Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to the forum. I got a white boxer about 2 months ago and started feeding him what I was fed my dogs including boxers in the past...Diamond puppy food. Well he had really runny watery stools so I took him to the vet and everything checked out ok. So I got him off that food and started him on the Nutro Natural Choice Herring Meal, Rice & Potato Formula. Well the stools got a little better but still very soft. We went thru a 40lbs bag and I decided to try something else, we are now on day 3 of the Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed Puppy (chicken). Seems to be doing alot better but we are still on day 3 so we will see. Now my main question is how much to feed? I have been feeding 4 cups a day, 2 in the morning and 2 at dinner and he is a very very hungry dog. He is always asking for food (going to where we keep the food and begging) He eats his food very very fast and then tries to go get our other dogs food. He looks for food everywhere in the kitchen. Im just wondering if I'm feeding enough??
Thanks
David

Ps. His name is Jack.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
im not sure how much to feed, we feed our pup just like yours but he is 6mo. at 4 mo we were feeding 1.5 cups 3 times a day. I would say pure pumpkin for the loose stools. You get 100% pure pumpkin (not pumpkin pie stuff) and mix in 1 heaping teaspoon to firm up the poop. dont add too much, if you add too much it can act as a laxitive ive heard.

G

·
0 Posts
The quick rotating of the different foods could give him the runny stools, I would keep him on the same food for a bit longer. If the problem persists change the food to another one (properly, slowly mix small portions of the new food into the regular feeding of the old, then increase the amount of new food over and lessen the old food portion over about a period of 10 days until its all new food). You may want to try feeding a bit less food. I know with my dog if he eats too much hell get a peanut butter consistancy stool. And make sure (I dont know the protein or fat content of your food), but make sure he isnt getting too much protein and fat, pups cant handle it (runny stool). I would keep it at about 22-26% protein. Oh, and one more thing you might keep in mind for your baby, DONT let him eat so fast! Boxers stomachs are prone to twisting (stomach bloat) if they eat too fast, its life threatening and you have to get your dog to the vet right away, the clock is ticking to take immediate action, its quite scary to think about. Maybe try putting an unopened can of soup, or such in his feeding bowl so your dog will eat around it, making it slower for him to eat. I put an old soup bone in my boxers bowl and he learned to eat slow (he would "inhale" his food before that!) Now he just eats slow without the soup bone in there. Anywhom, I hope that helps a bit. Good luck with clearing up your babies stool!

·
Registered
220 Posts
ShawnSeven\";p=\"63430 said:
If the problem persists change the food to another one (properly, slowly mix small portions of the new food into the regular feeding of the old, then increase the amount of new food over and lessen the old food portion over about a period of 10 days until its all new food).
You want to switch foods over a period of 1 month.  3/4 old 1/4 new first week, 1/2old 1/2 new second week, 3/4 new 1/4 old third week and finally all new on the fourth week.

Scott

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As far as switching the food slowly is that due to their systems getting use to it or is it cause they just wont eat? My boxer is eating this new food like crazy. So I guess i need some more ideas on getting him to eat slower and also I'm still in doubt to how much to feed cause he acts very very hungry still and its not just with this food cause he was acting the same way on the herring food and the diamond...
Thanks
David

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Welcome to the forum.  Take a look at the bag and check the recommended amount of food for your pup, then use that as a guideline.  As long as only a few ribs show then your pup is getting enoough food, better slim then overweight.  If the backbone is showing or more than two ribs then I would up the feeding a bit.  I also put something in Kiah's food to slow down her eating and she always acts like she is starving  :)

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Food and young puppies is a tough decision.  We finally found a great food that works for both of ours after some trial and error.  I guess it's like kids, you have to find one that they want to eat, that fits all their needs and that they can tolerate and as we have found here - there is no one food that works for every dog.  Transitioning slowly is a key element in making the new food work, along with one that doesn't cause loose stools, eye boogies or allergies.  Our babies are rather delicate!  The food I use is Merrick Wilderness Blend and it works wonders on coat and everything, but they too always think they need more to eat.  In fact, they would eat all day long if I let them.  I just try to keep them happy with snacks like peanut butter & banana stuff kongs, Sam's sweet potatoe chews, and various Buddy Biscuit treats to keep them happy.  They love to chew so finding chew toys to keep their little mouths busy is a must.  Good luck finding the right food for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts