Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just found out that there is Euro/German and American boxer. Had no idea when I got my puppy Zuke. Pretty much all my research before I got him talked about height, weight, temperament, etc.

Since I read the average high end weight for a male at maturity was about 75 lbs, I was a little surprised on my last vet visit that Zuke weighs 75lbs at 14 months. I have also had other people tell me they can't believe how big he is at his age. I have read the Euro/German tends to be a heavier weight.

Was wondering if any members on here are very familiar with the two different standards, and might have an opinion on what my guy Zuke might be.

Zuke at 14 months 75 lbs.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Hopefully Kaco will see this thread ... she can spot Euro or Euro content pretty quickly. :)

Handsome boy in anycase and if I were to venture a guess, I'd say he was a blend, deep chest and tiny waist AKA American Boxer but the muzzle is a bit and not as narrow and the head seems large. Nice dog ... my friends have one ... I like him. :)

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hopefully Kaco will see this thread ... she can spot Euro or Euro content pretty quickly. :)

Handsome boy in anycase and if I were to venture a guess, I'd say he was a blend, deep chest and tiny waist AKA American Boxer but the muzzle is a bit and not as narrow and the head seems large. Nice dog ... my friends have one ... I like him. :)
Thanks Chip.

Was thinking the same thing after a bit more research. Seems to have aspects of both.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good looking dog!! My girl comes from an American male and German female, curious to see what she ends up looking like and weighing. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread! I attached a pic of my pup and its parents...
Great looking pup. No surprise though with 2 great looking parents.
I might be biased though, because I never saw a Boxer I didn't think was great looking. lol

I do like the German build a tiny bit better though. Like the bulkier frame, and the larger head.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I looked at the breed standards listed for German lines, and it looks like males would be approximately 66 lbs, and females 55 lbs. The height for males would be 22 - 25 inches at the withers. The dogs I've seen from German lines are not especially large, but very muscular from vigorous exercise.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I looked at the breed standards listed for German lines, and it looks like males would be approximately 66 lbs, and females 55 lbs. The height for males would be 22 - 25 inches at the withers. The dogs I've seen from German lines are not especially large, but very muscular from vigorous exercise.
Interesting.

I found various weights on different sites. Seems some of them are just "general boxer" others do a breakdown between the German and American.

Zuke is 26 & 3/4 at the withers and 75 lbs. Going to be interesting what his final height and weight is.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Good looking dog!! My girl comes from an American male and German female, curious to see what she ends up looking like and weighing. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread! I attached a pic of my pup and its parents...
Wow ... the Brindle is momma??? She has more of a tucked in waist than I would have thought?? Any idea what she weights?? I'd be curious she's gotta be more than 65 lbs???

Struddell was a solid 65 lbs all American and all muscle but she looked tiny next to all the male Boxers I ran across. That girl looks as big as the males I saw. I've never met or worked with any full Euros, but in NV I run across many Euro/American Boxers??

In this country ... the only Boxers serving as LE K9's, are full Euro's and it seems to be a regional thing here. "owenowlsnest" has a son of "Cliff" ...
Cliff vom Grand Kevin

If you want a an actually working Boxer ... most likely that's the place to go to get one. :)

But for me ... although I did not know it at the time ... I fell in luv with Goofy!
I've never met or worked with a single full Euro but I define them as a WL GSD in a Boxer suit?? That's either an insult or a compliment ... depending on your point of view??? That is not an experience I'm looking for with my next Boxer. I had to work like ... a dog ... to get my first Over Size WL GSD to the "Aloof" with strangers stage. Hard lessons learned.

But I have met and worked with quite a few, full Euro/American crosses. And they seem to be ... a little different?? Assuming a well behaved, well trained American vs Euro/American Boxer. What I have seen is that the hybrids do have that suspicious of strangers bit at first bit but assuming one is not a threat or a tool they get over it quite quickly and then they are just a Boxer.

My Struddell ... simply did not do that she never met a stranger she did not like ... pretty much instantly ... a new best ... I did not know was how she met "Everyone" pretty much instantly!!

I do have to note ... that once while she was on patrol peering into the darkness on the back of the ... she went off like a "Bomb???" I told her to be quite ... she'd never done that before?? She looked at me blew her flews and complied, she stopped barking and continued to peer into the darkness ...

The rest of the story ... the next morning I go out to the cars and discover that both car radios had been stolen!! And yep sure enough Struddell saw them ... that's why she went off! I filed a report and asked Struddell for an ID on the crooks but she was ticked and never said ... my bad. :chair:

The Euro/American I have met and worked with are a little different, they do display the "Suspicious of strangers bit at first but assuming one is not a tool ... they quickly get over it and then ... they are just a Boxer. Don't know ... maybe the A/L Boxers can just sum up a strangers character instantly ... aside from the thieves in the night Strudell never met a strangers she did not like.

My GSD on the other hand ... tends to like no one outside of his pack. And after a few months of visits my best friend was fine. And after years ... my out of state DIL was cool! Struddell on the other hand ... luv'd the holidays ... everyone is coming to see "ME!!!" And in truth ... they were. :)

Male guest especially, female guest ...not so much, female guest were pretty cool to Struddells antics the guys just laughed and giggled. She pretty much would spend the weekend with my male relatives and Daddy was forgotten! Rocky my GSD on the hand was more like "great to see you ... when you leaving" ... good enough. :)

Aww well just my non Pro assessment of American and Hybrid Boxers. As I have not met nor worked with any full Euro's ... I can't say what they are like.
I do luv my GSD ... but it was a very different life experience with him a very serious at all times there.

But as I say ... I don't know any full Euros so I can' really say what they are like??? Just my two cents.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Wow ... the Brindle is momma??? She has more of a tucked in waist than I would have thought?? Any idea what she weights?? I'd be curious she's gotta be more than 65 lbs???
You got it, brindle is the mom. Believe it or not, I was told she weighed 62 pounds. Although when I saw her in person, I woulda guessed a bit more...she was very thick and muscular. The father apparently weights around 80. Coat wise, my pup is a clone of the mother but I'm curious to see what traits of American and German she picks up.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Great looking pup. No surprise though with 2 great looking parents.
I might be biased though, because I never saw a Boxer I didn't think was great looking. lol

I do like the German build a tiny bit better though. Like the bulkier frame, and the larger head.
Haha agreed, all boxers are great looking! I agree, if I had to pick one I'd steer toward the German build. Either way you can't go wrong with a boxer!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Euro/American I have met and worked with are a little different, they do display the "Suspicious of strangers bit at first but assuming one is not a tool ... they quickly get over it and then ... they are just a Boxer. Don't know ... maybe the A/L Boxers can just sum up a strangers character instantly ... aside from the thieves in the night Strudell never met a strangers she did not like.
Just explained Zuke to a T.

He is suspicious at 1st but within about a minute he is your best friend if he decides you are not a threat, and he only has to meet you once and he is excited to see you every time afterwards.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Just explained Zuke to a T.

He is suspicious at 1st but within about a minute he is your best friend if he decides you are not a threat, and he only has to meet you once and he is excited to see you every time afterwards.
LOL ... that made me choke. :)

That is my friends Euro/American and sadly he passed ... Cancer sign he was a cool dog. And then they got another Euro/American and again ... a cool dog but ... they don't have clue on that (Euro/American) detail ... but as I said Euro/American Boxers seem to be common in NV???

In San Jose Ca, all the Boxers seem to be American Line ... don't know what that's about???

Aww well hopefully, I can get another Boxer this year. It's been four years since my Struddell passed ... as the saying goes ... the day the laughter died. :(

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LOL ... that made me choke. :)

That is my friends Euro/American and sadly he passed ... Cancer sign he was a cool dog. And then they got another Euro/American and again ... a cool dog but ... they don't have clue on that (Euro/American) detail ... but as I said Euro/American Boxers seem to be common in NV???

In San Jose Ca, all the Boxers seem to be American Line ... don't know what that's about???

Aww well hopefully, I can get another Boxer this year. It's been four years since my Struddell passed ... as the saying goes ... the day the laughter died. :(
This is my 1st Boxer. Always loved the breed, but had a rescue mutt 1st and then an incredible Golden Retriever.

Loved all my dogs but there is just something special about Zuke. Which after reading this forum is obviously the nature of the boxer breed. They just have so many different quirks, and he makes me laugh a couple times a day.

Good luck on getting another boxer.

I see from your previous posts you have a German Shepard. Funny thing is Zukes favorite dog to play with is a neighbors female GS who is about 5. That GS he plays with is probably one of the smartest dogs I have ever come across. Could be in the middle of playing like the devil and if the owner says a command the GS stops immediately even when Zuke is still bouncing around her face like a nutjob.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
This is my 1st Boxer. Always loved the breed, but had a rescue mutt 1st and then an incredible Golden Retriever.

Loved all my dogs but there is just something special about Zuke. Which after reading this forum is obviously the nature of the boxer breed. They just have so many different quirks, and he makes me laugh a couple times a day.

Good luck on getting another boxer.

I see from your previous posts you have a German Shepard. Funny thing is Zukes favorite dog to play with is a neighbors female GS who is about 5. That GS he plays with is probably one of the smartest dogs I have ever come across. Could be in the middle of playing like the devil and if the owner says a command the GS stops immediately even when Zuke is still bouncing around her face like a nutjob.
GSD's ... yesss ... despite five pack fights with Gunther, my trip to the ER for stitches after breaking up the last pack fight (which Rocky always started!)

Struddell, never got involved. Pretty much when Rocky went off on Gunther there was total chaos as I commanded Gunther Down (American Band Dawg) ... which he did and Rocky said ... cool I got him now!!! And then I had to pile on to get Rocky off of him!! 116 lbs of, out of control WL GSD ... but Struddell ... not a sound, not a movement, not a target ... no Boxer involvement, period ever, never. She luv'd Gunther her lifelong partner but she adored Rocky???

Her bond with Rocky was so strong that it caused me problems?? Multiple dogs should mean one on one time walking them as individuals for a while. I never did that with Rocky ... I had the open desert so you know ... why other??? After the fights and Gunther passing unrelated to the fights and now ... "Rocky's people issues cropped up??? I had to walk him one on one to deal with the crap Structured Walks. And Marilyn told me that Struddell, who was otherwise well behaved, would howl and cry in protest when we left???

But GSD's ... one of the top three on the Doggy IQ scales. OK ... so what does that look like??? Well I saw it early on ... all my dogs are threshold trained. They will not go out the front door without permission!

But the back yard ... I don't care, I open the slider and out they go! The first indication that I got that "Rocky GSD" was different was the back door. I opened the back door for him, expecting him to just bolt ... but he did not move??? I was getting ready to shout ... freaking go dog!! But I stopped looked down at him and said OK??? (The release word) and out he goes. My Bully guys made a distinction between the front door and the back door. Rocky did not, front or back door a threshold is a threshold ... I wait for instructions. I should have taken more note of that quirk, but I did not and there would be heck to pay for my misunderstanding of my big furry dog with a pointy face. But it worked out well in the long run.

·
Super Moderator
7,025 Posts
Matt, you boy seems to be a mix of American and European.

Weights vary, regardless of lines. Typically, I find Americans that are bred to standard to be be around 55-60lbs for bitches and 70-75lbs for dogs. Euro's look heavier than what they are simply because of the heaviness of the bone they carry. My euro's are 65lbs for bitches on average and 75-80lbs for the dogs. So slightly heavier in bone and muscle mass.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Matt, you boy seems to be a mix of American and European.

Weights vary, regardless of lines. Typically, I find Americans that are bred to standard to be be around 55-60lbs for bitches and 70-75lbs for dogs. Euro's look heavier than what they are simply because of the heaviness of the bone they carry. My euro's are 65lbs for bitches on average and 75-80lbs for the dogs. So slightly heavier in bone and muscle mass.
Thanks for the info Kaco.

Funny, because just a few days ago I had no idea there were different lines. Just figured a boxer is a boxer. Started to notice he was as big as a few of the mature males in the neighborhood and had a slightly different bone structure. That got me doing a little more research. Always good to learn something new everyday.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
GSD's ... yesss ... despite five pack fights with Gunther, my trip to the ER for stitches after breaking up the last pack fight (which Rocky always started!)

Struddell, never got involved. Pretty much when Rocky went off on Gunther there was total chaos as I commanded Gunther Down (American Band Dawg) ... which he did and Rocky said ... cool I got him now!!! And then I had to pile on to get Rocky off of him!! 116 lbs of, out of control WL GSD ... but Struddell ... not a sound, not a movement, not a target ... no Boxer involvement, period ever, never. She luv'd Gunther her lifelong partner but she adored Rocky???

Her bond with Rocky was so strong that it caused me problems?? Multiple dogs should mean one on one time walking them as individuals for a while. I never did that with Rocky ... I had the open desert so you know ... why other??? After the fights and Gunther passing unrelated to the fights and now ... "Rocky's people issues cropped up??? I had to walk him one on one to deal with the crap Structured Walks. And Marilyn told me that Struddell, who was otherwise well behaved, would howl and cry in protest when we left???

But GSD's ... one of the top three on the Doggy IQ scales. OK ... so what does that look like??? Well I saw it early on ... all my dogs are threshold trained. They will not go out the front door without permission!

But the back yard ... I don't care, I open the slider and out they go! The first indication that I got that "Rocky GSD" was different was the back door. I opened the back door for him, expecting him to just bolt ... but he did not move??? I was getting ready to shout ... freaking go dog!! But I stopped looked down at him and said OK??? (The release word) and out he goes. My Bully guys made a distinction between the front door and the back door. Rocky did not, front or back door a threshold is a threshold ... I wait for instructions. I should have taken more note of that quirk, but I did not and there would be heck to pay for my misunderstanding of my big furry dog with a pointy face. But it worked out well in the long run.
In the next year or two i'm thinking of either another boxer or GSD. Zuke seems to have an affinity for GSD's. He likes all dogs(except the brother and sister pit bulls around the corner) but seems to have a special relationship with three different GSD's. Especially the female one a few houses down.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
62 lbs you say?? Wow she looks so much bigger than Struddell??? Struddell had a tiny waist and a deep chest ... I would guest she was more narrow than that girl??? And of course a longer narrower muzzle which seem to work well for her in the high heat of the desert, it would seem. Jack rabbit chasing, she never caught one but it was cool to watch her try! The bunnies would always try and burn her off on the straights ... and that never worked! And then they would cut hard to the right into the brush ... she's still on them and then they would come out of the brush and back down the straight!

That ... always worked! I'd watch the bunny sail away and Struddell would be chasing around in the brush trying to pick up the scent??? So I guess she would switch from sight to scent when the rabbits went into the brush?? Happened all the time ... she never figured it out but fun to watch.

But no by and large JQP Boxer owner does not know about the Euro's as a sub group. I only discovered them when I was looking for "any" k9 Boxers doing that job in America???

And not having any luck I asked in the PPD/LE K9 forum on Germanshepardforum and the pointed me to Von Bachbett Kennel ... I was actually looking for an American Line Boxer doing the LE K9 thing. I had found one but ... that dog was retired and I found no details.

Ah well internet battles on GSDFourm ... I'm the Boxer guy. There are some serious guys over there and one of them called our dogs Skinny and Goofy. So I roll out the big guns AKA "Cliff" who has since passed. And then they say ... yeah that's a dog! A Boxer for every need ...

I still question the "Goofy" factor in the Euro's?? And not really sure how that ... got to be a breed characteristic but it's there in spades in the American Lines.

At anyrate ... more facts and less personnel observation can be found here.:

BOXERS AROUND THE WORLD

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
In the next year or two i'm thinking of either another boxer or GSD. Zuke seems to have an affinity for GSD's. He likes all dogs(except the brother and sister pit bulls around the corner) but seems to have a special relationship with three different GSD's. Especially the female one a few houses down.
A GSD ... LOL, do your research. :)

I seriously tick people off over on the germanshepardforum ... because I don't recommend GSD's to anyone I know. But I know a lot of people that should only own Goldfish. Aside from two Rottie lifelong friends. Still despite me GSD are always in the top three most popular dogs in America???

A badly behaved Boxer can be a hair pulling owner experience a badly behaved GSD can be a Lawsuit on four paws. A lot of experienced "Bully Breeder" owners find themselves in a world of hurt when they get there first "Workingline GSD" and find themselves with issues they have never seen before ... that would include me??? :cry:

Usually that flows from what they did with there Bully's, by and large as a group very easy going dogs. But problems start at home, lack of structure, and not enough rules. Get that right in the beginning and no problem get it wrong and the "serious issues" start to become apparent in the 14 to 18 month range ... happens all the time.

Crate training, no free roaming in the house ... Crate or Place indoors and structured walks go along way towards heading off issues.And most GSD's usually don't have a problem with "Pack Members" but everybody else can be a problem "especially" in their "GSD's" home!

But if you know three GSD people be sure and talk to them. And so you know ... lots of different lines. American Showline, West German Showline and ... Workingline dogs. That last one is the MWD/LE/PPD. Those guys/girls are responsible for most of the issues people have the I want a Police Dog crowd.
And spec GSD's are 75 lbs. But there are also Over Size GSD's 90 to 116 lbs is not uncommon. I have one 112 lbs. And the OS GSD's are another bone of contention over there ... lot's of uh ... debate. :)

They tell me that a WL GSD makes an excellent family pet ... not my experience but I don't say otherwise online. Temperament is key in all things GSD.

So I'm kinda a radical on there still ... numbers don't lie and every day ... new threads show up here.:
Aggression (the good, the bad & the ugly) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

We don't have a whole forum devoted to aggression here, yes it happens but you know ... not on a daily basis???

But ... one of my PM buddies on GSDF is Selzer and she breeds West German Showlines and from what she describes of her dogs they sound more like what I would have expected???

I'm not saying NO and I'm not saying yes. Do your research ask lots of questions, see lots of dogs and observe those dogs you know and there interactions with people. Oh yeah and a side note ... the fur, the fur! :)

1 - 20 of 66 Posts