Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About six months ago Amber, my three year old Bitch, was having trouble standing one morning... So we rushed her to the DVm office. After spending the day having tests done... she was sent home with a RX for non-steroidal anti-inflammatory... The vet said that, though she appears with symptoms similar to a dog who had been hit by a car... she shows no visible signs of injury on radiography.

Over the next week or bed rest and meds she recovered. Since then she has had days of favoring one hind leg and I suspected that it was the beginning stages of hip displayed as she stopped frogging and laying on her back doing the upside down frog... She also favored this leg when it was manipulated into these positions by the DVM or myself... So we did some research and found some massage technequecs to ease the pain a bit... we also kept her meds on hand.

Once again... images show no signs of injury or anything out of the ordinary...

Now... within the last week Amber has visibly started to show signs of trauma in the same hind quarter... Sliding drawer tests show a normal Crucial ligament and scheduled xrays are surly going to show the same...If there were or are micro tares... i'm sure that by now the beginning of arthritis will be showing... now... this time she shows tenderness around the bones of the carpus (which will be investigated by the DVM).

I have also talked to a naturopathic Vet who suggests glucosamine supplements...

To be honest... we are at a complete loss... with tests showing up negative we are not sure what to do... and I am really looking for some insight from all you guys and some experiences you had...:discuss:

·
Registered
576 Posts
This is all so technical sounding and I am not a vet nor a vet technician and am only speaking from experience with my own dog who is 11 years old (NOT JETHRO nor is he a boxer) but speaking soley to the positives of glusomine.

My dog when he is on his glusomine runs, plays and walks without pain and issue. he still has issues with jumping up on the bed and sometimes stairs but it is way better than the days he doesn't or didn't as it were have his glucosomine.

I'd say try it - it can't hurt :)

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, I know these tests are going to show inflammation... But not much else... I think that I am going to get her physical done by her reg vet and then take a trip to the natropath...

We'll see... This is why you really need to research your breeders...

I was reading about cushiness... But she really doesn't
Fit the symptoms...

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well today is day three of her natropath treatment... We have been able to stop her evil medicam for the most part and she is not favoring the limb as much... Doesn't seem to be tenderness and she has started to be more open to play with ling ling aka Lilly of Nepal.

So let's hope that the keeps going in a positive direction... Vet check tuesday to rule out the big oh nos

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Basically she gets massage and stretches as well as glucosamine... Tomorrow is her regular dvm treatment

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:( the dvm says it's her cruciate ligament... She passes the sliding drawer tests because of the muscle mass that she has in her legs. When doing the sit test she shows positive and is unable to pull her leg into the correct location for a proper sit. They are going to sedate her and perform another drawer test and X-ray her hind quarters to insure that it is only her knee that has blown and not her hip...

They are also saying that she prob tore it this summer when we took her in but since she tested negative on both tests at that time it most likely was not completely separated... My poor baby uncomfortable and in pain all these months :( I feel lower than dirt...
I really did try to find out what was wrong :,( but all I can do is take her to the Dvms...

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
I'm sorry to hear this. Don't beat yourself up. You took her to the vet and had tests run. We rely on what they tell us. I'm just glad they figured out the problem.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
after further testing, she has been found to have arthritis in both knees and hip Dysplasia; more severely on the side she was favoring. Most likely she has a degenerative disorder genetically passed. We had her cruciate repaired for the stability but if she makes six it will be a miracle....

heart broken- we await our babies return home from the dvm... day two of her stay :(

·
Registered
790 Posts
AWWWW I am soooooo sorry! Hopefully she will heal real well and arthritis won't advance....maybe talk to them about getting adequan shots every once in awhile. We found anytime our last dog would limp we would get this done and he would be a like a puppy again for a few months. It doesn't heal it but it helps a lot. Best of luck on the recovery from the surgery.

Adequan for Dogs

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Is there a vet in your town that does acupuncture? It might help to manage your dog's pain.

Don't beat yourself up over not doing something about it sooner. You did your best with the information that was available to you. Dogs live in the present, the right now. What happened yesterday or last week or last month no longer matters to her. My dog's cruciates were torn for over two years before they were fixed. I adopted him when he was 3 and he was always limping (he was also 25 lbs overweight!). After the first few days I called his first owner and asked her about it and all she said was "Oh yeah, he's been doing that for a couple of years now." They never even took him to the vet. He spent the first 9 months I had him recovering from surgeries. Now he's 6 1/2 and he's reliving the puppyhood that he lost! He also has arthritis in his wrists (from over-compensating on his forelimbs when his hindlimbs were injured), knees (from being injured for so long) and in his hips (genetic), but he still gets along phenominally well. Limps a little when it's really cold out, but that's about it. Acupuncuture is his golden ticket!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts