Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, everyone dexter is 8 months old now I have him on the royal canin boxer food it's the gold bag the big one he goes through a bag about every 3-4 weeks as he has a dog walker when I'm at work and gets excersise on weekends as way atleast a few hours 7 days a week and has a very fast metabolism I want to bulk him up a bit so I got some natures variety instinct raw bites from petsmart they keep it frozen and am going to give him 1-2 cups a day as well as his dry food I would like some advice as to if this is the healthiest and best route to go to beef my little guy up a bit as he gets so much excersise and is very healthy but not getting any bulkier. Thanks ImageUploadedByPG Free1403037551.199225.jpg

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
6,972 Posts
Boxers gain height up to 12-18 months and bulk up around 18-24mths of age. Don't rush things. Also you should never mix raw with kibble. It can cause stomach upset. Instead I would look into switching him over SLOWLY to a quality grain free food such as:

Acana
Fromms grain Free
Earthborn

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Boxers don't mature until 2-3 years of age. They also go through many growth cycles where they can look thin and awkward. Why are you in such a hurry for him to "bulk up"? Growing too fast can damage joints!

Truth be told, Royal Canin is not a very good kibble. I'm not sure where you live but if you are in North America, better alternatives would be Acana or Fromm (grain free).

I don't know much about Nature's Variety raw food but I would not mix raw and kibble as they digest at very different rates and could potentially cause stomach upset.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks a lot for the info I'm in canada ontario and the vet told me to get the royal canin as it is affco approved so that's what I have been feeding him and I'm not in a rush at all to bulk him up but everyone says he is very skinny you can see all his ribs and he is very well fed and all the other boxers I see and talk to the owners his age and younger are a little more filled out so any good advice for better food or alternatives I can find where I live are well appreciated I was told to feed 1-2 cups a day of the raw food but separately from kibble so that's where I got the idea from but all i want is what's best for dexter and to feed him the best and healthiest and safest food. And I will definitely try it out. Thanks

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hi Steve,
My puppy looks just like yours - except fawn colored. And I too have been worried about how skinny she is. I'm relieved to read the responses that you have gotten regarding the growth patterns for boxers.

And I'm glad I'm not the only one going through this. Sometimes when I walk her I worry that people will think I'm not feeding her.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes same here lol I get worried about that as well people often say he is skinny and ask about feeding meanwhile I feed him lots and anytime someone offers me a better healthier food I switch the royal canin is 80 plus tax a bag but if there is something honestly better I'm willing to switch after it's gone I want him on the best food and to be nice and healthy as he is a part of the family but as I said earlier the dog walker I have takes him running and walking and playing with lots of other dogs 5 days a week for 3-4 hours and some weekends or I have him with my families other dogs on weekends so he gets an extreme amount of outside time and excercise which I really enjoy because he is always come listens and never gets into trouble where as a day or 2 without he starts to get a little hyper.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If raw is better I would like the best way to transition the best raw to feed how to feed it how much and where I could find it in the sutton ontario to gta area as I live in richmond hill ontario and spend majority of my time around the newmarket area thanks

·
Registered
160 Posts
You know, I switched mine over to Costco's Natures Domain salmon and sweet potato (grain free) and she has done much better. And the price is great. Her bathroom problems have cleared up and she is eating much better. Today I was worried that she wasn't eating her breakfast, but after sleeping most of the morning she ate it all. I find that if I add 2 tbs of Costco's ND wet food that she will eat better.

I was debating on switching her to raw, but I might hold of for a while to let everything settle. Tomorrow's our 1-month anniversary (she's about 8 months old too.) I wonder if that's why your puppy and mine are so skinny. Just a growing spurt coupled with the high energy.

Good luck!

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Yes same here lol I get worried about that as well people often say he is skinny and ask about feeding meanwhile I feed him lots and anytime someone offers me a better healthier food I switch the royal canin is 80 plus tax a bag but if there is something honestly better I'm willing to switch after it's gone I want him on the best food and to be nice and healthy as he is a part of the family but as I said earlier the dog walker I have takes him running and walking and playing with lots of other dogs 5 days a week for 3-4 hours and some weekends or I have him with my families other dogs on weekends so he gets an extreme amount of outside time and excercise which I really enjoy because he is always come listens and never gets into trouble where as a day or 2 without he starts to get a little hyper.

If you want to feed kibble, in my opinion, the best kibble you can buy is the Acana Regionals line. It is grain free and made in Calgary! They use the best ingredients and the Regionals line has 4-5 different "flavours" - that is protein sources. You will not find Acana at Petsmart, Walmart or any grocery stores. You'll have to find a Global Pet Foods in your area. If you are close to Ren's Pet Depot, that is the place that I found has the best prices on Acana.

Ultimately, raw is the healthiest diet for your pet. It can be a bit pricier, especially here in Ontario, but if you shop around and do it yourself it can be done quite cost effectively.

I worried about Duke too. I've never had a Boxer before him. As long as you can't see hip bones or spine, your pup is ok. Boxers are very lean dogs :) But I would definitely get him off the Royal Canin! Try to keep in mind that most vets are not trained in nutrition. Some will even try to sell you a certain brand from their office because they get a cut of all the sales! Others, just don't know any better and don't care to educate themselves.

If you do switch to another kibble, make sure you do it slowly over a period of at least 10 days. Slowly decrease the old kibble and increase the new kibble until he is fully switched over.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I'll second acana. Max did very well when he was on it. He is on orijin now, same company as acana champion petfoods. It is more $ than acana and quite a bit richer which some boxers seem to not tolerate well but he loves it and has no issues on it. They are basically the same but orijin has a higher meat content.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts