Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone who has experience with a deaf dog has noticed and fears the come along with it.

Gypsy is afraid of the dark and I was thinking that it kind of makes sense. I mean she can't hear and at night we are now taking her sight.

Any opinions

·
Registered
163 Posts
Is she sleeping in the room with you? I would think a night light or a small table lamp might help as long as it doesn't disrupt your sleep. We have to aquarium's in the room where our guys crate is so it's never completely dark.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No she is fine in the house, she sleeps in the living room but it's taking her out to the bathroom or just sitting around in the yard after dark, she is skittish.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Poor baby. I'm sure it is scary out there to her. How secluded/ lit is it out there? Just wondering if maybe even a few of those solar lights in the yard would be comforting to her.

She is so cute btw. How old is she now?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We just got some of those lights yesterday was a bit better. Shadows freak her out lol

Thank you she is going on 6 months

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I wonder if she's reacting to changes the warmer weather brings. I remember birds, flowers, and leaves blowing on trees startled my puppy at first. There are lots of new smells out there she has not experienced before. It's been down to 35 degrees here, but I'm hoping Canada is seeing winter fade.

She should get used to new things if you expose her to them gradually. Take her through a car wash, and down a busy street and bike path. Stores are good, and playgrounds where she can see kids running around. I did short trips, but exposed them several times to each new surrounding.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've noticed Talos being enchanted by things like the leaves blowing. We had a really windy day and when he could here it going through a big tree it spooked him. He's chased a few shadows. He also went into guard mode when my husband was being silly and as he was coming down the stairs he started humming the imperial march from star wars. Talos couldn't see him and his stance completely changed. He growled and barked. Then as soon as he realized it was dad he was nothing but butt wiggles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts