Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today hubby was walking Donner down-town (small town, but busy area, good for seeing different things) when a little old lady stopped about a block away and waited for them. This in itself is unusual, they get a lot of the "stay away from the pit-bull" BS. When they got up to her Donner immediately sat down and let her pet him and showed all his tricks. When they got ready to move along she said with tears in her eyes, "he's beautiful, we always had boxers when I was a little girl" When hubby was telling me about it I got a little teary too. So proud of my boys good behavior, just had to brag a little

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
:) Aw! Its so good to hear there are some nice decent people out there. Great story =)

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Way to go Donner, you did good.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Touching story.  Does my heart good to hear about people that do appreciate our babies.  WTG Donner for being such a good boy!!!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Good Boy Donner!! I really think we tend to misunderstand "older" people. My MIL is in a nursing home and suffers from alzheimers. When me and the hubby last went to see her in GA, we packed up the kids and Maddie. Wasn't sure if it was alright to bring Maddie so I called the home and they said as long as she is leashed and well behaved I could bring her in. Well, she was leashed anyway.  :?  Let me tell you....I don't think there was one person in there that did not come up and pet Maddie and just smile. And no, they weren't all crazy! It was so refreshing to see people actually coming up to her and petting her and she was so well behaved with everyone. I'm use to people running the other way when they see her. If I had the time I would really consider doing some volunteer work with her and bringing her around to visit with these people. It really does bring a smile to your face!
Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread, it just brought back the memories!  :wink:

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's not a highjack, lol but it's a great story. I've worked on a couple alzheimers units and to see the interaction between pts and pets is awesome and touching. I've heard some of the best stories from folks who can't remember most things but they can tell stories about their pets. Thank God we get to keep those memories when all else fails! Also, I'm SURE the dogs recognize that most of these folks are in fragile health and they act accordingly, amazing how "in tune" with us they are :D

·
Registered
278 Posts
I believe dogs have a sense of the elderly.  Even puppies.  I was also shocked when an elderly lady my husband does odd jobs for asked what kind of puppy we got and when he mentioned a boxer, she said oh my goodness our family had a few boxers and they are beautiful, wonderful dogs.  When we took Jaxon to meet her, she was so impressed with what a handsome gentleman he was.  He was very somber around her, which is unusual for his normal behavior.  This also prompted her to dig out her old photo albums and show us pictures of her big boy.  Also, it was sad because she said how she'd love another boxer, but at her age (89) she just couldn't.  I guess when we think of older folks we think of little yippy dogs?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Great story and Donner was a perfect gentlemen....High 5's...

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
way to go Donner....great story! Just goes to show that people who are really aware enought to KNOW they are Boxers, know how great they are! :D

·
Registered
294 Posts
That's awesome and what a good boy!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts