Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Been a while since I posted, but we have recently had some issues with darcie. At first she scratched her eye while in the woods I take her too, so we took her to the vets and hey gave us some antibiotic drops, this was at the end December. Now we're coming to the end of January and she still has the eye ulcer, but just the other day she scratched her eye with her own paw and now she has now got a blood spot above the ulcer.

Has anyone had any experience with eye ulcers, how long do they take to heal? Can I do anything else other than give her the antibiotic drops?

Look forward to hearing the replies
Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
7,007 Posts
Eye ulcers have to be treated very aggressively. We had a girl who decided to jump through a screen window and scratched her eye on the cedar shrub that was just outside the window.

Did your vet do an eye stain? Our girl was put on special antibiotic eye drops every hour on the hour for 2 weeks. At first it looked like it was helping but then much like your girl she took her paw and reopened the wounds. Our next step was surgery :(

The vet lightly scored the eye in a grid like manner. They explained that it would help the eye heal. We then had to once again give eye drops every hour, one was an antibioic and the other was actually made out of her own blood. They took blood, and spun it to get the serum out of the blood so we were using her own body to help heal her eye. This took 3 weeks and she had to wear a cone the entire time so so didnt re injure her eye. All in all after the surgery it took approx. 6 weeks of treatment. We were at the vet twice a week for eye stains and get new serum made up.

In the end we were able to save her eye and vision. She had very minimal scarring to the eye.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She has been to the vet three times and every time the vet did an eye stain and said to carry on using the drops.

I'm just wondering whether there are any stronger drops that the vet can give because the current ones are stopping her from being irritated but the ulcer just isn't going away.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
What kind of drops? There are ointments that adhere to the eye better than drops so perhaps you can ask the vet about that? Hope Darcie is on the mend soon!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It says on the box Chloramphenicol eye drops BP, the dosage is 0.5 W/V. I was under the impression these are antibiotic drops.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what the vet said it was, but they never did a corneal Scrape or anything. Just put in the iodine solution to make the ulcer show and then gave us an oral anti-inflammatory and the antibiotic drops. They haven't even offered to do a scrape then cover with a contact lense.

·
Super Moderator
7,007 Posts
If the eye isnt healing with just the drops you will need to have a corneal scaping done like my girl did. Once that was done we were finally on the road to recovery :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Right, on saturday we took darcie back to the vets and they gave us some new drops, and arranged an appointment for today. I have just got back and they have told us the eye isn't healing, so they want to do a grid keratotomy, should I go along with this or should I get another opinion? She's only been on drops for a month.

·
Super Moderator
7,007 Posts
The drops should start working right away, if your vet isnt seeing improvement after 2 weeks then you need to try something else. A 2nd opinion never hurts, that way you know you have made the right decision based on 2 peoples professional opinions.

·
Super Moderator
7,007 Posts
Without surgery she could lose her eye. We had the option of attempting to save the eye or just having it removed, she was 10 or 11 yrs old at this point. We opted to try and save the eye, thankfully it worked out very well in the end. You will have to cone her, head to the pet store and get the soft cones. They handle them better than the hard plastic ones.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 8 year old boxer was just diagnosed with a corneal ulcer. This is her first one but it is rather large. They gave us oral pain meds, anitibitoc meds, and also an eye mosturizer. The vet also advised her wearing a plastic cone when not supervised. She does try to scratch at her eye if I am not looking; however, she is not handling the cone well. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get her to adapt or take to the cone better than what she is now? I am afraid to her leave her tomorrow with cone on with the way she reacted to it tonight. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
How does she do without the cone? I mean is she scratching/bothering her eye? If she is then you dont really have a lot of choices....she will have to wear the cone. Did the Vet use the term ulcer? Or abrasion? The reason I ask is there are 3 layers or regions to the cornea. The Epithelium(injury to this part is called an abrasion), the Stroma(injury to this part is called an ulcer), and the Descemet's membrane(a serious ulcer that extends deep into this region is the most serious)

My Gouda had 4 corneal ulcers courtesy of my cat over her lifetime and I know if they arent treated or get worse, they can be very serious to the point of rupturing and the eyeball itself can collapse.

I was lucky with the eye drops and treatments Gouda never really bothered with her eye after a day or two. Is there any way you can watch her and not leave her alone for a day or two? Or perhaps someone else can supervise her? I'm sorry I dont have more suggestions.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Good info re: layers

How does she do without the cone? I mean is she scratching/bothering her eye? If she is then you dont really have a lot of choices....she will have to wear the cone. Did the Vet use the term ulcer? Or abrasion? The reason I ask is there are 3 layers or regions to the cornea. The Epithelium(injury to this part is called an abrasion), the Stroma(injury to this part is called an ulcer), and the Descemet's membrane(a serious ulcer that extends deep into this region is the most serious)

My Gouda had 4 corneal ulcers courtesy of my cat over her lifetime and I know if they arent treated or get worse, they can be very serious to the point of rupturing and the eyeball itself can collapse.

I was lucky with the eye drops and treatments Gouda never really bothered with her eye after a day or two. Is there any way you can watch her and not leave her alone for a day or two? Or perhaps someone else can supervise her? I'm sorry I dont have more suggestions.
Thanks for the useful information. I brought Mia in for an exam when she started squinting. The dye revealed a small ulcer so we put her on Tobramycin for a week. At the follow-up, there were two small ulcers. We're trying another week of drops, and it was difficult to digest the barrage of information the vet provided during the exam. Info about the layers is key to understanding what is going on.

Mia is 9 and has a habit of trying to squeeze through the patio door as it opens if she sees a squirrel outside. I did not connect this as the possible cause of her ulcer, but I recall her doing this after the first ulcer was diagnosed. I'm hoping this was the cause and that a combination of the antibiotics and avoiding future door crashes helps heal the ulcer, which I now understand is affecting at least the first layer (epitheleal). Debriding with a cotton swab did not remove any of this layer, which I assume indicates the epithelium is still well attached.

·
Registered
450 Posts
My first boxer (years ago) had a corneal ulcer but it was caused by dry eye. She was given an ointment for her eye. My dogs have never done well with those cones recently I saw those ones that are like a donut and they blow up they go around the neck where the collar goes to keep the paws away from the face. The other thing I have seen done is take one of those pool noodles those cheap foam things and slide the collar thru the hole and use that to block face scratching. I had a dog once with an ear flap tear they put a cone on her and I thought she was going to break all of her legs and neck trying to get it off I don't like those things.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My first boxer (years ago) had a corneal ulcer but it was caused by dry eye. She was given an ointment for her eye. My dogs have never done well with those cones recently I saw those ones that are like a donut and they blow up they go around the neck where the collar goes to keep the paws away from the face. The other thing I have seen done is take one of those pool noodles those cheap foam things and slide the collar thru the hole and use that to block face scratching. I had a dog once with an ear flap tear they put a cone on her and I thought she was going to break all of her legs and neck trying to get it off I don't like those things.
I'm hoping to avoid the cone for now, although I've purchased a Comfy Cone as well as the inflatable type in preparation...although I'm not sure the latter will prevent her from rubbing at the eye.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I hope it does and I hope her surgery goes well too. I haven't had to have eye surgery on any of my dogs yet (I hope I never do) but I had to have it done on one of my cats and it was a real pain until it healed eye drops several times a day and ointment too I don't know how many bites and scratches I had until that thing healed! But at least dogs are easier to deal with! Good luck!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Superficial ulcer exposed with dye on Mia's right eye

2019 Mia Eye Dye.jpg

Still just treating with antibiotic drops until next week.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts