Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi we just adopted a female boxer about a month ago from the local shelter. She is about 6 months. Last week we brought her to meet a family members female golden retriever of about the same age. We introduced them slowly, but by the end of the night they were playing great together. No aggression even though they're both female. But a couple days ago we brought her back and tied them up next to each other and within a few minutes my boxer had the golden pinned down. Someone was able to quickly grab her so that was as far as it got. Is this a deal breaker? There were other people around as it was a small family get together. Maybe too much stimulation at once??

·
Registered
38 Posts
... within a few minutes my boxer had the golden pinned down. ...
It's a bit difficult to answer this without actually seeing the interaction. How did they get to the pin down? Was it truly aggressive or was it rough play? Some dogs are not ideal playmates because they may have different play styles, and boxers can mistakenly come across as being aggressive due to their physicality.

My 15 month old girl loves to wrestle and she gets very rough with her best buddies (mostly other girls). They pin each other down, growl, "bite" each other's necks - and they have a wonderful time! It sometimes looks aggressive to onlookers, but it is definitely fun fun fun play. They love each other.

But there have also been a couple of times when my girl pinned down a smaller dog and it was clearly not ok because the smaller dog was totally overpowered. Both times a ball was involved and both times I had to intervene and pull her away and reprimand her and give a time out. She's usually a wonderful player with dogs of all sizes and will adjust to the other dog's style, but these couple of times she was just a jerk and I needed to show her the boundary.

So, overall I'd suggest helping her find playmates who will match her play style. And also helping her regulate her behavior by guiding her boundaries and giving her rest breaks and time outs during play sessions. Also, getting her a bit tired out before meeting up with a puppy playmate can help burn off some of the wild energy before it can cause a problem with crazy play.

Again, it's a bit difficult to assess without personally seeing the interaction with the Golden, or without much more descriptiveness of what occurred leading up to the pin down.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a bit difficult to answer this without actually seeing the interaction. How did they get to the pin down? Was it truly aggressive or was it rough play? Some dogs are not ideal playmates because they may have different play styles, and boxers can mistakenly come across as being aggressive due to their physicality.

My 15 month old girl loves to wrestle and she gets very rough with her best buddies (mostly other girls). They pin each other down, growl, "bite" each other's necks - and they have a wonderful time! It sometimes looks aggressive to onlookers, but it is definitely fun fun fun play. They love each other.

But there have also been a couple of times when my girl pinned down a smaller dog and it was clearly not ok because the smaller dog was totally overpowered. Both times a ball was involved and both times I had to intervene and pull her away and reprimand her and give a time out. She's usually a wonderful player with dogs of all sizes and will adjust to the other dog's style, but these couple of times she was just a jerk and I needed to show her the boundary.

So, overall I'd suggest helping her find playmates who will match her play style. And also helping her regulate her behavior by guiding her boundaries and giving her rest breaks and time outs during play sessions. Also, getting her a bit tired out before meeting up with a puppy playmate can help burn off some of the wild energy before it can cause a problem with crazy play.

Again, it's a bit difficult to assess without personally seeing the interaction with the Golden, or without much more descriptiveness of what occurred leading up to the pin down.
Thanks for your reply. It's a bit hard for me also as I did not personally see the interaction. Just heard barking and and was told she pinned her down. Problem I'm having is not knowing her history due to her being a rescue and I obviously wouldn't want to cause any harm to our family's pup. We spend A LOT of time over there so I see it almost impossible to not be able to bring her or even count on them as sitters for us. I was so excited and relieved that they got along well the first interaction so this has me pretty torn. I also have young children. I have reached out to a trainer familiar with boxers in my area, waiting for a response.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Usually if real fighting is going on you would know it but it’s important for you to know exactly what happened here. Usually if it’s female on female aggression it occurs at home where there is a need to be the queen of the house so not sure if this would occur at a niehbors house this could also be rough play or the dogs simply don’t like each other that happens it’s like throwing two people together you never know if they will get along or not. I would not leave them unsupervised and some obedience classes would help

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Aww well I was not there so I don't know what happened? But it strikes me that this dog is not gonna be compatible with your life style and what you want to do with your dog? If you wanted a "Boxer," and they were going to be around other dog's as a Life Style choice you should have got a "Male." Her loosing it at 6 month's around 6 month's old with another female and not at her home? Is kinda unusual but most likely, not unheard of?

6 months is kinda early to start seeing this kind of issue? But it's a Female Boxer! And I Luv (actually prefer the girl's) but I will not screw around with the interfemale aggression thing ... at all. If she did this at 6 month's? The clock has already passed midnight. You can get her "fixed," if you like and I would say ... "Good Luck," with that as a solution!

There is an endless list of owners that " think," Fixing Solves All. Wait till she hit's, I'd say 12 to 18 month's old ... intact or not and put her around another female dog. And at 18 month's and about 55 to 60 lbs? You will see true "He$$ on earth? And most likely ... someone get "bit," breaking the dog's up? And then you have created a dog with a bite history!

And "Good Luck," rehoming a dog with a bite history! I would change my "Expectation's, of what I was going to be able to do with this dog? Or return her, or get here and foster (with help of the foster) and tell them ... "Does not like other Females!" As most likely ... they did know? And your kid's are fine ... it has nothing to docrap! with them.

Sorry to be Mr. Bad news Bear, but based on experience with an already fixed 7 month old Working Line GSD. Being fixed (at 7n when I got him) once he hit ... 15 to 18 month's, (being fixed) did not mean CRAP!" And yep he got a Bite History, when I got in the way!

As he sent me to the ER for stiches! 113 lb GSD and 85 lb Band Dawg (housemate) ... my GSD had issues with? But that is nothing to a seriously "Ticked Off, Female Boxer!" I saw that with my "Baby Girl, Struddell (Boxer)" she went "Berserk," over my Band Dawg's ... Lack of Respect, for Baby Kittens being Born? That was about 15 years ago and I still remember it ... she was a handful to get under control!

And my GSD that sent me to the ER, LOL well he proved to be a great Dog, in the long run. But the Female Boxer's around other Female Dogs ... (Apprently in your case not "House Mates (the norm)." That is Genetics, and it is something ... I will not fool with myself.

I would change my "Expectations (of what I could do with her or Rehome her,) but hey that's me. I call it like I see but you can always just "Google Interfemale Aggression and Boxer's," and I won't seem so "extreme," ... just saying. Welcome Aboard, anyway. :)

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Well I must say Kudo's for reaching out to a "Trainer!" :)

When you come up against a dog with issues you don't understand ... that is the right move! So good call there. And my best guess is they will say she is a "Dominant Female." Which in Boxers is not unusual in Female Boxer's but most Girl's know how to "Dial It Down." But your girl ... not so much?

It does not mean there is anything wrong with her. But it does mean "out the gate," she does not meet your expectations of what you can currently do with her? And that is the "make or break, for some people with ... problem dog's?

Most that fail, try and force a Round Peg dog into a Square Dog Hole, and dogs and people tend to get hurt and the dog get's PTS when enough folk's get bit breaking up the chaos?

And that is a choice owner's that refuse to change expectations (of what they can do with there dog's make.) All my dog's were dominant dog's, and they were safe around other Dog's. But it took me years before "I felt safe," leaving them around other dog's unsupervised and even then ... that only happened when I forced to do so. Other than that ... they stayed at home. Dog's don't need Doggy friend's all they need is "You!"

If you don't want to do that ... then you need to "pay someone" to help you with her! Pro's have pack of dog's of trained Dog Safe Dog's to help with rehab. Lone Wolf JQP, dog trainers do not! I don't put other people's pet's at risk to "Proof," my work! Just saying.

And I would be quite surprised if you see that golden retriever, again near your dog. After that crap happened those owners, my be seeing blow back with there dog?

Oh and when I said just take her back? OK I did not know (remember she came from a shelter?) If you feel ... she is going to be much work for you? You can contact a Boxer Rescue better or a General Rescue and offer to Foster in Place." And I am not saying you need, to do that ... just saying you still have options if this dog is too much a challenge for you?

And my standard warning anyway but espically for you! Is do not Dog Park, your dog. Nothing good can come of it. Aside from Proofing," you won't find well trained dog at a Dog Park.

Your more likely to find dogs and owner's like these.

And yeah I can be a bit "Extreme," but I learned crap the hard way! Cause the "School of Hard Knock's," can work also but yeah ... not the best choice? :whistle:

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Hi we just adopted a female boxer about a month ago from the local shelter. She is about 6 months. Last week we brought her to meet a family members female golden retriever of about the same age. We introduced them slowly, but by the end of the night they were playing great together. No aggression even though they're both female. But a couple days ago we brought her back and tied them up next to each other and within a few minutes my boxer had the golden pinned down. Someone was able to quickly grab her so that was as far as it got. Is this a deal breaker? There were other people around as it was a small family get together. Maybe too much stimulation at once??
I'd call up the Rescue you got her from to see if she was in a foster home with other dogs, and how she got along with them. You can also find a Doggie Daycare that is reputable, and have them evaluate her for acceptance into their daycare program. They have lots of experience evaluating how new clients will adapt to packs of dogs. Boxers play rough. The female Boxer we got would bite our male's back legs, and pull on his cheeks with her teeth. They took turns downing each other, and made an awful noise growling. If the female Golden Retriever's been around quite a few dogs she may be fine. If not, the Boxer shouldn't be able to play that rough with her. Maybe you have a wild child, and they do calm down. Congratulations on your rescue!

·
Registered
Max AKA Mogs (mogwai)
4 Posts
I adopted late January, my boy plays very rough and pins (he is somewhere between 2 and 3). It's the boxer way, and he really hasn't been socialized I think as I do know a great deal of his history and he was severely over crated to protect him from an abusive man. Fortunately the shelter was familiar with quite a bit of his history. Also, my boy is boxer/pit mix, which means he has double dose of goofy but also double dose of sweetness and love! His personality and tendencies are definitely more boxer, they take a bit longer to settle out of puppyhood than pits.

So fast forward some months where he was still in isolation getting through lyme disease and then a cancer scare / surgery, I have been working with both a trainer who will work at socializing him and also where I occasionally board him. But they both agree that he needs to be socialized at the outset with just the right dog, one who is equally strong but well tempered as my Max needs to be taught to some degree by another dog, he has never had that. He actually pulled me down on the ground yesterday lunging after the neighbor mastiff who was being very aggressive toward him (although still on his own property). The good news is he and the neighbor boxer met up close by accident (the other broke away from his people and rushed over to ours) and they had a great few minutes working hard to pin each other, not a single growl, not even a play growl. So we both agree our dogs need a friend and we are seeking out a fenced area to try to have a VERY STRUCTURED play date. I will definitely work him hard with some zoomies just before we do that to work some of the edge off him first, I do that even before he goes for his weekly training appointment, he pays attention better and we try not to call him "Mr. A-D-D".

I started him right out with nose to nose interaction by taking him into the local Tractor Supply and any pet stores we could at least once per week, but cautiously, front/top hook harness and emergency backup pinch collar as I know he can overpower me). But the key info the trainer gave me right at the outset is that he needs to work, needs to have a job. Enter the backpacks and him carrying things. He He.. I had him so wore out last week before our training appointment he was responding beautifully to every single thing, trainer said she almost felt bad taking my money. But the key info she gave me right at the outset is that he needs to work, needs to have a job. Enter the backpacks and him carrying things. Wish every day was consistently like that, but with patience and dedication to the training work every day, I have full confidence in him. The goal for his trainer and I is to repair some of the trauma and have a go anywhere/do anything dog. You just need to find the right path that works for you and the dog's personality. I wont say there is never a bad dog, they unfortunately do sometimes get that way due to poor human interaction, but the shelters around us are typically pretty good at filtering those dogs out and being extremely selective at placing them. I had to go through a pretty rigorous interview with my boy as they knew he was very powerful, virtually no training, and had to have a home where we were willing to work with him. They had already turned 3 people away for him, but my history with boxers and Rhodesian ridgebacks made them believe I was the right candidate.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
I started him right out with nose to nose interaction by taking him into the local Tractor Supply and any pet stores we could at least once per week, but cautiously, front/top hook harness and emergency backup pinch collar as I know he can overpower me). But the key info the trainer gave me right at the outset is that he needs to work, needs to have a job.
Well congrads' on the work your doing! And I am glad it is going well for you.

But the nose to nose intro's? Only shelter's do that? No one that knows what they are doing would do that? That is a "challenge!" And whoever "blinks first," is getting his "A$$," kicked as long as you don't have or meet a "Dominate Dog?" It can work out fine?

But someone would have a "Zero Chance," of meeting one of my dog's ... that way. My dog's are taught to "ignore other dog's." And that is what we do. We'd step aside and let you be on your way.

Nose to nose is a challenge ... if you have not seen a "issue with it," so far? You have not meet the "Right or Wrong Dog?" I stopped doing that crap with my first dog Gunther .... 25% Bullmastiff,25% Lab and 50% APBT. If a dog "Blinked First?" That was a dog who's a$$ needed kicking?

He got better once I said screw this and just teach him to "ignore other dog's! No more "unexpected challenges?" And I got to "Proof," when I ... was "forced to rescue ... not one or two but "Three Stray's," off the street at once?

An actual "Pack of Dog's," heading towards the Hwy??? I saw them and had to intervene! I had hoped I could save at least one? And called the nearest me a "Shitzu," and the others followed? Ok then unexpected? But we will roll with it?

My Boxer I expected no issue with? She did not really "know other dog's either because I had taught her to "ignore other dog's also" because of Gunther? Time critical becasue I had to get "apprently now," all three dog's off the street and into the house. My dog's happen to be inside and on there beds and I just told them "Stay!"

A Shitzu, a Jack Russell and a Shiba Inu? Quite the pack? Only the Shitzu had an issue? She did not like Gunthers size? She barked at him if he got to close to her? Ok odd but whatever ... "Gunther did not care?" So I kept her with me and let the others go outside to play .... there were "Zero Issues!" Everybody had a great time! And I don't know about the "New Dog's," but I know that my dog's had never interacted freely with other dog's uh in there lives! So we are talking years. But it went well and we found where the "Pack," had come from and got them home. :)

And my dog's had never interacted freely with other dog's in years! And only the Nose to Nose intro ... I had tried was with my Band Dawg Gunther when I tried to remove a "Boxer from a Shelter." I saw him there and called a "Boxer Rescue," and said I would try and get him out? I told them about Gunther and they told me OK ... but don't take your "Dog," down there?

Well that silly to me? Well that seemed "silly?" To me "what do they know that I do not ... this was in 2004 or so. So I took my dog there anyway ... despite there advise? And it was then I discovered what "The Boxer Rescue Knew?" They knew the Shelter, was going to do the "Nose to Nose," bit and they knew ... my "Band Dawg," was not going to have it! Sigh so I had to call them back, tell them what I did nd they had to make other arrangements to get the dog ... my bad. :(

But lesson learned ... the Boxer Rescue knew the Shelter was going to do the "Nose to Nose bit." And they knew "from what I had told them ... that my dog was not going to have it?" Now nothing happened but they were "uncomfortable with how my dog presented and they say "No!"

I had to call the "Boxer Rescue," back to make other arrangements ... my bad. And from there I kept trying with my "Band Dawg," to make him other dog friendly? But it never worked? And finally when he "Slapped Down," a Boxer Puppy at "Petco," he pawed the pup to the ground and then went into bite? But I shielded the pup with my hand! And my dog let up? I knew "I," had a problem ... so I took him in for an eval by a "Pro."

And they said "NO," he is not "Dog Aggressive, he is just a "Dominate Male Dog." And that simply means as long as the other dog "yields ground?" There is no issue. But if the other dog does not? There is going to be an issue?

To much for work for me ... so I said thank you for the info, I got this. I taught him to ignore other dog's and got on with life. No "BackPack's or Trainers required," other dog's are not your concern dog. Ignore them ... I am in charge ... and if another dog comes our way ... we will yield ground gladly! And if we go to the "Vet," my dog's have no issue!

I like to keep it simple. My dog's have no requirement to "like other dog's? They only have to be "civil," we don't look for trouble, we don't make trouble, just leave us be. But that "nose to nose crap?" Your looking for trouble ... "no trainer I would recommend does that?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts