thoughts on this???

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I have used Apaquel on one of my dogs before with no problem but another one of my dogs could not tolerate it she got really bad diarrhea from it. i get her cytopoint shots now as needed they are expensive but last 8 weeks and my Vet reccomends it over apaquel to. I think the ticks have a preference for certain dogs too. My previous female would get ticks on her when I was out walking with other people thier dogs wouldn’t have any but she sure would! How is your dog doing? I hope all goes well with him. For now till the end of tick season I try to keep my guys out of wooded areas and long grass but tick season here lasts till about Nov now they are forecasting another warm winter here so probably not much die off. I hate ticks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts