Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd posed we were looking at a rescue, and we adopted him. I know I need to get a picture up. Poor guy ended up being heartworm positive on a test the rescue did after we adopted him. It is so scary that we need to go through this treatment when he's been through so much. We can't have the vet school do the dental surgery until he's clear.

Anyway, he's the sweetest guy, but mostly white, with a circle around one eye. He has a long nose (much more like a Staffy), and we worried about traveling with him where there might be breed restrictions.

We did the Embark advanced test, and it came back 100% Boxer. I was floored, and there are even photos included with his results of Boxers that are most likely his siblings. They look like Boxers. I'll get a photo on when I can figure out how. Has anyone used these DNA services? They do diagnose genetic diseases, and there was something about the ALT where we should make his vet aware he may test on the low side of normal.

I don't need a 100% Boxer, but can't believe he's not mixed with several other breeds.

Any input welcome - thanks,

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
Well the goods news, is that if you have DNA, results that says he's a Boxer, then he's a Boxer! :)

And as long as you don't plan to live anywhere that has BSL, (Breed Specific Legislature) you can be free to discuss "theory's," online. But if you ever had to move somewhere else his, heritage could be an "issue?" Anything you are "someone else," say's on here. Could be used in court by a "Good Enough Lawyer" against you and your dog.

Big picture thing and no I am not a lawyer.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
First congratulations! and I think its wonderful you adopted this guy. Thats pretty cool he ended up being 100% boxer. Just keep his results with you if anything ever comes up. I think he would likely need to be proved not to be a boxer, or show aggressive tendencies. But after all these years on this board I think you are one of the responsible ones who keeps their dogs under control and not running off lead. I would probably share the DNA info with he vet, maybe make them a copy to look at. I hope all goes well with his treatments.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
So glad you are adopting this guy and he is working out for you. I have seen some long nosed boxers actually pretty frequently but now I have these two with more Euro in them a lot of dogs I see look long in the nose to me! Enjoy your new dog I’m sure he is so grateful to be off the street and a place to call home and having someone love him you did a wonderful thing for him!

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I didn't realize we'd be in for a summer of treating heartworm. He came into the state with a negative heartworm test in January, but a CBC picked up something in February before a neuter, that was missed. Dental surgery was cancelled at the vet school until early September when he should be finished with treatment. No good deed goes unpunished. The temperament is very sweet so far.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts