Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
At her age, I'm pretty sure you're safe to follow a typical puppy diet , and while I think three meals a day would suffice, since you've been feeding five or six up to now you may need to make the transistion to only three over a week or two.  As for exactly how much to feed at each meal, it depends on her expected adult weight.  Boxers can vary from 60 to 90 pounds as adults, but the average seems to be around 70-80, with females tending to the lower end and males to the higher.  Given that, it's probably safe to assume her ideal adult weight is 65-70 pounds.  An adult 70 pound dog needs 1690 kcals daily.  Divided by weight, that's  just a tad over 24 kcals per pound (of dog).  Puppies need double the calories-per-pound that adult dogs do so  your puppy would need  48 kcals per pound of her body weight (or double the adult need-per-pound) daily.

Geez, I hope that made sense!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Please don't take offense at this, but I have to ask both Sadiesmomma and Kate why their puppies were separated from their mothers at such tender ages.  While eight weeks is considered "generally safe" studies have shown that there is still much to be learned in weeks eight through ten or twelve.  And six weeks?  Oh, my.  It just breaks my heart to think of a pup wrested from her mother and littermates that young.

Please understand this is NOT an admonition of any sort directed to either of you Boxer-moms; it's just me trying to understand what goes on and why.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.