Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy, Astrid, will be 10 weeks old tomorrow. I just noticed this morning that she seems to be walking on the outside of her feet, more noticeably on her right paw. I checked to see if there was something that was bothering the bottom of her foot and I clipped her nails to make sure, but she was still walking on the outside of her paw. I just did a little reading online and found an article on a great dane website about knuckling and bowed legs. If that's what it is, it's not severe yet and hopefully I can reverse it since I caught it early. We have stained concrete floors and it was mentioned in the article that when a puppy is growing, concrete floors and other hard surface floors are bad for the muscle and ligament development. I had a previous vet appointment for her on the 25th and wonder if I should make an earlier appointment or if I should wait. My question is, has anyone on this forum had a personal experience with this? If you did, what did your vet say/ what did you do?

And a cute photo of the baby :inlove:

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Ugh ... put more throw rugs down to start and unfortunately ... I don't have links at hand?? But I have heard of this and in puppy's this young I do believe it is related to diet??? Hopefully those in the know will chime in.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I feed her Earthborn Holistic Puppy Vantage. According to Dog Food Advisior, it's a 4.5 star food. I would think that it has all the nutrition she should need.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
I feed her Earthborn Holistic Puppy Vantage. According to Dog Food Advisor, it's a 4.5 star food. I would think that it has all the nutrition she should need.
I would agree with you, that food should be fine?? But something seems to be off??

But rather than guessing??? Get her to a Vet, a Physical and a Blood Panel should provide some answers???

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Not sure its the same, but when Zuke was a pup between the ages of about 5 -7 months his front knuckles would actually turn up sometimes. The bottom pads would actually stick out front. Vet said he was growing quickly and if he was playing or very active it was most likely the strength in his feet couldn't keep up with how fast he was growing when he was tired..

Sure enough, a couple months later it stopped and never happened again.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
My puppy, Astrid, will be 10 weeks old tomorrow. I just noticed this morning that she seems to be walking on the outside of her feet, more noticeably on her right paw. I checked to see if there was something that was bothering the bottom of her foot and I clipped her nails to make sure, but she was still walking on the outside of her paw. I just did a little reading online and found an article on a great dane website about knuckling and bowed legs. If that's what it is, it's not severe yet and hopefully I can reverse it since I caught it early. We have stained concrete floors and it was mentioned in the article that when a puppy is growing, concrete floors and other hard surface floors are bad for the muscle and ligament development. I had a previous vet appointment for her on the 25th and wonder if I should make an earlier appointment or if I should wait. My question is, has anyone on this forum had a personal experience with this? If you did, what did your vet say/ what did you do?

And a cute photo of the baby :inlove:

I knew this has been discussed before or at least it sounds similar, I believe it is called carpal flexion, look up this old thread in the search bar New puppy 8 weeks right paw looks slightly crooked

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
and as Chip said it is related somewhat to diet, the food you are feeding while very good is very high in protein its like 28%, I think I read in that older thread it should be lower. I really am not experienced so I don't want to tell you but the is what I read on the thread. You really should speak to your vet and I believe the original poster lowered her dogs protein to 22% and i think Kari recommended 24. So Read the thread and talk to vet.LOL Its so difficult to diagnose anything over internet.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, it sounds close to what Matt74 said about Zuke. It doesn't twist in when she's been resting, only when she's been playing for a while. I have an appointment for the vet not this Thursday but next for her next round of shots and didn't know if this was serious enough to take her sooner. So those that say ask the vet, I fully intend to as my previous post said. I think I'll just call them tomorrow if they are open (Martin Luther King Day) and ask if they think it warrants an earlier visit.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Hmm OK, it does seem like it is related to nutrition??? I sadly lost track of the thread and board that had a related answer??? But mostly a "Blood Panel" would be the place to start??? It does appear that this kinda thing does happen??

Growing pains as it were?? I know you can't go all crazy with exercise with a "puppy" no marathon hikes and stuff. Bones and or joints are still forming??? But beyond that ... I'm out of ideas???

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought I would let you guys know, she grew out of it before I could take her to the vet appointment this week. Seems I was freaking out for no reason, which I often do when it comes to my dogs....Thanks for the advice and information that everyone gave.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a friend that had a puppy that his legs bowed out. Grew too fast so I suggested to take him off puppy food, too high of protein. Cleared right up. It’s somewhat surprising but I with some large breeds you are better off limiting the high protein foods to slow the growth slightly. Helps later with their hips as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts