Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new puppy Cali, 9 1/2 weeks, has started a little habit. Whenever my wife comes home after work, (Cali goes to wrk with me) Cali gets so excited she urinates all over when being pet. She also soed this when others come by and say hello, she will pee right where she is standing... anyone experience this, can it treated?

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
We rescued a boxer about 8 months ago.  We found that if we made a big deal of coming home, the more excited she was.  We make her sit and stay before anyone comes in the house.  Once the visitor is inside, we ask them to ignore the dog for a few minutes.  Once the visitor is in the house, we "free" the dog from the sit and let her greet them.  Gentle pets and low pitched voices also helped.  It seems to limit the peeing quite a bit.  She is less likely to pee if she see that the visitor isn't going to make a big deal.  Our dog trainer recommended the technique and it has been very successful.  The only person Casey will still pee for is my dad.  She doesn't see him very often, but she enjoys the heck out of him.

·
Registered
162 Posts
This is submissive urination - my Chloe used to do this a lot when she was young.  You can't stop it but you can help the dog - most will grow out of it by the time they are a year.

1.  When your wife comes home - TOTALLY IGNORE THE DOG - don't look at them, talk to them, or touch them until they have calmed down.  I still do this with my 11 month old.

2. MAKE ALL YOUR GUESTS DO THE SAME THING!

Chloe still will do this with men who come over - we have her crate in the livingroom, so she stays in there until she has clamed down enough to laydown - then we let her out - but we instruct all of our guests to not look/touch/or talk to her until her butt stops wiggling.  It also helps that we have 600 sq ft of tile on the first floor :) at least for clean-up anyway.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
My mothers chihuahua did this and it seemed like forever. Only when my father would walk through that front door... which made him very angry. He never made a fuss over her... he'd just walk in and boom right to the door... super excited and pee EVERYWHERE on the entrance.

She eventually grew out of it... but there was no stopping it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Our Jack Russel still does this. She will go outside to pee and will somehow keep reserves cause she will still pee if she hasnt seen you in a while. Thats why when I come home from school we have to get her outside before I see her or the house is a pool.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh great, sounds like this will be around at least for a while! I have already started the ignoring when Wife comes home, and it has helped, but not all the time. I think we need to prepare better for her arrival, and act a little more consistant to get the peeing to subside. I didn't know if there was any medication or anything we could get. I had a Boxer before that as she got older, had a leaky bladder, and would leave little puddles all over where she laid and sat. They gave us a medication to help control.

For now we will just continue to work with her on the excitement levels when greeting her. I did notice that the more excited one is greeting her, the more she pees. My Brother will come over and immediately I have him take her outside, she will sit down, he will pet her and she will pee a ton! She loves him!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts