Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question everyone. Since I'm new to the breed, I had a question on "eye boogers".  Comparing my new boxer, 6.5wks old, to my chihuahua, it seems my boxer gets a bit more teary and residue around his inner eye region (tear region) than my chihuahuah. Is this normal for this breed. I mean, it's not a lot of tear residue, but just wanted to clear this up. He's going for his next vaccine on Tuesday, I'll ask the vet as well, but just wanted some feedback from you all. Thanx

·
Registered
770 Posts
Often my boxer Daisy gets quite bad tear stains below her eyes which show up really badly because she is white! I would just ask for the vets advice when you next go, just to be on the safe side.

Heather

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I have to wipe Chloe's eye booger daily- just to keep her face clean. She doesnt always have them, but she will get a little teary. She is healthy-just is just a little girly girl so she she cries alot (that is what i tell myself):lol:

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
It seems to be a bit of a problem with all boxers, Samson has it & my other 2 did as well. I seem to remember from someone I was talking to that some foods seem to make it worse, but for the live of me, I don't remember which foods..I know, not a lot of help, huh?

Ask your vet tho, they are always a good source, esp if he/she is familiar with the breed...

·
Registered
19 Posts
From what I've read it has to do with the extra skin around their eyelids.  I could wipe eye boogies every 20 minutes ... literally.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yup, eye boogers are pretty common, some days are better than others. Since he's going in for vaccinations, it can't hurt to have it checked just in case.

The quality of food your feeding can have an impact. A very poor quality food can cause your dog to have more tearing. I learned a lot about food quality myself in the past months, and since switching to something high quality, her eyes tear significantly less. Right now, I'm rotating her on Solid Gold, but have also fed Canidae and has good success with that also.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My dog has always had them pretty regularly. It's worse during the allergy seasons. The doctor said is has to do with the fact that their eyes are droopy and tend to catch more dust, etc. than other breeds. If you notice the boogers being green or yellowy, you should probably talk to the vet and get some medicine. Ours gives us eye ointment that we put in 3 times a day for a few days and it knocks it right out almost immediately. It's inexpensive too. The ointment lasts forever so when his eyes start acting up again we will use it for a fews days again and we don't bother going to the vet about it each time. I only really use it if the eyes are really goopey or they seem to bother him.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Braddock's eye boogars have noticeably changed beginning the day after he saw the vet and got his rabies and kennel cough vaccinations.  Anyone think any of it is related.  They are continuing to get worse as they have gone to normal clear to normal yellow/white to heavier yellow/white.  More fuel to the fire as he got into about 2 1/2 lbs. of raw grd. beef off the kitchen counter last night, so he's been recovering from I'm sure severe indigestion as well.  Just hoping someone had a comment or suggestions...  Oh yeah, I called the vet and she said that it shouldn't have anything to do with the shots.  You think he could have picked something up at the vet.  The timing is all to perfect!

·
Registered
74 Posts
[quote="Braddock\";p=\"2831":1qomqp2c]Braddock's eye boogars have noticeably changed beginning the day after he saw the vet and got his rabies and kennel cough vaccinations.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Amazing because I have been noticing Cactus' mass of eye boogers!!!  They are huge and constant..... at least I am not alone and it sounds like it doesn't warrant another trip to the vet.
~Anne
Cactus' Mommy

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yes most boxer suffer from eye redness sometimes it gets worse especialy when he wakes up or late at night I have asked the doctor several times and he said the same thing like you mentioned above, He gave me Tobrex it does get better if you apply it 3 times daily.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
heather-mumofdaisy\";p=\"1511 said:
Often my boxer Daisy gets quite bad tear stains below her eyes which show up really badly because she is white! I would just ask for the vets advice when you next go, just to be on the safe side.

Heather
Same thing with jessie...  she tears more when we are outside or if its windy...  but because her face is white its much more noticable then maggie...

i wet a paper towl with warm water and wipe it off...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Even though I am late coming to the party, I just wanted to throw my two cents into the fountain, as it were.  Sokratez has eye boogies on and off.  Sometimes they are really disgusting, other days they are not more than a little spot in the corner of his eye.  My vet told me that generally if the dog isn't behaving in a manner that would suggest something is wrong with his eyes, all I need to do is gently wipe the eye boogies away with a warm, wet paper towel.  He did also say that Mossaloid breeds (Masitffs, bulldogs, boxers, etc.) have a tendancy to get more pronounced eye deposits, as he put it.  So unless the dog is constantly "rubbing" his eyes and behaving as if his eyes are bothering him, you probably should have nothing to worry about as far as the eye boogies are concerned.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts