Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So never having a Boxer before, is it just in their nature to be pretty much fearless/curious(in a good way)?

I found out during the 4th of July, Zuke likes sitting and watching fireworks. He also will go to the window to watch thunderstorms. Loves watching motorcycles. etc. Most dogs I have owned and friends dogs I know are usually scared of most or at the least 1 of those things.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
So never having a Boxer before, is it just in their nature to be pretty much fearless/curious(in a good way)?

I found out during the 4th of July, Zuke likes sitting and watching fireworks. He also will go to the window to watch thunderstorms. Loves watching motorcycles. etc. Most dogs I have owned and friends dogs I know are usually scared of most or at the least 1 of those things.
In a nutshell ... that is called "good nerves" ... you got a solid puppy and you did good with him!
4th of July ... can be a nightmare for a lot of dogs ... dogs busting thru plate glass windows or running off ... is not unusual on the 4th of July ... the window bolting ... just happened ... yet again as I understand. :(

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In a nutshell ... that is called "good nerves" ... you got a solid puppy and you did good with him!
4th of July ... can be a nightmare for a lot of dogs ... dogs busting thru plate glass windows or running off ... is not unusual on the 4th of July ... the window bolting ... just happened ... yet again as I understand. :(
Yeah, it was weird, I didn't go out on the 4th because I had to work the next day. Neighbors over by me do commercial fireworks, huge show. So Zuke gets up when it starts and goes to the storm door and is watching, and he kept looking back at me. So finally I asked "You want to go out?" sure enough, he starts doing the butt wiggle. So he takes me out to our driveway and sat down on his own and watched till it was over. Wish I had video of it. lol

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Yeah, it was weird, I didn't go out on the 4th because I had to work the next day. Neighbors over by me do commercial fireworks, huge show. So Zuke gets up when it starts and goes to the storm door and is watching, and he kept looking back at me. So finally I asked "You want to go out?" sure enough, he starts doing the butt wiggle. So he takes me out to our driveway and sat down on his own and watched till it was over. Wish I had video of it. lol
LOL ... outstanding, however it is you got Zuke?? Use that same criterion to find a GSD if you chose and you'll be fine. :)

Rocky slept thru the 4th of July and Struddell ... a freaking bomb could go off next door and if I did not respond ... she did not care. I thought that was pretty normal for dogs but ... apparently not??? New Year's Eve and Fourth of July is a horror show for a lot of dogs, who knew???

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL ... outstanding, however it is you got Zuke?? Use that same criterion to find a GSD if you chose and you'll be fine. :)

Rocky slept thru the 4th of July and Struddell ... a freaking bomb could go off next door and if I did not respond ... she did not care. I thought that was pretty normal for dogs but ... apparently not??? New Year's Eve and Fourth of July is a horror show for a lot of dogs, who knew???

My one neighbor was out watching with his kids and asked me what I was doing. I said Zuke took me out to watch the fireworks. He said his dog was hiding in the tub. lol

·
Registered
92 Posts
Last night we had a pretty good storm blow through our area and my older dog was losing his mind like normal. shaking, panting, hiding. Our boxer puppy Eliza happily went on her walk, played in the backyard and calmly went to sleep! It was awesome.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Last night we had a pretty good storm blow through our area and my older dog was losing his mind like normal. shaking, panting, hiding. Our boxer puppy Eliza happily went on her walk, played in the backyard and calmly went to sleep! It was awesome.
Only thing I found that Zuke is wary of and will avoid at all costs are puddles in the street. Go figure. haha

·
Registered
163 Posts
We had a boom of thunder last night that I kid you not rattled the house for a good 2 seconds. We had just gone to bed and was near drifting off to sleep and my bed literally shook. Talos was as calm as could be downstairs in his crate.

On the 4th when everyone in the neighborhood was letting off fire crackers etc.. no big deal either.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Duke is fine with fireworks (he starts panting if they get too loud/intense) and no problem with thunderstorms.

He used to be scared of the big black garbage bags on garbage day (when he was a pup), things blowing around in the wind and any type of wire in his path. He's not afraid of wires anymore, but to this day if for example we have our laptop plugged in and it's in his way, he'll just stand there, or if he can he'll walk around it. He also seems to be terrified of our garbage can. lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts