Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week was test day for our Grade 2 class. We were doing well in classes and worked every day together. We failed and failed misserably at it.

I'm not making excuses but there was a lot of factors that played into our failure.

I guess i was just looking for some validation to all our hard work. I know we do need some more work in a couple areas and we continue to work at it together.

The thing that bothers me the most is her failure to do the verbal down during testing. She was the first in class master it yet during testing she failed. I just know it was the gentleman in the wheelchair distracted her. He didnt do it on purpose. It was definately Karma. My thought is she thought it was my mom and wanted to go see her. (My mom has been wheelchair bound for a few months)

I didnt get to spend the day with her like i normally would. We would work all day but instead i had to rely on my teenage sons to help since i was at a stressful contract negotiation all day that was sprung on me last minute. Karma has also started her first heat cycle and didnt want those panties on. I was feeling guilty from not spending all day with her and she was distracted by the male dogs in the room as well. I wasnt using my stern and in charge attitude either. So really i know if i had given her the proper directions she would have been successful. Basically i have learned from my big mistake and am taking from it.

We did some new training today with Desi and her walking together. My new approach to this great feat looks promising. I had to re evaluate my prior method because it wasnt working.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
868 Posts
Awww sounds like it was just the timing of it all :( Keep your chin up!! Testing is a touchy topic for some trainers. What is grade 2? Is that like intermediate ? I am just curious what was required for the testing.

As mentioned above live and learn... :) Every dog is different! Works in different ways! AND most certainly every owner and dog combination is unique :)

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Wow! $350?!? And they don't let you take it again at that price? I recommend PetsMart if one near you has a good trainer. If you don't pass or you aren't completely satisfied/confident after the first try, you can take it again for free. And it's $109.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Scholars and Collars pass everyone... that's how Nikki moved up lol. They realize some days dogs or owners just have bad days. They watch you through the whole session and help you as you go. You can also go back whenever you want to watch a class for free or take your dog for $25 but you need to confirm a spot if you bring your dog to a class.

Don't feel too down. My sister also failed grade 2 and her dog was very well trained. At least you have the foundations to keep practicing at home. Karma likely picked up on your stress from the day. I'm sure if you could redo it she would pass :) And she got a great picture!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I am so sorry you didn't pass your class-it sounds like you both worked so hard. I really just wanted to say that her picture is ADORABLE!! She is just a cutie-I woulda paid $350 for the pic :)!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Layla went to Petsmart as well. Our teacher had been training for 17 years and it was well worth it. Your right about the class training us. I realized finally after all these years what I needed to be for my dog. I also realized that I had to have a clear mind and fully concentrated on the class for it to work for Layla. One week I went in a little cocky because Layla had been doing so much better than everyone else. Boy was I put in my place. She was a disaster!

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
Quite a few years back I had one of my boxers in obedience classes and she did failrly well in class. Well the day of the final test her brain went to mush and she got a mark of 20 and the instructor said he was being generous. He also happened to be an obedience judge. Haveing said that paying $350 for a class I have never heard of.:cry_baby:

·
Registered
602 Posts
Is this the canine good citizen class?

Don't beat yourself up. These things happen and sometimes the testing, the distrations, the day of the test... are just not in the cards. It does not mean that your dog did not do great or is doing great with the lessons. It does not mean you are a failure. You did not FAIL!!! Vince Lombardi a famous football coach once said.
"We did not loose the game, we just didn't have enough time."
This is the same for you and your dog. You did not fail, you just didn't have enough time. Maybe a bit more time and practice will make this all work out. Why not ask if you can take the test again? Offer to pay a small fee to take the test but not have to take the entire course. And if they say yes, practice and work around distrations. This way you can try again and maybe have more luck. Build your confidence and your dogs confidence so that all will work out beautifully.

Sending positive thoughts your way. You and your dog are WINNERS! The tester just has not seen it yet.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We debated on the PetSmart classes. I wanted more complex training than what they offer even after my aunt raved on and on about their classes. When we were looking we wanted more than your basics and really i did learn what i wanted and more.

I trained 2 dogs at the same time, just one went to classes for it. I do feel a sense of accomplishment so its not a waste.

·
Registered
868 Posts
We debated on the PetSmart classes. I wanted more complex training than what they offer even after my aunt raved on and on about their classes. When we were looking we wanted more than your basics and really i did learn what i wanted and more.

I trained 2 dogs at the same time, just one went to classes for it. I do feel a sense of accomplishment so its not a waste.

As long as you got what you needed its all worth it!!! As I tell my students.. when you go to class, we can only train the owners! An hour or so once a week is not enough to train the dog! So even if they didn't get a piece of paper that says she passed ...eventually she will pass it because you have the knowledge to continue her training! :)

·
Registered
499 Posts
Layla went to Petsmart as well. Our teacher had been training for 17 years and it was well worth it. Your right about the class training us. I realized finally after all these years what I needed to be for my dog. I also realized that I had to have a clear mind and fully concentrated on the class for it to work for Layla. One week I went in a little cocky because Layla had been doing so much better than everyone else. Boy was I put in my place. She was a disaster!

I reread your post and mine and it hurts my heart to think that you blame yourself for any perceived failure. And I hope my post didn't suggest that I thought the same. I did learned a great deal from the training but there are always circumstances that will effect any outcome. So we just keep trying.

I think it is wonderful that your puppy has such a strong bond with your mom that she was paying attention to the wheelchair. A good and kind dog is better than any diploma. The photo or painting (?) of your puppy is beautiful and truly reflects her kind and noble spirit.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I reread your post and mine and it hurts my heart to think that you blame yourself for any perceived failure. And I hope my post didn't suggest that I thought the same. I did learned a great deal from the training but there are always circumstances that will effect any outcome. So we just keep trying.

I think it is wonderful that your puppy has such a strong bond with your mom that she was paying attention to the wheelchair. A good and kind dog is better than any diploma. The photo or painting (?) of your puppy is beautiful and truly reflects her kind and noble spirit.
Your post did not suggest failure. No offense taken. It is a photo, the training place hires a pro and she does do some touch ups and softens the images.

No offense taken by anyone. I knew posting here that the members would be supportive and kind. It's why i enjoy my time here, everyone loves their pooches and are here for help and support. I might not comment on every post, but most times i do at least glance at them. I have learned a lot in my time here and especially the love we all have for our Boxers.

I could have taken the easy way to training and put my other boxer Desi into classes instead but Karma is my challenge. She is very independent, head strong and stubborn so we did the classes for the extra one on one time and to create a better bond between us. She takes direction well when i give proper direction. She is a very smart girl. We do know a lot and it pleases me she picks new things up quickly.

She knows sit, stand, down, get in, look at me, lets go (loose leash walking beside me 75% of the time) stay with me(loose leash but doesnt have to be right beside me) leave it (in several different circumstances), stay in a sit and down for at least 5 minutes each, wait, back up, bang, shake paw, other paw, high five, other five, wave, bang (down on her side), go get it(retrieve a toy), bring it back, settle and sit, out (drop it) lets play, come (about 25% but still working on this), go lay down, crate, she did learn jumping a hurdle in class, and we can do a pretty good meet and greet too although she is very excitable if its a long greeting, but who can really resist a wiggle butt? Theres probably more, just cant think of them.

So all in all, we have accomplished quite a bit. She is much better behaved because of all the work we do. I will never stop and will perservere for many years. For being my first real dog i think i have come a long way and have learned a lot about dog training and dog obedience.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts