Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feed Chloe Canidae ALS.  She is about a year and a half now and I still am feeding her the puppy portion (3 cups a day) - She is 55 lbs.  I haven't dropped her down to the "adult" serving because I can still see all of her ribs.  When do you normally drop the amount of food to the adult portion?  Also - should I be feeding her more - she has been on the 3 cups a day since she was about 8 months.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
How often does she get fed a day? Remember that the feeding instructions on the bag are just guidelines. If Chloe is devouring her food within minutes, I would say she needs a little more. If she lets her food sit for more than 10-15 minutes, she probably needs a little less. Is she free fed or does she have certain times when you feed her?
Maddie is a little over 2 and a half years and she just started filling out to where you can't see her ribs. I think I may need to cut back on the treats.  :?
Watch Chloe eat, and then you be the judge whether she needs more or less food.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Three cups a day would be awesome!  Ringer is down to six now that he is on the Merrick.  He was eating close to ten of the Beneful crap and was sucking it down like a vacuum.  Everything I read said switch from puppy food to adult food around six months and adjust portions according to eating habits and to show just the last couple ribs and no vertebrae.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Abby at 14 months is on adult portions and has been for some time, but she is supplemented with 2 kongs of peanut butter each day. Actually, last week, I gave her banana instead of pb and after only those 5 days, I noticed that she looked ribbier than normal...so back to pb this week! If it wasn't for the pb, I would probably increase her food...so maybe start cutting back, but supplement with pb, yogurt, etc.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
It varries, you can go by guidelines on a bag or by your personal views.  I give my dogs 1.5 cups of grainless kibble in the am, with an add in (sardines or yogurt) and then about 1-1.25 lbs of raw in the evening.    However on days they are active I give a bit more since they will burn it off by playing.

Also if you dog is looking a tad underweight, I would feed more, but if they are looking a little pudgy I would cut back.   Just because the dogs gobbles it down does not totally mean you are not feeding enough.  I know my two would eat to the cows come home if they had the chance.  Its our responsibility to monitor their food, and give what's needed.  Nothing is worse than trying to fight an over weight dog.

Good Luck,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts