Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Im new to this website/forums. I think this is great! But anyways...my question is this: I have a 10 month old..almost 11...who eats EVERYTHING. I was turned on to the raw meat made by "Variety" when we first got him at 8 weeks old. He def likes it without question. I mix it with 1 to 1 1/2 cup dry "Nutro Ultra Holistic Nutrition". Not a big fan of JUST dry food. So with everything, the raw meat makes the wallet become real thing very quickly. Ive gotten Pedigree canned food and mix same amount of dry food with about 1/3 of canned food. Now FINALLY my question...For those who have experience with Boxers, is my change and feeding style ok you think? ALL comments are welcome!  thanks for your help!!!

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Welcome to a wonderful forum.  Rocky is a great name for a boxer.  I named one of the pups in my litter that once and had a girl I named Rockette.

If you cannot do the total raw, then I would select a very high quality dry food like Wellness for my dog and stick to that. You can supplement with some treats or a little bit of raw meat mixed in but you need to have a balanced diet.  I don't like the Pedigree stuff as it is not a high rated food.  You need to switch slowly over to a new version of feeding if you choose to do that.  Feeding 3 -4 times a day and is you switch over to dry be sure to wet it down so it has a little "gravy" with it.  You must always wet dry food down, so it is not dry on the outside.  It doesn't need to be soaked soft, except for puppies sometimes.  There are some other excellent food recommendations on this forum besides my suggestion of Wellness.  Good luck.  He is a cutie!

Nano

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Welcome to the forums!  :)
I'm a little confused with your question?? The subject reads "switching from canned to raw", but I think in your message you say you are switching from raw to pedigree? So, I'm not quite sure which one it is so I'll do my best to figure it out.
I'm not a big fan of pedigree food. Too many by-products and junk in the food. Crap in a can, so to speak. The dry food you are feeding is very good. If you are asking if you can mix dry with canned? Sure why not? If your dog eats his food that way, go for it. I would probably change his canned portion to maybe the Nutro Ultra Holistic canned instead of the pedigree. Much better ingredients in that.  :wink:

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Pedigree is bad.  A high grade dry is great for a Boxer.  Wet it down with warm water so that it is already starting to break down when they go to eat and they love the gravy from the added warm water.

If you switch to raw, go slow and wean the pup onto it.  Don't mix it with anything else.  If you go raw then go all the way!!!  I know it canbe expensive, thats why so many of us feed dry and supplement with raw.

Elsewise, just feed dry with warm water added and sepplement with a little raw now and again.

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
948 Posts
I do Natural Choice and occassional raw things every now and then...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions! The dry food that he gets is "Nutro Ultra Holistic Nutrition"...from what I have heard from other dog owners is that its a pretty good dry food. The wet food is the Pedigree...I only add to make it interesting for him. As for the raw meat, he only gets it 2 possibly 3 times a weeks. But thanks again for the info!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts