Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've all been very excited about meeting our possible new boxer tomorrow from a rescue shelter. Last week my Dad and Stepmom said "Oh, don't get a boxer, they have alot of health problems." Then today my Mother-In-Law called after getting an e-mail from me and left a message saying that boxers are known to get tumors and be very hyper.
I know they are trying to be well meaning, but I've researched this decision, it's not a quick one, and people are making it sound like there is a higher chance of health problems than any other dog. All dogs have thier problems. Here's a link to our hopeful new pup. :)
http://www.lonestarboxerrescue.com/boxers/2007/sierra/
Are Boxers at a higher risk than I am thinking?

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Any animal can potentially have health problems.  So can any person for that matter.

Remember an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.  
So make sure she is healthy and strive to keep her that way.  The key to a truly healthy immune system is great nutrition.

Our bodies are capable of making a beter antibiotic than any pharmacutical lab on the planet if we spport it properly with good nutrition the same is true for our pets.

Don't let others talk you down from rescuing that beautiful boxer if you really have your heart set on making her a member of your home.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Awhhh... what a great site! I want HER!! LOL She's very beautiful! Looks like she'll be a great pet.

We know how you feel though... we brought up getting a Boxer to a few people... some said...

"Are you sure you want to do that?"

"I heard they have bad health problems."

"They're really really HYPER!"

"They dig."

Or just the "OH?! Yeah??"

Very annoying... I mean yes people mean well maybe but if they don't know personally I don't think they should make such comments. I've never met a boxer owner that said "I'd never get a boxer again." "Getting a boxer was a big mistake." ETC ETC ETC... just the thought annoys me. Don't let it get you down. We told Steven's mother in law that we got a boxer and she was very "...oh?" like shocked... like that was a strange thing to do... to get a boxer for sarah and us.

Some people misinturpret them... not as badly as pitbulls but they do.

·
Registered
159 Posts
It sounds like your family is trying to be cool by offering advice, but man, all dogs have their problems. We had an English Bulldog that almost caused us to file bankruptcy because of the health bills. People kids are sick or have health problems all the time too. Even the finest crafted automobiles like my multi colored '82 K-car (yeah, that's right, got a problem with that? :x  I pimp all around town in my K-car. I really don't have one, it just sounded funny. I have an '01 Z28 Convertible and a full size Bronco for work) break down on occasion. I really, REALLY hope that you're not too swayed from adopting Sierra. Looking forward to lots of pics of your new baby--Rich

·
Registered
905 Posts
Ohhh, please don't let them get to you!

ALL pedigree dogs are prone to certain health problems, depending on breed - it's just a simple fact of coming from a fairly common gene pool.  However, just because they can get something doesn't at all mean that they will.  There is a world of difference between potential and actuality.

And I would actually stake money on it that none of those people who were "iffy" about you adopting a Boxer have ever actually had one - would I be right?

Listen, if someone laid out the cons of having a child against the pros, no-one would ever have kids, but it just doesn't work like that, right?  Same with dogs, and particularly Boxers.

The best way i can think to put it is that when I got my first tattoo, I said to the artist before he started "Is it really that sore???" and he just looked at me and said "If it was, do you think so many people would come back and have more and more and more of them?"

Boxers are exactly the same - do you really think that if they were as frail and expensive and difficult as some people would have you believe that all of us would even be here on this forum???

You go ahead and do what I think you already have your heart set on - go and give that gorgeous girl the home she deserves - you will never look back.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, you guys are just awesome! Exactly what I needed to hear. Thanks! We went shopping for her tonight and can't wait to bring her home tomorrow!
Thanks again, Will post pics soon!

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Good luck with your new boxer!  They are the best and I have been hooked on them for 26 years now!  I haven't met any young dogs that aren't hyper, of any breed.  If you encounter questions this is a great bunch of people who will walk you thru with their own experience on dealing with their own boxers.  

Glad you are following your heart and rescuing a wonderful dog!

Nano

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I had started to answer this last nite, but we had a bad storm coming so I had to get offline, real fast....Ditto what everyone else has said..Bottom line is, there are no guarantees. Even if you were to get the perfect puppy, all testing had been done, there is no assurance that nothing will happen...Every breed has it's health issues, every single one of them....

I think Mastray said it best, have you ever met a boxer owner that said they wouldn't have another? Follow your heart and it sound slike you have done a lot of research and please feel free to ask any questions that you need....That's why we all are here.. :)

Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
342 Posts
it's funny that every breed you bring up somebody has a horror story.  I have had several different breeds and will never choose another.  Boxers in may opinion are the best.  they are big enough to be a guard dog, they are extremely loyal, they are lapdogs and above all they are the ultimate best friend.  Everyone I know that has a boxer say that they are great, especially those who have chosen a different breed as a second dog.  Don't let anyone else make up your mind for you, they are great dogs...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts