Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody had their boxer develope facial paralysis?
My Bailee developed left side facial paralysis in August of last year. They determined it to be idiopathic yet she had ear infection in both ears. Her ears looked very clean to me and had no odor but the infection is deep in the canal. What I've read online is the nerve C7 in dogs goes through the canal near the end called the inner canal yet they still determined it to be idiopathic just by otoscope and only treated her with ear drops. I also had a chest xray which was normal and took her to get acupuncture and she received 14 treatments. She did get the ability to blink again and also got some ear movement back so she was able to produce those cute little wrinkles on the top of her head. The jowl has come back up but is pulled tightly like she had a facelift. But all in all she was doing really well with that. Now in the last week she developed right side facial paralysis and again same affects appear... the jowl on the right side has dropped, the inability to blink normally and her right ear doesn't move. So again when examined she had deep ear infection. So they gave me ear drops again and I started her on acupuncture treatments. I showed my vet the articles on ear infections especially in the middle and inner ear canals and how they were treated with ear drops and oral antibiotics. So I finally got oral antibiotics. Is there anything else I should be doing to try and help my girl? Is there a vitamin or supplement I should be giving her? Any help is so appreciated.
Here's some pics of yesterdays acupuncture.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Was just at the vet last night asking about this. Our Ruby had a bout of Vesitbular Disease back in November and stopped blinking her left eye for a while... that side seems to have recovered well but over the weekend we noticed the right side is now not blinking and she's drooling a lot more out of that side of her mouth. The vet had a look in her ears and didn't see any signs of infection. We left without any medication or ear drops (our choice) but last time she was treated with steroids and antibiotics. Not sure if those helped her or if the left side just got better on it's own.
We're going to wait and see how it progresses from here. She gained about 10 lbs when she was on the steroids before (not that she's overweight at all) so we'll monitor that. If she gets any worse we can go back and get the meds for her. She seems normal in all other areas though....just getting older.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was just at the vet last night asking about this. Our Ruby had a bout of Vesitbular Disease back in November and stopped blinking her left eye for a while... that side seems to have recovered well but over the weekend we noticed the right side is now not blinking and she's drooling a lot more out of that side of her mouth. The vet had a look in her ears and didn't see any signs of infection. We left without any medication or ear drops (our choice) but last time she was treated with steroids and antibiotics. Not sure if those helped her or if the left side just got better on it's own.
We're going to wait and see how it progresses from here. She gained about 10 lbs when she was on the steroids before (not that she's overweight at all) so we'll monitor that. If she gets any worse we can go back and get the meds for her. She seems normal in all other areas though....just getting older.
How old us Ruby? My Bailee has all the symptons Ruby has this time..can't blink, drools and rt jowl drooping. I took her yesterday to a neurologist and he said could take upto a year but he believes she'll get better. Her lt side started in August last year and the jowl doesn't droop anymore and her nose pulls to the left but the skin looks like she had a facelift on that side! Most Human women would like that result! But just like Ruby, Bailee acts normal in every other aspect of her sweet precious life. I pray Ruby's medical condition heals quickly. We are so Blessed to have them in our life.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts