Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at my wit's end with Brodie's peeing. He constantly wants to go outside to pee (and does), plus he pees in the house, either because he panics and can't get out in time (I'm constantly letting him out), or he just goes on the floor without warning. :cry_baby:

This morning, I decided to take a urine sample to the vet's office to have it tested for a UTI, just to get it ruled out (the vet thinks it's behavioral); haven't heard back yet, and probably won't until Monday. The office closed at noon, and they were very busy.

Until then, I've decided to save my laminate floors any more damage, which smell, even though I use Nature's Miracle copiously after each accident, and also to save what's left of my sanity. I went to Petsmart and bought Brodie a belly band, and then went to Wally World and bought a package of feminine pads to line it with. I took Brodie outside when I got home, and he peed and pooped. When we got back in, I put the belly band on him, and needless to say, he wasn't pleased. He'll have to get over it, b/c I sure am!! :confused:

Sure enough, within 10 minutes, he was frantically pacing and wanting to go out again. I told him no and ignored him. He did it again a couple more times within the next few minutes (I decided that he wouldn't go out for another hour, since he hadn't eaten or drank a lot at the time), and I ignored him again. Finally, he paced the table and squatted to pee, as usual, and was he ever surprised! Nothing hit the floor! He turned around and looked at his privates in surprise, then walked off. I'm making him wear the belly band with the wet pad for a few minutes to make him a little uncomfortable. After an hour, I'll take him out and lavishly praise him if he pees. Something's gotta give here! :chair:

Brodie never pees in his crate, making it all night, and for 4-5 hours at a time during the day, so I KNOW he should be able to make it for an hour. Of course, I'll take him out sooner than that after eating or drinking a lot.

·
Super Moderator
13,468 Posts
If he is "frantically pacing" then you should take him out. Ignoring him at that time will not help if it's behavioral as he is clearly trying to tell you he needs to "go".

Do you take him out on a leash, or is your yard fenced?
Some dogs like to pee a little here and a little there. Are you giving him the opportunity to pee multiple times? Maybe keep him out a little longer so he can have more chances to empty his bladder.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
I would say that if he is giving you a signal to go out, then take him out.

They are not babies, I don't think that leaving him in a wet 'diaper' will help with his potty training. If anything you might be causing him harm as leaving him sitting in his own urine could actually burn his skin..it's like a chemical burn.

I would suggest going back to basics; use his kennel as a tool. He obvioulsy knows that door means he goes and does his business outside. It may just be that his bladder isn't developed as much as it should be. Did you get a chance to speak with the vet yet? What did they come back with on the urine sample?

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I dumped the belly band b/c Brodie figured out how to pee out of the side of it somehow, the little stinker! I doubt he wouldn't have gotten a urine burn, b/c I had a feminine pad inside (much like a baby's disposable diaper). Yesterday went much better than Saturday, thank God! He spent a lot of time outside yesterday, which made him very happy. I am crating him after giving him outside time and playtime, to avoid these accidents, or I'm attaching his leash to both him and me, with him laying on his bed at my feet. Getting up to let him out every 10-15 minutes gets really old - and he pees when he's let out each time! He's now also learned to frantically circle the dining room table, which is next to the back door, when he's serious about going out, which helps. I just have to be really FAST getting to the door in time!

Yes, I have a fenced in yard. He will rarely pee multiple times, even when let out for several minutes - not sure why, other than he gets distracted. He loves to prune my gardenia bush (arrggghhh), and chew on my mulch (not the toxic kind).

I also heard from another puppy owner on another forum that had the same problem as me, and he said that his puppy did the same exact thing until turning 4 months, driving him insane, then miraculously, it stopped, so I'm praying Brodie will do the same, and SOON!

I haven't heard from the vet yet, but I'm guessing that he doesn't have a UTI. When I find out, I'll let you know.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hulk was acting similarly last week. He even peed on me when we were laying on the couch... he kinda whimpered then it got warm, so i took him out (insert as many expletives as possible here) and he flooded the yard. I was a little worried because I monitor his water (he tends to overdo it), later we found that he discovered a leaky hose outside and was using it as a drinking fountain....well that our story, hope yours turns out to be something simple as well.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
This is actually a very normal thing....they seem to be doing good at potty training then regress. Just keep at him. He is only 4 months old. If he has to go, he has to go. He could also have an underdeveloped bladder which is causing him to pee more frequently. It usually catches up growth wise sooner or later but maybe bring it to your vets attention.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I had the same issue with Carmen. I had never seen a dog pee so much. She was constantly peeing in the house and it drove myself and my fiance crazy because she would pee and then run and hide so we knew she understood it was wrong. I was ready to pull my hair out, but then we moved and then all of a sudden she was housebroken. We would constantly clean the carpet at our old place, but it never seemed to do much good. I think he may be going in your home all of the time because he can still smell all of the urine. Dogs have phenomenal noses. Like I said once we moved Carmen may have had like 4 accidents and then she just seemed to get it.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Younger dogs do urinate a lot... they don't "learn" to hold it until they are old as that is a human established behavior... is it colored or smell funky? Have him checked for a UTI.

Puppies do not have the ability to fully control their bladder until after six months. All dogs are different like people but that is a good rule of thumb... until at least seven months all accidents are accidents and that is just the way it is. DO NOT scold if you do not catch in the act... no punishment either way... just make a big deal maybe stomp a bit as you walk over as saying NO NO NO thats bad... take him by the collar and walk him outside (done or not). if he finishes outside huge praise if not at least he was given the opportunity to do right.

This is often why it seems that they just "get it" one day

The last thing that I have to emphasize! enzyme cleaner enzyme cleaner enzyme cleaner enzyme cleaner and oh yea enzyme cleaner

it is instinct to "renew" scent markings... to aid them in over comming this issues (which puppies need more help with as they have not learned human ways)... remove the scent with an enzyme cleaner. the only true way to remove the scent! other cleaners do not cut it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts