Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello yall. Just wondering about the amount of exercise that is appropriate for a 10wk old pup? My chato turned 10wks today, and he's getting big. I would like to start walking him every morning, but I do not want to over do it. A 15-20min walk should be ok? Or is this too much? Thanx.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Too much. *I tend to follow the recommendations of canine sports physiologist, Christine Zink, DVM, PhD, in suggesting no forced exercise for puppies. *This means no leash walks if it can be avoided. *Here's an article which discusses this concept a bit more:

http://www.marithymegoldens.com/dogs_and_exercise.pdf

Here are some quotes from Dr. Zink:
No forced exercise before 6 months of age. To me that means no walks on leash. That's not to say you can't walk with him off leash around your property or let him run in the park, or train basic obedience and early jump training. Right after 6 months, most of his exercise would need to be strength exercises, like fetch games, tug, jumping, scent games, stationary strength training exercises. I do not think about taking my dogs on a leash walk of greater than 20 minutes until they are after 14 months of age. And only would start leash walks at all after about 9 months, gradually building up to 20 min at 14 months of age.
This is her explanation of "jump training:"
I start jump training at the age of 8 weeks, when I get the pup. But only with poles on the ground. I dont' let the dog jump (at my request - they can do on their own other things) higher than carpus height before 6 months, elbow height before 14 months, then build gradually after that. There is SO much more to learning how to jump than the height of the jump.
(Please note, this does not mean you restrict free exercise - that in which the puppy chooses to engage on its own - unless it's a situation where the pup just doesn't know when to stop. *It is the repetitive impact that is the larger problem, as opposed to the sporadic impact of puppies in play.)

Others have a rule of thumb that a puppy can do a leash walk of five minutes per month of age - following your puppy could walk 12.5 minutes right now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
We have a 4 month old and we try to take her for walks daily. She goes for a 10 minute walk at lunch time after being cooped up in crate most of the morning. Then we go on a 30-40 minute walk after we eat dinner. If we don't take for a good long walk she goes nuts in the house. Are we doing her harm? She doesn't seem to mind it and she is learning not to pull. We use a Martingale collar which is a limited choke which doesn;t cinge up or lock like the metal ones do.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Not every puppy who goes for long walks will damage their bones and joints.  You won't know, really, if it's a problem until it's too late, in most cases.  There are probably a number of dogs who had long walks as a puppy and didn't have major problems as an adult - it's simply a risk factor.  I tend to let my puppies go nuts in the house - it's great exercise for them, because they can limit themselves, and it's fun to watch. :wink:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts