Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here is something else with my Newly Spayed girl.  After the great reply's I got yesterday, the "oozing" has slowed and is not as bad.  So this morning when I let her out to use the bathroom she ran around the frozen grass (it was 29

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
If this happens again you should try to get a heart rate on her during the event or if that's not possible as it happens to quick take one afterwards.  Put your hand on her side till you feel her heartbeat and time it with your watch timing the number of beats in a minute or 15 seconds multiply by 4.  I would also mention it to a vet if it happens again.  If not, it could be an isolated incident.  

Nano

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
You need to keep her very quiet as she heals from the spay.  No running or jumping.  She has to be on a leash. I know it is extra work but it is very, very important so the sutures don't tear and that makes a major difference on keeping the swelling down.  This incident could have happened due to her running and all of a sudden experiencing some great pain from the surgery.  They don't realize how sore and careful they need to be.

Nano

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Definitely keep an eye on things; it sounds very typical of the fainting experienced by Boxers with one of the heart problems prevalent in the breed (AS or ARVC), but sometimes lingering effects from anesthesia or reactions to antibiotics (or a number of other things) can cause fainting, as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 5 year old boxer has been doing this about 2-3 times a year that we have seen.  I think it started when he was about 3 years old.  It is very scary but he seems to just jump up like nothing happened.  Wierd

1 - 7 of 7 Posts