Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd posed we were looking at a rescue, and we adopted him. I know I need to get a picture up. Poor guy ended up being heartworm positive on a test the rescue did after we adopted him. It is so scary that we need to go through this treatment when he's been through so much. We can't have the vet school do the dental surgery until he's clear.

Anyway, he's the sweetest guy, but mostly white, with a circle around one eye. He has a long nose (much more like a Staffy), and we worried about traveling with him where there might be breed restrictions.

We did the Embark advanced test, and it came back 100% Boxer. I was floored, and there are even photos included with his results of Boxers that are most likely his siblings. They look like Boxers. I'll get a photo on when I can figure out how. Has anyone used these DNA services? They do diagnose genetic diseases, and there was something about the ALT where we should make his vet aware he may test on the low side of normal.

I don't need a 100% Boxer, but can't believe he's not mixed with several other breeds.

Any input welcome - thanks,

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I didn't realize we'd be in for a summer of treating heartworm. He came into the state with a negative heartworm test in January, but a CBC picked up something in February before a neuter, that was missed. Dental surgery was cancelled at the vet school until early September when he should be finished with treatment. No good deed goes unpunished. The temperament is very sweet so far.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts