Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in need of some recommendations. My boxer puppy is not wanting to eat. When I got him, his owner was feeding the puppies costco puppy food. I researched that and changed it right away to something petsmart recommended. Then I did more research and changed it to Wellness Core grain free puppy which comes highly rated. Lately, he just shows little interest in his food. He's just 4 months old. Any suggestions??

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Best course of action maybe a vet check to find out if he is ill then proceed from there. But for short term use I do belive boiled chicken and rice is usually recommended???

·
Registered
18 Posts
I agree to the other post, try to talk to your vet first before anythings happen... Sometimes all the information that we've found on internet is not right or fit for our dogs even if it has a good review and good quality we don't know if that brand will become a good source of the protein and nutrients that our dogs body needs.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
When our boy was young he sometimes would skip a meal, in the beginning we fed 3x a day, so we went two times a day offering the same amount overall. Still he would sometimes skip one of them. I do believe it was because of teething. He was never real interested in eating but we did the 30 min down and then took away the food until next scheduled meal time. Once he was about a year and a half he wanted to eat lots more and now that he is 2 is more interested in his meals and rarely will skip one now. IN fact he tells us when its time to eat. LOL we don't give in to extra cause I think he would be fat real soon. If he has no health issues I would guess your guy is just teething, but its always safe to have him checked.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Some dogs may not want to eat multiple times a day. I only feed mine once a day. 3-4 cups. I tried the twice a day and never worked. I never have to worry about my dog being overweight because of this

I would have your dog fast for an entire day or 2 to make sure he is really hungry.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I was feeding Willow 3x a day for about the first month we had her (so until she was 3 months old) and she didn't really eat at lunch time. I cut out the middle feeding and feed her 2x a day (she's 4 months now). She doesn't seem that hungry in the morning, she eats a bit but not as much as I'd like her to. She eats more at dinner time. I'm not worried because she seems to go through phases, sometimes she gobbles her food down and then she'll go through periods of not eating as much. I just figure she'll eat when she's hungry. She drinks a lot of water too so that might make her feel full as well.

·
Registered
312 Posts
It could be all the switching? are you making it interesting?I would put some high quality protein on top of the kibble. see what happens.
If she is active I would not worry too much as it could be some teething as mentioned before.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts