Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
arkblue]

I don't know what to think here...Mic and Indy had that eye mucus at probably 3 months old...we were thinking allergies...then it turned greenish and off to the vet we went...after a 7 day course of medicated drops they cleared up...three days later the mucus started up again and was rapidly greenish again...went back in...another 10 days of medicated drops...we have had about 4 - 5 days clear...Mic has been congested anyway...not coughing, but snoring louder and being very pink...gave him benedryl and the color settled down...but, this morning, both of them had TONS of mucus and while it is not green yet...it's very thick and stringy(sorry to be gross) I don't know whether to just give them both benedryl and call it allergies or what?  

Any experience is appreciated!

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Lola has that problem a lot.  Part of it is due to allergies.  She has had conjunctivas twice, so they may have that also.  I have two different drops on hand for when she had that, so if I see it start to get bad & green I give her the drops and it goes away!  I also give her benadryl if she

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Donner gets terrible "eye goobies" too. Especially 1st thing in the morning, they're usually a clear/yellow color. He doesn't seem bothered by them or itchy, so I just wash his face and he's ok. He also has really droopy lower lids I wonder if that has anything to do with it? Our other boxer, Sophie (waiting at the bridge) had no droop to her eyelids and I never saw her eyes runny :think:

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I may have a suggestion, but first I was wondering......Is the eye goobs the only thing mic and indy have?  If you raise the upper lid is it clear and white or pink with what looks like tons of road map lines running through? Do you remeber the name of the eye drops the vet gave you?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know that it's a big deal UNLESS it's green in which case it can mean infection...but, we seem to have some version of that pretty frequently!

I'm trying to give them both steady benedryl...30 mg every 8 hours...we'll see if that helps!

Oh, and they both have very droopy lower lids...maybe that has something to do with it! I do know that as of right now neither of them has red eyes...no bloodshot or anything...so benedryl is helping!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aktrol is the name....it says Neomycin and Polymyxin B Sulfates and Dexamethasone Ophthalmic Suspension USP...they had the red road map thing going the first time...but, I am not seeing that this time...at least not after benedryl!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Okay Neo-Poly Dex is a good one for that and it is for allergy/infected eyes which is what they sound like they have.....I think the droop in the eyes has some to do with it, catching dust particles and what not....The red road map upper eye is a tell sign of infection........

1 - 8 of 8 Posts