Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 7 year old boxer is having some excessive drooling episodes. For instance, she could be sitting next to me and I will look down and a puddle is on the floor under her. I saw on a different forum someones posted about the dog eating too fast and getting too much air in their stomach and to just help them burp. After I read that I laid her on the floor and rubbed her tummy and moved her back legs up and down and about 10 mins later her drooling stopped. This made me so happy and it worked a few more times, but now it wont work. Now she gets the excessive drooling a couple hours after she eats so I don't think it is air. The vet told us to use Prilosec because she might be experiencing heart burn but that only works some of the time. The drooling has been happening for about a year. She doesn't seem to be in pain, its just a little annoying. Does anyone have any similar experiences or advise?

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Drooling often indicates nausea. You can get some anti-nausea meds from your vet and see if that helps. If it does, then you need to go about figuring out why she's nauseous.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She went to the vet a couple months ago due to her drooling but not since. They never mentioned a tooth problem. I will have to ask them about it. Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Our dog Kody is 6 and has started doing same. The vet gave him something like prilosec, but we cant tell that its helping. We are beginning to see that it might be happening after and runs and plays. He doesn't act like he feels bad, but an episode can last about 12 hours. He did get into some cat food one day and we thought it might be that, but he also ran and played with neighbors dog too. The running seems to be the common denominator

·
Registered
512 Posts
Drooling means upset stomach, maybe a food allergy? My dogs drool when I am eating thinking they want what I have or anticipating a treat at the bank drive thru.

·
Super Moderator
7,025 Posts
I agree that drooling or as we call it drip drop jowls, usually indicates acid reflux or an upset tummy. Try to cut back on any treats or table scraps and add in a good quality probiotic to each meal. My go to for upset tummies or IBS is a product made by The Honest Kitchen called Perfect Form. Give it approx. 20 min before each meal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Our boxer boy is almost 9 years old and has the same type of idiosyncratic excessive drooling since 2016. He has been to the vet multiple times, no teeth issues, blood work normal. They have really been unable to diagnose anything. We have tried anti-nausea meds, acid reducers and pain pills. Sometimes the acid reducer seems to help but the episodes have escalated in the past year.

Recent episodes seem to be triggered by exercise but not after every exercise session. We recently put probiotics but too soon to see if that helps at all. I am considering a diet change to a gastro friendly food to see if that helps.

So frustrating...poor buddy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Our boxer boy is almost 9 years old and has the same type of idiosyncratic excessive drooling since 2016. He has been to the vet multiple times, no teeth issues, blood work normal. They have really been unable to diagnose anything. We have tried anti-nausea meds, acid reducers and pain pills. Sometimes the acid reducer seems to help but the episodes have escalated in the past year.

Recent episodes seem to be triggered by exercise but not after every exercise session. We recently put probiotics but too soon to see if that helps at all. I am considering a diet change to a gastro friendly food to see if that helps.

So frustrating...poor buddy.
This sounds exactly like our kody. He had been limping a little and slow to get up in his hind quarters. He had previously had a soft tissue tear and that old injury flares up from time to time. Vet has put him on some thing for joint health and an anti inflammatory med as well he seems to be feeling better. No drooling since visit, so possibly this was associated with some pain after running a lot. Time will tell if this works for the drooling he was having. He didn't have it every day. This was different than the drooling when he thinks he's gonna get a treat. This was almost like he was ha ing trouble swallowing all the saliva. I'll repost later if we don't see any more of this type of drooling. Good luck with your sweet boy!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I hope your buddy Kody is feeling better. We wonder if Bentley‘s dripping drooling is related to pain as well. He has some back issues ...probably from running, jumping and playing so hard as a youngin - oh, boxers! Will did your vet put Kody on? Is it OTC or a pain med?

Thanks for posting, this is so frustrating and hard to figure out the root cause so I will be interested to hear how Kody does. Fingers crossed!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
The vet has Kody on Dasuquin with MSM soft chews for his joint health and Rimadyl 100 mg once a day. He had gained a little weight , maybe 4 -5 lbs over his perfect weight and the vet said even that might affect his joints and cause issues if he's having some pain. So... we're working on that too. I'll touch base again. If we can go 30 days without an episode, I'll say we're on to something. Good luck!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Sometimes some of those arthritis medications like Rimadyl and even glucosamine can cause upset in the GI. I had a male that was very active and when he got to be 9 he was pretty arthritic, he got GI issues with NSAIDS and Glucosamines so I started him on Adaquan injections they are two times a month then once a month. They worked well for him and no stomach issues.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts