Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Talos just turned 7 months old. I love him dearly and already couldn't imagine coming home after a days work and not being greeted by the butt wiggling, side stepping, paw waving cutie.

Lately though I'm finding myself feeling flustered and overwhelmed. As I've said in my pup dates we're still working on "no bite" I've tried ignore, walking away, a bonker, and of course replacing hands with toys. He will literally go around the toy to bite my hands and arms. So if I sternly say no bite and refuse to play with him he will box me, bark at me, and then proceed to try to bite whatever part of me he can. Be it my toes, legs, elbows, you name it.

Then there is the jumping. He doesn't do it AS BAD with me as the kids. Occasionally he gets wound up and will jump. Saturday he took a 5ft leap off the couch and dove into me. His feet never touched the floor. We turn our back, tell him off. Praise when he listens etc... but if he's wound up or one of my kids come into the room you can bet he goes psycho.

I know he's still a puppy but I'm just feeling defeated at the moment. Not to mention worried that he's going to hurt someone. Not to mention the tension in the house when my husband gets upset when people are raising their voices.

Side note: Talos doesn't do 1/2 of this stuff to my husband or at least no where near as bad.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Do you exercise him enough? Do you take him for walks? Sounds like he has a lot of pent up energy that he's letting out.

It also seems that he sees you and your kids as his playmates. Have you heard of NILF (nothing in life is free) training? Make him sit before you give him any type of reward: treats, food, toys, play, affection, etc. Also, be diligent about not letting him up on the furniture. He needs to learn that YOU are the boss. Have you enrolled in formal training? If you haven't yet, it would be a very good idea!

On the flipside, remember that he's still a baby and it's going to take him a while to learn all the rules and acceptable behavior!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Agree with Sasasola, sounds like possibly not enough exercise.

Also it appears that he has free reign in your house? I would start using an SLL inside the house when he seems to be at his most crazy. You will have control while also making the commands. With the SLL he will not be able to climb, jump, bite etc.

·
Registered
92 Posts
hang in there!! I am training a puppy too and it's just so much work!! Plus it's hard to get all of the kids to be consistent with the way I want things to be done. I know how it is! Our puppy loves to bite and chew so we give her lots and lots of options that don't include us...we freeze peanut butter and banana in a KONG toy, we buy beef ribs at the farmer's markets and throw them in the backyard, we bought an antler for when she wants something hard indoors. We bought a himalayan cheese thingy for when she is crated. she has her own teddy bear for when she wants something soft. Anytime she would try to bite us it got replaced with one of her acceptable chew toys.

as far as the jumping goes, we are working on that too. we put our knee up if she starts to jump. we are working with her sitting and giving us paw when we greet her and when guests come over. it's hard. she is so excited.

hang in there though!! those sweet boxer eyes and precious kisses will keep you going!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We try to take him for walks daily but if for some reason we can't we make sure he gets play time in the yard. He's been through a training class and he does sit, down, wait, stay, paw, turn around, go to bed. All very well.... when he's not in this "I'm going crazy mode". He does not have free roam of the house. We can't let him out of our site because he gets into things he's not suppose too. He has tons of toys, we've done bully sticks, himalayan chews etc.

For the most part he's great. I'm just tired. Tired and frustrated.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
It helps to be able to vent! He's going to be going into adolescence soon - yikes. Can you find a private dog park? There are some where people pay a monthly rental, and they're fairly good about screening what dogs can belong. If you can get him a group to meet up with a few times a week it will help exhaust him. Maybe look into a doggie daycare. I think they run about $24 a half-day where we are. Staff can give you some tips from what they observe with him. You can usually also get into some type of puppy class at most of the daycares. A little positive interaction helps offset when he is so wild and oppositional now.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
You know I;ve been smitten with Talos since you got him. I think he is beautiful. He needs a job and you and the children need to be more assertive in letting him know who is in charge.At 7 months he should significantly be better at not jumping or biting on his humans. He is entering adolescent stage and another teething stage. He needs a job to do to keep him busy. It can be something simple like a structured walk, a 15 min training session periodically during the day. Its hard to train a dog when you have small children to care for. Bee3en there done that. LOL But its possible. You can even hide some treats and play "find it" with him. He sounds like a really smart guy who is just getting bored and has found that this biting gets a rise out of his humans.
For now tether him to you when he is loose in the house, make him listen even if it is just sitting, or to lie down next to you while you are doing house stuff. And when he jumps on you walk into him and bring your knee up, and firmly say NO! With the biting correct him with the slip lead and again firmly say NO! When he is biting put his prong collar on or what you use and make him do some thing, a lie down and stay. Do not let him on the furniture anymore for now until he learns you are in charge. Do not allow the children to play rough with him running after them. They an take a tennis ball in the backyard and teach him to fetch and return it y sitting when he comes back to them and dropping the ball before he gets to "fetch" again. Really it sounds like you have been doing a great job just tweet your training a bit. One puppy class is not enough either. Kai is 3 now and we still have him go through his paces. Too bad your not closer would love to play with this guy. LOL

·
Registered
189 Posts
Talos just turned 7 months old. I love him dearly and already couldn't imagine coming home after a days work and not being greeted by the butt wiggling, side stepping, paw waving cutie.

Lately though I'm finding myself feeling flustered and overwhelmed. As I've said in my pup dates we're still working on "no bite" I've tried ignore, walking away, a bonker, and of course replacing hands with toys. He will literally go around the toy to bite my hands and arms. So if I sternly say no bite and refuse to play with him he will box me, bark at me, and then proceed to try to bite whatever part of me he can. Be it my toes, legs, elbows, you name it.

Then there is the jumping. He doesn't do it AS BAD with me as the kids. Occasionally he gets wound up and will jump. Saturday he took a 5ft leap off the couch and dove into me. His feet never touched the floor. We turn our back, tell him off. Praise when he listens etc... but if he's wound up or one of my kids come into the room you can bet he goes psycho.

I know he's still a puppy but I'm just feeling defeated at the moment. Not to mention worried that he's going to hurt someone. Not to mention the tension in the house when my husband gets upset when people are raising their voices.

Side note: Talos doesn't do 1/2 of this stuff to my husband or at least no where near as bad.
Have you been to see a trainer?
Does he spend anytime in a create?

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
We try to take him for walks daily but if for some reason we can't we make sure he gets play time in the yard. He's been through a training class and he does sit, down, wait, stay, paw, turn around, go to bed. All very well.... when he's not in this "I'm going crazy mode". He does not have free roam of the house. We can't let him out of our site because he gets into things he's not suppose too. He has tons of toys, we've done bully sticks, himalayan chews etc.

For the most part he's great. I'm just tired. Tired and frustrated.
OK as always ... step one ... is to take a step back and chill! You can't help your dog if your freaking out!

None of this is unusual as a matter of it speaks to why I don't recommend GSD to uh anyone I know ... except GSD's, gone wrong can be a ER visit for someone, if owners get it wrong! And Boxers ... LOL, well I'm reluctant to recommend them also, because they can be ... a pretty hair pulling experience ...

So far ... you've been busy proving things .... that don't work??? Exercise cures all ... my GSD had endless miles of open desert to trot in trying ... to catch Struddell and unlimited ability for "exercise" ... meant nothing to him. And "Formal Obedience training" .... "Does not solve behavioral issues!"

Yep tried that one also ... net result ... a trip to the ER for me in breaking up one of Five packs! And following that ... he decided that he did not much care for people aside from me and my wife!

So you know so much for "Exercise and Formal Obedience Training!" And the knee thing ... yeah jumping was a Struddell thing, and I found the "Knee Thing" stopped her form jumping on "me" but everyone else ... was fair game! So your gonna need another approach there.

And the "Bonker thing" ... yeah ... I'd use that for Cat Chasing, Door Bolting and yard escapees! Gary Wilkes took it way beyond those issues??? But by and large most people get the "Bonker" thing wrong??? And you have to many general issues for that to be effective ... so forget that .... but I gotta plan B for "Corrections" but that is not where you wanna start!

Right now your most likely ... trying a shot gun do it all approach and the dog is well ... kinda crazy??? So that makes it kinda hard to focus ... you gotta narrow it down.

And the exercise thing ... "I'll say" is just not gonna work?? Granted that sounds odd but think it about this way. The whole point of exercise ... is to increase endurance ... well if that is accepted as true ... then after a short nap ... your dog should recover quickly and be able to keep going for uh hours??? I doubt ... that anyway here ... is gonna be able to out endurance there dog?? But hey may some of us Marathon Runners??? At any rate the dog should not be running for miles in any case until they are at least one year old so that ... is never gonna work???

And it does like sound like you've already to be training classes??? It certainly can't hurt but I'm not a fan .... I found them useless with my American Band ... D/A issues that showed up after the classes and Formal Obedience Training ... meant nothing to Rocky ... my GSD!

Oh and I have to say ... that five foot leap ... LOL, while I am sure you, would rightly say ...:

That sounds awesome but yeah ... that crap needs to stop!

But to understand where you need to go ... you need to understand where you are so start here.:

And ... I got more to actually help ... I like to kISS so it may be slightly diffrent than what you'd expect ...let me know. :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You know I;ve been smitten with Talos since you got him. I think he is beautiful. He needs a job and you and the children need to be more assertive in letting him know who is in charge.At 7 months he should significantly be better at not jumping or biting on his humans. He is entering adolescent stage and another teething stage. He needs a job to do to keep him busy. It can be something simple like a structured walk, a 15 min training session periodically during the day. Its hard to train a dog when you have small children to care for. Bee3en there done that. LOL But its possible. You can even hide some treats and play "find it" with him. He sounds like a really smart guy who is just getting bored and has found that this biting gets a rise out of his humans.
For now tether him to you when he is loose in the house, make him listen even if it is just sitting, or to lie down next to you while you are doing house stuff. And when he jumps on you walk into him and bring your knee up, and firmly say NO! With the biting correct him with the slip lead and again firmly say NO! When he is biting put his prong collar on or what you use and make him do some thing, a lie down and stay. Do not let him on the furniture anymore for now until he learns you are in charge. Do not allow the children to play rough with him running after them. They an take a tennis ball in the backyard and teach him to fetch and return it y sitting when he comes back to them and dropping the ball before he gets to "fetch" again. Really it sounds like you have been doing a great job just tweet your training a bit. One puppy class is not enough either. Kai is 3 now and we still have him go through his paces. Too bad your not closer would love to play with this guy. LOL
Awww thanks :) He is a handsome fella and in general a wonderful dog. We've just got some things we need to fix. I have to admit my children aren't small (21 & 15). But yes it's a full time job which I've currently been working a lot of extra hours, an on call weekend which keeps us confined to the house etc.

I will say that he does need to run more. We haven't been able to finish fencing the yard because my husbands back is really bad right now. He's going in for a central nerve block in 2 weeks. So his run time in our yard is on an extended leash. We haven't been to doggy day care or the dog park and really haven't been on many walks since the dreaded kennel cough. There are so many dogs in our neighborhood that we couldn't take the chance of spreading the illness. Even now he still has some lingering cough.

I 100% agree that we need more training. Obviously I don't think one 6 week class is enough. I just need to find a trainer I can afford that has some experience with boxers.

I'm just glad you all are here to let me vent and tell me I'm not crazy and give suggestions. Chip I'm at work but I'll definitely check out the video you sent when I get home!

I truly believe that some of this is not just a boredom thing. He'll play fetch very well with me. But then after a few times of bringing it back to me he'll drop the ball/toy and bite my hand. As I've said if we're playing he will tug and play but then intentionally go for my hands, wrists, arms. If you then walk away or stop playing and refuse he will bark like mad for 5 minutes and bite at your toes, hands, etc. Now, if he starts the barking thing with my husband he won't bite him. He will put his mouth on him and argh argh argh but no bites.

On a side note: We had a very good evening last night and Talos was mostly well behaved. We had one "incident" that put this mom in a panic. I took him out on his leash to go potty. He decided he was going to play tug of war with the leash. Needless to say I didn't realize his collar was too loose and next thing I know we're standing in the yard and suddenly Talos is naked. I'm holding a leash with a collar attached and a dog who looks at me like... "You're next move decides if I run." I gave a firm TALOS STAY! (which he did) Then picked all 45 pounds of him up and carried him into the house where I readjusted his collar and gave him his dignity back.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
On a side note: We had a very good evening last night and Talos was mostly well behaved. We had one "incident" that put this mom in a panic. I took him out on his leash to go potty. He decided he was going to play tug of war with the leash. Needless to say I didn't realize his collar was too loose and next thing I know we're standing in the yard and suddenly Talos is naked. I'm holding a leash with a collar attached and a dog who looks at me like... "You're next move decides if I run." I gave a firm TALOS STAY! (which he did) Then picked all 45 pounds of him up and carried him into the house where I readjusted his collar and gave him his dignity back.
That is ... "outstanding!" So apparently ... he did learn something in class! Now if you can just remember that tone of voice ... you'll go a long way towards getting him under control. Pretty sure "Stay" was not a request it was a "Command."

And he complied because it was a known trained command! If you start working on "Down" also ... the back yard can become less confining ... with eyes on the dog and proofing .... baby steps.

And the Dog Park and Doggy Day care ... yeah put me down as a "NO!" Letting him run around all day out of control with a pack of dogs ... is not really the way to go. Not to mention ... "boxers are quite often the first dogs to be asked to "Take your dog and don't come back ... "Thank You Very Much." And the GSD owners ... are usually right behind Boxers being asked ... not to come back. Most Doggy Day Cares ... are not looking for challenging dogs.

And no serious do trainer that could actually help you ... would recommend either option, unless they happen to run a Dog Daycare??? I just say "NO" to other dogs. But ... that's me. :)

But the Collar thing ... have a look here.:
https://www.ifitbarks.com/martingale-dog-collars/?gclid=CjwKCAjwu7LOBRBZEiwAQtfbGKz_2vaR8JFAkvc1Lun8qPgHj3EdHL1JJqGuWW40gGoKbYpwzbkFnRoChgQQAvD_BwE

I see they list it as a "Training Collar??" But whatever ... if folks want to believe that and helps them train there dog ...it's all good.

But what it is designed to do ...is to keep Slippery Headed Dogs form "chucking there collars at will!" I had a Boxer/APBT that could do that! It was ... "annoying" with him it was not really an issue. As he would stay by my side ...he just apparently felt the leash and collar was not necessary????

Got more but it's your turn.:cheers:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know how we feel about doggy day care. Unfortunately, there are times we don't have a choice. For the most part we are always home. My husband works from home even. But on rare occasion work sends him out of town for a few days and I work full time. So...

We did recently find out that someone my husband knows has a large fenced yard and a female boxer. She has mentioned that she'd like to "let the kids meet." Which I don't think is a completely horrible idea. (I could also be wrong)

I'm very curious about slip leashes and prong collars, etc. I'm somewhat terrified of them. I'm afraid that since I have no idea how to properly use one that I would hurt him.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Oh I'm not gonna harp on the "Doggy Day" care thing ... as a general day in day out kinda thing with a dog with uh "issues." Generally speaking it's not a good idea as a routine course of events. But as I am want to say ... "crap happens" if you need to you need ... nuff said. :)

Prong Collar and SLL (Slip Lead Leash) LOL ... in the old days ... I'd have already posted that info. But I've told by uh ...many that I tend not to ask questions. But since you did ... here you go. My tool of choice is a SLL, but the Prong Collar came in my thread some I added info on that also.

And the SLL well that is the only tool they will let one use on there dogs in rescue ... it's doesn't work for crap for "them." But for me ... "LOL" it's all I use! I get told on GSD ... a lot that I can't use it with "some" of there dogs ... and my standard answer is "Show Me!" :)

At any rate among things I have not said yet ... step one is you have to be able to "Walk Your Dog" and that is best trained "first" in a distraction free environment. That's the start of "Show them what you want and how you expect them to behave." You can't fairly correct a dog for doing something wrong ... if they don't know what they are suppose to do???

And the other Boxer thing ... that should be great! I'd meet on neutral ground first and just walk together before allowing them to meet. And no nose to nose crap, both Boxers so you might get away with that but it does not work with Band Dawg's. Neutral ground first both walking and then let them meet dragging the leashes in the back yard.

The leashes ... could create "Barrier Leash Aggression??" I've done the no leash thing ...when forced to be circumstances ... I rounded up three strays and had no choice but to bring them inside to get them off the street! They were heading towards Hwy 50! I thought I could maybe get one but when I called the one ... they all came!??

My Struddell and Gunther (former D/A) Band Dawg were all ready inside and in there beds. I told my guys Stay and let in the three pack ...Jack Russell, Shiba Inu and a Shih Tzu. After a few minutes, I released my dogs and the only issue was the Shih Tzu ... did not like Gunther's size, so she'd bark at him if he got close but he respected her objection and stayed clear.

So I kept the little guy with me and let the others out back ... everybody had a great time ... we found there home and returned them. I was sad to see them go, they were all cool dogs. :)

Oh well back on point, SLL and the Prong Collar ... here you go.:
http://www.boxerforums.com/training-behavior/179513-slip-lead-leash.html

Ask questions. :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That should give me plenty of reading to do through the day while I have down time at work today. Thanks!

I will sing a little more praise for our pups behavior last night. Talos was way over due for a bath and nail trim. He hasn't been "out" in almost 2 months so I really didn't know what to expect of his behavior. He pulled on the leash a bit but not as bad as I was expecting. Then we walked into Pet Smart and still nothing serious. As we waited to get checked in a smaller dog who was being groomed barked and barked at him so of course he answered (he's known at the doggy daycare as "Talos the barking boxer"). So we stepped out until they were ready for us.

But what surprised me most is that when another couple came in to pick up their dog he did the butt wiggle I'm going to say hi and of course he tried to jump a few times until the nice man gave him pets. Then petting stopped and he tried to jump again. I told him no and sit and he actually listened! I thought I was going to have a heart attack. Not to mention the groomer said he was completely calm and well behaved during his visit. (I think she lies)

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Hmm ... apparently ... you've done better than you were aware of! As a Breed I tend to think that "Boxers" luv to hide what they actually know and understood behind a thick layer of "Goofy" especially the girls, American Lines anyway ... I've never worked with a full Euro???

And for you the bad behavior is so bad that you could not see what you've done right! But when the chips were down ... you relied on what he knew and understood for "control" and it worked out fine.

And what you've stumbled onto ... is no corrections needed ... because you "show him what you wanted. :)

So you've got Stay and Sit and now you need to add "Down!" If you get that one uh ... "down." It can go a long way, to solving both the biting and the jumping! :)

Oh have to ask ... "how does he do on leash ... can you walk him relatively "issue free???"

And an aside ... your kids ... are making your job harder ... it's a Boxer thing. The fun ones ... actually suck people into there antics! Struddell why otherwise well behaved ... was pretty embarrassing with company. Male guest enjoyed her antics and if I tried to make her go to bed and keep her there ... I was the bad guy???

She pleaded with company with her eyes and they got on me to release the hounds!! So now ... I'm the bad guy??? So it was always ... fine them, and chaos would then ensue. I feel "Place" would have worked better but I stumbled onto that with my first GSD, Rocky and he was not a fan of company in the home.

I never got a single request to release him for "Place." Got more but wanted to get this bit out there. :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmm ... apparently ... you've done better than you were aware of! As a Breed I tend to think that "Boxers" luv to hide what they actually know and understood behind a thick layer of "Goofy" especially the girls, American Lines anyway ... I've never worked with a full Euro???

And for you the bad behavior is so bad that you could not see what you've done right! But when the chips were down ... you relied on what he knew and understood for "control" and it worked out fine.

And what you've stumbled onto ... is no corrections needed ... because you "show him what you wanted. :)

So you've got Stay and Sit and now you need to add "Down!" If you get that one uh ... "down." It can go a long way, to solving both the biting and the jumping! :)

Oh have to ask ... "how does he do on leash ... can you walk him relatively "issue free???"

And an aside ... your kids ... are making your job harder ... it's a Boxer thing. The fun ones ... actually suck people into there antics! Struddell why otherwise well behaved ... was pretty embarrassing with company. Male guest enjoyed her antics and if I tried to make her go to bed and keep her there ... I was the bad guy???

She pleaded with company with her eyes and they got on me to release the hounds!! So now ... I'm the bad guy??? So it was always ... fine them, and chaos would then ensue. I feel "Place" would have worked better but I stumbled onto that with my first GSD, Rocky and he was not a fan of company in the home.

I never got a single request to release him for "Place." Got more but wanted to get this bit out there. :)
Thanks! I know we've made progress. I think some days his stubbornness mixed with life in general gets a bit overwhelming. I try to remind myself
A. He's 7 months old
B. Just keep working at it
C. Not every day is going to be perfect

He knows the command "Down" to go into a lie position. It's the one he gives me the hardest time on. He'll go down but then pops right back up. As far as his jumping on everyone I'm trying to teach him "OFF!"

Leash... well... he does okay when going out to do his business and I walk him around the yard on his leash until it's time to come in. Then he jumps on me and tries to play tug with the leash etc. So in the last few days when he has started doing this I stop walking towards the house. Turn my direction but always trying to keep my back to him. This caused him some confusion and we got almost to the house before he realized... "Wait! She's taking back in there" Another time I just kind of took off in a higher speed saying "Come on Talos! Lets get dad!" So now we're kind of fast walk/not quite run and he didn't do his crazy.

Out on a walk. He tugs a lot. Wants to see, sniff and try to eat everything. We call him a trash can on legs. He likes to taste every new leaf, blade of grass, flower, he can get too. Not to mention bird poop, dried worms, ants, etc. He recently did relatively well with my husband... until he saw the neighbors out. :cry_baby:

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
We went through all that too. Eventually he got it. We did use a prong collar to control him. When walking if he started we would quickly change our direction and continue on. Sometimes it was overwhelming. As far as neighbors and other dogs my daughter would either make him sit while they went past and at times had to put him in a down and stand on his leash short if he ate up. Now he is mostly good though its been awhile since he has been in the street. Daughter busy with school, me knee replacement and its just to darn hot & humid, for him.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
He knows the command "Down" to go into a lie position. It's the one he gives me the hardest time on. He'll go down but then pops right back up. As far as his jumping on everyone I'm trying to teach him "OFF!"
And ... there you go!! Down in my view ... tends to tick Boxers OFF! Struddell "hated" down ... but she would comply! And she would blow her flews in protest ... but "Down" she would go! Down meant "Play time" was freaking over ... keep working it. :)

Leash... well... he does okay when going out to do his business and I walk him around the yard on his leash until it's time to come in. Then he jumps on me and tries to play tug with the leash etc. So in the last few days when he has started doing this I stop walking towards the house. Turn my direction but always trying to keep my back to him. This caused him some confusion and we got almost to the house before he realized... "Wait! She's taking back in there" Another time I just kind of took off in a higher speed saying "Come on Talos! Lets get dad!" So now we're kind of fast walk/not quite run and he didn't do his crazy.
Forward motion ... tends to work ... but you can't allow her out in front of you?? If her butts goes past your knee and she's pulling ... you've lost control! The "correction" is gonna be a slight tug sideways before that happens. And ... as I am actively engaged on GSDFoum about ... apparently ... my "slight tug sideways thing???" It would seem ... no one does that??? I kinda sorta thought everyone did???

The Walk, is important, I got lost here on what I have and have not posted ... but have a look here on the "Walk Thing." And yes ... I use a SLL, it is the only tool they will let you use in rescue ... they don't have a clue how to use one. :)

http://www.boxerforums.com/training-behavior/179513-slip-lead-leash.html

Lot's of stuff there and the "Walk" is important! If you get that down ... you will find ... "everything else, becomes easier!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Oh teenagers!
I would go back to basic obedience and keep him on a lead in the house. Try to interrupt the beahavior BEFORE it happens.
Hang in there, but be firm and consistant to how you expect him to act in the home and with your family.
Teenage dogs often need to go back to basic training.
Don't forget to reward good behavior every time he acts good and I mean every time.
I am a HUGE FAN of NILIF (Nothing in life is free) and handfeeding. I hand feed through training from day one half of their food until adult. (until trained and respectful adult)
Teaches respect and assures at least 2 training sessions a day. Takes about 5 mins. Kids can do it too.
Don't get discouraged take a step back and keep going get the kids involved too.
My dogs have taught me more about myself than any human being. When feeling overwhealmed I literally stop training and take a day or 2 off to sit back, and analyze.
Hang in there!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh teenagers!
I would go back to basic obedience and keep him on a lead in the house. Try to interrupt the beahavior BEFORE it happens.
Hang in there, but be firm and consistant to how you expect him to act in the home and with your family.
Teenage dogs often need to go back to basic training.
Don't forget to reward good behavior every time he acts good and I mean every time.
I am a HUGE FAN of NILIF (Nothing in life is free) and handfeeding. I hand feed through training from day one half of their food until adult. (until trained and respectful adult)
Teaches respect and assures at least 2 training sessions a day. Takes about 5 mins. Kids can do it too.
Don't get discouraged take a step back and keep going get the kids involved too.
My dogs have taught me more about myself than any human being. When feeling overwhealmed I literally stop training and take a day or 2 off to sit back, and analyze.
Hang in there!
Thanks Coop!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts