Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, time for a serious question regarding expenses on keeping a boxer.  What type of expenses should I be expecting when bringing home a new puppy and it's life?  I know there is a lot of stuff... crate, food, toys, vet bills, vaccinations, vet bills, etc.  I need help convincing my wife that we can "afford" to have a new member to our family.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
should be bout the same as any other dog so long as the pup is well bred...cant give much on figures as each householdis different and each dog is different

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
They cost less than skin kids! :wink:  :lol:
Seriously, if the pup is healthy, you're mainly looking at food and shots.  It's not as bad as you would think.  I put off getting a pup for ten years because of the "expense" and it's really not that bad.
Z

G

·
0 Posts
So Far, I have spent about $500 to get the puppy
$60 in vet bills/shots/worming
$300 in start up with the crate, toys, etc
and have about $120 more in shots in the next month or two

so that will be about $1000 start up

then it is maybe $150-$200 more each year in vets and about $20-$50 a month in food/toys depending on brand of food and how many and expense of toys
But that is just me

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Here's the breakdown for one puppy for the past 6 weeks.

Crate and toys                            $150.00
Vet (shots through 16 weeks)       $158.00  (saved $50.00 by paying for them all at once)
Vet bill for parasites -                  $  68.00  (2 meds for giardia & stool sample exam)
More toys                                   $  50.00
Food & Treats                             $ 158.00
Collar & Leash                            $  65.00

At least these are the ones I can remember off the top of my head.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Those are great lists!! It has been ages since I have had a puppy and things have changed, but that's a pretty realistic amount.

Also, you may want to take a look at a Sticky topic I did in the puppy section, it's called "what to have on hand when you bring home that new puppy"...Tons of valuable information....

·
Registered
905 Posts
What can make it expensive is having one big outlay all at once in the first week or so.  If you have decided that you are definitely going to get a dog, then you can take the sting out of things by buying maybe one thing a week in the time while you are looking for your puppy.  So maybe buy the bed one week, a bag of food the next, some toys the week after that, etc. etc. instead of doing it all in one big shop that could end up costing you a couple of hundred quid.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
First year with Hanna - with all shots, a spay, routine vet checks, three times for ear infections, and twice for allergies I spent about $1700.00 in Vet Bills.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts