Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just browsing a little bit and noticed several people are feeding eggs and rice and what not and it seems to be an accepted practice, but i havn't heard of it before i got here so i was wondering what the advantage of all this is and if there is a time where your supposed to start doing these things.

the other thing is i have been feeding Nero Iams Smart puppy large breed. hes 4 months old if that is needed

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I don't think many people feed rice regularly, just if your dog has an upset stomach and you need something bland for them to eat for a day or two.  Raw eggs are great for them though.. i feed 2 or 3 eggs a week.
Iams, though it gets a lot of publicity isn't the greatest dog food.  I suggest checking out this website www.dogfoodanalysis.com it has some good info on how to choose a dog food and a list of foods that have already been reviewed.  I would try to find at least a 4 star food.
Good luck with your pup and welcome!

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Funny the different things we feed these guys, isn't it?? Sometimes it's just to perk up a picky eater, an upset tummy or to adjust loose stool. The eggs, sardines and fish oil improves coats,  1 tsp of canned pumpkin (not pie filling) can help with runny poop,1 tsp plain yogurt helps digestion and boiled chicken and cooked rice can help with an upset stomach. You can start to slowly introduce different things depending on your pups needs. Lots of good ideas on here about raw feeding too. Check through the old food tips posts for more ideas  :lol:

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Mostly I add things just to jazz up their diet, the eggs & sardines tho are soo good for their coats...At 4 months you can introduce new things, but I would do one at a time and see how he reacts before adding anything else...I give mine also green beans, carrots, apples, bananas, chicken, venision and of course their Peanut Butter & yogurt Kongs :) Treats I give are homemade cookies, bully stix & healthy edible Nylabones

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well thanks and hee i am thinking iams is a decent dog food! :D  but i know its better than wal mart brand atleast! i did get one bag of purina pro plan for free and he loved it now its just trying to figure this into my budget! thanks!

G

·
0 Posts
[quote="Nero1024\";p=\"78365":cz13jy44]well thanks and hee i am thinking iams is a decent dog food! :D

·
Registered
648 Posts
When I first came to thailand, I was very surprised what people fed their dogs..... Basically, they live on Rice here.  It seems they have adjusted becasue it is the main staple diet of the people as well. However, many of the thai people I know that own their dogs will feed Chicken and Rice.  Lot's of stray dogs around here that just break your heart becasue they are living in such bad condition but the buddhist belief teaches not to kill. Therefore, this creates a huge amount of stray dogs and many of the locals will feed them by giving left over rice. You see it all the time at the temples.  They do have dog shelters as they call it where they round up hundreds and let them live together. People donate money to feed them..becasue they can't kill them.

After seeing this I know dogs can live on Rice if they have too. Not sure how healthy it is in the long run but that is how it is.

·
Registered
648 Posts
samsonsmom\";p=\"78363 said:
Mostly I add things just to jazz up their diet, the eggs & sardines tho are soo good for their coats...At 4 months you can introduce new things, but I would do one at a time and see how he reacts before adding anything else...I give mine also green beans, carrots, apples, bananas, chicken, venision and of course their Peanut Butter & yogurt Kongs :) Treats I give are homemade cookies, bully stix & healthy edible Nylabones
What a great mom!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts