Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past week or so, Xena has had increased eye discharge that's yellowish in color. I wipe it off but more comes back. What could cause this? Could this be an eye infection? Should I call the vet and bring her in?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Ziggi had eye gunk like that when he was younger, the vet gave us a gel for it but said that it was from the fur around his eye rubbing the eye and that it would probably bet better as he got older.  It is better but he still has eye buggers we have to clean out daily but they are no longer the yellowish color.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
It sounds like it could be an infection, esp as there is a yellow discharge..Do her eyes seem red or imflamed at all? Angel has allergies and has a discharge, but it's white and looks more like "sleepy goobers"..Poor girl...It might be worth having the vet take a look...Buck had an infection like that, I believe it was conjunctivitis (sp)..Took some antibiotics for about 10 days and he was fine..

·
Registered
905 Posts
I would definitely go to the vet to make sure it's not a corneal ulcer.  Tink had a weepy, inflamed eye a few months ago, so I took her in and the Vet diagnosed a corneal ulcer.  These need to be treated ASAP as the longer they are there, the less effective topical treatment is, and they often require surgery.

Tink was prescribed antibiotic eye-drops to be administered twice a day (and she fought like a tiger every time she saw them coming) as well as an oral antibiotic that had to be "syringed" into her mouth (which she loved, for some reason).  Treatment was initially for 10 days, and thankfully she responded really well to it.  After that, I just finished the eye drops (about another week) and she got the all-clear.  I took her into the vet the day after I first noticed her eye, and he said that was probably why the treatment worked so well.

Hopefully Xena has nothing as serious as an ulcer, but if the discharge has been there for a week, I'd definitely bring her into the vet immediately, just to be on the safe side.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts