Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I am a nervous parent, but something is happening with Sirius that I have to mention.

He is now approaching nine weeks old.  During the day, we have him on a strict schedule.  Mealtimes, potty times, play times and nap times happen like clockwork.  Accidents inside have been very minimal, and he is really taking to leash walking and being outside.  His only two behavioral issues have been chewing on my wife's flip flops, and nipping at dad's hands during playtime.  For the most part, I think his daytime activities are pretty darn normal for a puppy.

We feed him a couple of hours before bedtime, and his water is picked up an hour before bed.

It is his nightly crate time that has me worried.  When we first brought him home, he wanted to go out every two hours.  He would let us know it was time to potty by whining a little.  After a couple of days, he started sleeping for 4 and 5 hours at a time.  We thought it was odd, since we had read that it would take a couple of months for him to start being able to hold it for that long without waking up.  Flash forward to present day.  Sirius has slept all night long for the past three nights.  We put him to bed at 9 p.m. and he sleeps until 5 a.m.  His record from yesterday was nine hours.  What is going on here?  This is way out of the ordinary for a puppy according to every book, website and magazine I have read, and I have read quite a few in preparation for Sirius.  He is definitely not going in his crate.

Did we happen to luck into the fastest potty training dog on earth?  Could this be symptomatic of some illness?  Not that we are complaining mind you, it has been great to get a full nights sleep.  I just think it is out of the ordinary for his bowels to be holding up like this.

I should mention that when we took him to the vet a few days ago for the discharge coming from his eyes, the vet put him on antibiotics.  His eyes still occasionally have green discharge, and his penis has large amounts of discharge the same color.  The vet actually shaved his penis and gave us instructions to clean it.  He is on two types of antibiotics for these problems.  His poop and pee are normal as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Poor Sirius.. I am taking a stab here at the issue, which I'm sure Sharon will be your best well of knowledge. I think the pup is fighting this issue, and it may be making him more "tired" than you would see normaly. A dog fighting an infection of this level, will have times where they need extra sleep to heal internaly. Also, anti-biotics can be a funny thing...either you have a pup with uncontrolled bowels, or it "can" go the opposite way, and you have a sightly constipated pup..that can have only a few bowel movements a day.
I will let you know, also, during growth spurts, I have almost had to drag Ashley outside to potty, because she sleeps like the dead..don't know what it is about those growth spurts..but its like the pup shuts down for a day or two..and then you awaken to a miniature pony in your home..LOL
I hope Sirius stats doing better, your such a good doggie Dad, I'm sure you will nurse him back to full health with the little "sprinkler" going every 2-4 hours once again!!

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
You are a v good Boxer Daddy, i'm sure your fur baby will be keeping you up all hours as soon as he is feeling better, we'll know caus we'll start seeing Help posts at 0300am! :lol:

He is a very very cute baby, and his pics are sooo lovely, actually made me want to get a white Boxer, wanted to call him/her mash but hubby looked at me like im nuts.
Mash because my next Boxers i want to rescue a white and a dark one and call them bangers and mash! :lol:  :lol:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is good to know about the growth spurts.  I don't think I will worry about him being extra sleepy so much in the future, because I realize he has a lot of growing to do.  But right now with the discharge and meds, I know something just isn't right about him sleeping all the way through the night.  

The discharge from his eyes appears to be diminishing, but his penis discharge still presents 3 times a day or more and it is neon green/yellow.  We are going back to the vet in a week if it doesn't start to improve.  His next round of vaccines is in three weeks.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
My pups have usually slept thru the night after a week or two.  I use the same type of program with the feeding and water being taken up a few hours before bed.  Pups have a quick in and quick out system at that age and it really is beneficial if you do as you are doing to help them make it thru the night.

Nano

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Yeah my pup slept through the night almost from the time I got him, the thing is they can't hold it long when awake....but a sleeping puppy can hold it a lot longer.  

Green penis discharge is actually normal, most male pups have this.  The eye issue is likely allergies

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Like Zulu said, you are an awesome Boxer daddy...The antibiotics are probably causing the fatigue...What you may want to do to boost his immune system is start Sirius on some fish oil, great for the immune system, plus it makes the coat shiny & soft...He will bounce back before you know it, then you will be wishing fo rthose calm days :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Sirius, I have a 8 week old pup, and he sounds alot like yours. Believe it or not, when we are up he will go like every 1.5 to 2 hours. I go to bed about 10pm. So i try to keep him motivated till then. Once we go to bed, he is out, and will not get up till 6:30am. Then I pick him up and carry him outside. He goes forever, and he is good. So I dont think its un common. Unless both our pups have an issue :)

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
My puppy Elyse is also 8 weeks old and she sleeps through the night as well..we have her on that strict schedule and I feel it really helps..she had some of that discharge from her eyes but it was white/yellow and seems to have slowed down some..Do you feed Sirius that same food the breeder had him on?..Elyse never ate it that well at all so we switched her food recently..I hope Sirius feels better soon.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We still have him on IAMS, but we are just waiting on a bag of Innova Puppy kibble to come in.  We had to special order it, because we couldn't find anyone that had it in stock locally.  I am still looking.  We will be weaning him off IAMS as soon as possible.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
We put Elyse on the Kirkland food..I read about it on here and it had a great rating..She immediately was wanting to eat it before i got it poured in her dish..big relief because she was not eating the IAMS.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Tango also sleeps through the night and has done so since day 2.  IF I get up at night, I wake him to go pee and then it's right back to sleep.  He stays in bed until one of us gets up.  He is definitely NOT a morning puppy!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Ace slept through the night after only having him for a few days. But boy did we have to jet out the door in the morning!! :wink:

I just went through the weird scare with penis discharge. Ace probably thought I was going crazy, looking at his peepee all the time :lol:  Ya, then I came on here and read that it is normal and it stopped as soon as it started!

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
[quote="msdiamonddawg\";p=\"116532":2lyjsv63]

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
It's so funny, isn't it!  I'm used to my Rottweiler coming in to wake me up and if I didn't, he'd start grabbing things like socks and stuff to get me chasing him.  This one just sleeps in, which is GREAT!!!  Most times I have to force him to get up, but yeah, once up, we have to do the morning dart out the door too!  LOL ...

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
It must be a Boxer thing, Zulu will literaly stay in bed if he dont want to get up, and he even takes himself off to bed at night if he wants to go to sleep, he can be upstairs for hours before us. . . .such as the life ay! :lol:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Jeter cracks me up like Zulu. If Im making dinner or whatever, Ill be like where is Jeter? So Ill look around. There is a 90% chance the little 8 week old walked himself in to bedroom, and hopped up on the bed. He just hops up on the couch, or bed and you wont get him up for atleast hour. So funny

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
the body heals itself while asleep..same as a person working out..muscles and entire body regenerate and heal while at rest...so i think his body is jsut working to heal itself...PLUS youve really done a great job creating an awesome foundation for his training and future..:D excellant..be proud b/c it isnt ALL the meds...its you all too...

also..Onyx our 6 yr old black lab is perfectly healthy and has that dishcharge sometimes too..its normal...not tons of it or neon green but some is normal

so hoping he feels better soon....hugz and boxer kisses from us

·
Banned
7,576 Posts
Siriusdad: Sounds like you are doing a GREAT job with your baby. :)
Zulu; Bangers and mash???  LOVE it!! :lol:

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
[quote="samsonsaunt\";p=\"116638":3qs0bsw7]Siriusdad: Sounds like you are doing a GREAT job with your baby. :)
Zulu; Bangers and mash???

1 - 20 of 22 Posts