Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for advice on feeding my 2 boxers. How much, what kind ect. We have an almost 8 year old and a 4 month old. They both have sensitive tummies when switching so i know slow is best. I am not opposed to making their food but not ready for raw. Would there be 1 recipe that i could make for both and feed different amounts? Maybe add different supplements for each of them? Are there any premade foods that dont cost an arm and a leg that are best? Ive read that the different ratios of calcium, protein ect (cant remember specifically and cant find the article now!) That is ideal to help avoid hip displasia later in life. Please help!

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I know there are many good quality foods out there and many grain free too which seem to be good for boxers. We have been feeding Victor high energy, beef (red bag). We put our guy on it at 5 months o the suggestion of our vet and trainer. We do give him a probiotic with each meal (2 daily). He has done very well on this food, has solid stools and probably goes ow 3-4 times a day. I pay $40. for a 40 lb bag at our local feed store.
This is the one we feed but they also have a grain free

40-lb-High-Energy-POLY-FRONT-400x400.png

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also should have added that it would be nice to cut back on some of the boxer toots! Lol....does probiotic help with that??

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
7,025 Posts
Are you willing to cook for your dogs? If so, I would look into using the base mix The Honest Kitchen Preference and adding in cooked proteins such as turkey or beef. I prefer raw but if you prefer to cook then this is an option. It however is NOT cost effective. But cost effective depends on many things such as quality and long term health. You need to factor in vet bills as well.

If you prefer a kibble suggestion then I would look at Acana or Fromms, even Zignature

·
Registered
38 Posts
I agree. I would def go grain free.i also second Kaco on Honest kitchen base , in grain free, you just add water and a protein. merrick grain free is a dry option. We would mix a little scoop of a merrick wet food and a little warm water (filtered of course) in the dry for more flavor and Tyson never had an issue with that as he did other great quality brands. We tried fresh pet and natural instincts raw and he put his nose up to both.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Are you willing to cook for your dogs? If so, I would look into using the base mix The Honest Kitchen Preference and adding in cooked proteins such as turkey or beef. I prefer raw but if you prefer to cook then this is an option. It however is NOT cost effective. But cost effective depends on many things such as quality and long term health. You need to factor in vet bills as well.

If you prefer a kibble suggestion then I would look at Acana or Fromms, even Zignature
What's the difference between raw and cooked? Is the loss of nutrition significant? I'm looking to shift to PMR along the lines of your posts in Raw Diet sub-forum. I am concerned about the quality of the meat in India. Salmonella poisoning from undercooked meat is a concern here. I'm assuming the risk extends to dogs that are fed raw meat. Would freezing meat help?

·
Registered
38 Posts
We tried the raw but he will not eat meat raw. We use honest kitchen grain free base as well, I cook the protein. It is more expensive then the merrick he was on in the past However I agree with kaco with quality of life outweighing what's more cost effective. It is mentioned that dogs are meant to eat raw food because their bodies, difestive system and stomach acids have bacteria killing agents. I was skeptical about the bacteria also. It turned out he isn't interested in raw anyway. So it didn't work out for us. I am sure someone will chime in and be of more help to you about the many benefits of a raw diet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I feed Royal Canin Maxi with good results all 5 of our boxers love it and they have firm stool which helps with cleanup. We also feed IABL Kennel treats which is great for their digestion system, coat, and skin. They are all natural a vet with over 30 years of experience was consulted as well as AKC when developing the formulas. I see where you stated yours have sensitive stomachs so I would avoid the liver formula because it is made with fresh liver which can be too rich for some dogs. IABL Kennel treats can be found on Amazon here is the URL: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=IABL+Kennel You can also find Royal Canin Maxi on Amazon and it is a little cheaper on Amazon than at our local pet store.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts