Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tuck has acid reflux so he gets famotidine once a day. I've noticed however if I give it with his food he usually vomits up his food shortly after. Anyone else have this problem?

·
Super Moderator
13,468 Posts
What food are you feeding?
Perhaps there is an ingredient in the food that is giving him acid reflux?
Or perhaps a treat causing it?

I used to give my Mongo red bell pepper as a treat when we would be cutting them up for ourselves until I realized it gave him acid reflux. No more pepper for him - no more reflux.

:)

·
Registered
484 Posts
My dog had been on it for a month. I was doing 2 x daily. The vet said 20 MG 2 x day. However looking at the adult dose it just seemed like she would be taking the amount of an adult who might weigh 3 x as much. I gave half the dose 2 x day.

Are you waiting half an hour after giving meds to allow him to eat? Maybe try just at bedtime? My vet said half an hour before meal.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Both Ben and now MY Tucker were on famotidine. Ben had a very sensitive stomach and as he got older needed pred pulses. He always go 20 mg once a day - I gave at night-time, but not with a meal. It generally helped & he didn't vomit.

MY Tucker (LOL) has allergies with allergic dermatitis. He has been receiving pred - more on than off... He was on Atopica & had some nausea / occasional vomiting with that. He was on famotidine 20 mg twice daily, which we decreased to 10 mg twice daily (AM & night-time). Apoquel just became available & he is on day 4. Hoping to get him off prednisone completely. Continuing famotidine for now - as I believe it quells his nausea...

·
Super Moderator
13,468 Posts
luvmyboy - Here's some info on Apoquel - it's got some risks involved

Should I Giving My Dog Apoquel To Stop Its Itching And Scratching ?

I have a friend who has a boxer mix that has bad allergies at certain times of the year. The dog was scratching so much and it's skin was turning black and dry. My friend always had her at the vet - was constantly getting her cortisone shots and on / off prednisone. I found an all natural product (and actually bought some for her) to try. Her dog has been on this for about 6 months now and her skin is way better, she's not nearly as itchy any more. She actually had her dog at the vet yesterday for a check up and the vet was impressed. The product is Olewo Red Beets - I'll post a link to the company website, but you can also buy them on Amazon (not sure which site is cheaper)

https://www.olewousa.com/products/olewo/dogs/olewo-red-beets-allergy-dog-food-supplement

:)

·
Registered
74 Posts
It should be given 20 minutes before a meal so it can absorb and adjust acid levels and get ready for the food. Sometimes famotidine doesn't do anything for some dogs and you have to step it up to omeprazole. Again, omeprazole is 20 min before food. Lots of acid reflux experience here :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
My tuck has acid reflux so he gets famotidine once a day. I've noticed however if I give it with his food he usually vomits up his food shortly after. Anyone else have this problem?
Should give pepcid 30-60 before feeding. Always give on an empty stomach.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts