Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we got Ekims blood work back and his thyroid studies are normal, so it means he is just fat. He weighs 95 lbs and is a big big boy. His blood work did show a slight elevation in fat content in his pancreatic enzymes so the vet prescribed a new dog food for him. He ordered prescribtion r&d by Hills. It is supposed to help with weight loss, make him feel less hungry and lower the fat content in his blood. Looking over the ingredientd I noticed it contained ethoxyquin. Isn't that preservative a carcinogen ? I am afraid to give him this food. Do any of you have any other suggestions as to what food I can give him to loss weight without feeling hungry. Vet says it is a good food for weight loss. Also, he was on canadae 1&1/2 cups 2x a day and was hungry all the time. Now I have to cut out all treats and the greenbeans he loves for one month, until his bloodwork is repeated. No treats is going to be hard since I am trying to train Delila with treats.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
i wouldnt go with Science Diet-all in all it is not a good brand of food. hopefully someone here will have some advice on which food would be a better grade with the same results.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Some 17 years ago when I was breeding afghan hounds and participating in both breed clubs and sight hound lure coursing clubs, we started seeing a number of health problems that many of us believed were a result of ethoxyquin levels in dogs food commonly available.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts