Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My female boxer does this quite rarely, but I am always keeping an eye on the area to see what sort of dogs are around, my friends female boxer also pins other dogs, long straight legs, and growling, it’s not nice but there is never biting. Is this a boxer thing? Is it more prevalent in female boxers?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
It really depends on the situation. It can be a form of play between boxers. My guy and a female boxer take turns going to their back during play. Some boxers growl during play some are quiet.

I would say you have to read the situation, know your dog and her body language and you should be able to determine what is normal and what is not.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Well I'm not gonna disagree with Matt but I am gonna add some further insight ... I think?? :)

My first question would be, "who are these "other dog's??" As in, is this a "Dog Park," thing?? Cause if it is your not get much support for that particular choice. I have recently with uh "No Dog's, or two if I get "trapped, inside." And that short experiment was for training al Bella did have fun with one of the two dog's, the other just ignored Bella and his pal ... work's for me.
Anyway, where are these dog's being "pinned," found???"

Next to better understand Boxer's style of "Play," it is helpful if they have a (live in friend) in your case ... preferably not a another Boxer!! A different bred ... maybe?? There style of play tends to be "kinda on the loud and frantic side??" Lot's of "High Speed Antic's," they spin, circle and like to hop on dog's and try and knock them over! If they have a stout, sturdy and tolerant/willing housemate, it's no big deal. :)

If there housemate is stout, sturdy and has a high tolerance for well ... "BS," it's no big deal.
IE, it's just what they do. Seen that crap a million time's .. myself it's what (Boxer's) do. And yes there is also lot's of sound fury but "you know," it's no big deal. But that kinda crap ... is really not the norm??

And I will add that maybe where you are?? You can find Boxer experienced trainer's?? If not look for "Trainer's," Experienced in Dog Aggression??" If that is a fail also sigh then just find Wl GSD, guy's. No shortage of those guy's world wide ... just saying. :)

But if you have never seen it before?? Well it can seem, like a dog on the edge?? And it is why Boxer's tend to be the first at (Doggy Care) to be asked to "Take your dog and ... don't come back, Thank You For Your Patronage.") but hey don't feel bad (that's me) cuz the GSD owner's, will be next in line to be asked to "Leave." :)

Now the X-Factor, here is both female's you describe sound like "Dominate Female's??" And in a nut very simple not shell, the dog being "Pinned," most likely "present's as being weak??"

Dominant Dog's, sigh ... all my Male's can just be well PIA A-Hole's! And they just luv to "Prey," on the Weak! And "Weak Dog's," will submit, that is what the "Growling in the face is for." And for the most part the well ... "A-Hole Dog's," are pretty good at spotting victim's??

The best "Dog Park," dog's (not saying you go) are "Balanced Dog's," ie they won't back down from a fight, but they won't start them either. The A- Hole dog's look for the Weak/Insecure Dog's." The "issue's start," when Domaninate Dog One ... comes across Dominate Two! And that is when you will see an "Obvious Issue!"

And "Plan B," comes into effect ...

And you really, really ... don't want to go there! Cuz it sound's like your girl and your friend's girl (who from what you have said ... seems to be more over the top??" Cuz sooner or later, they are gonna chose the wrong "victim!" And then it's gonna be ... "Game On!"

Dominate Dog One vs Domaninate Dog Two ... someone is gonna submit or die!!! One of them is gonna submit or Die! And dog's and owners can get hurt or killed (trying to break them up) Yep that happened with Boxer involvement (By accident admittedly) but dog and owner both wound up dead ... another story.

Now the "Female," specif bit?? Well I don't really want to add fuel to the fire as it were??? As I luv and prefer the "Female's," but I can say ... and it does a lot ... but you really, really, don't wanna trip that switch that "Makes Them Angry!" Cuz as the saying goes ... "Don't make Angry, Cuz You Won't Like Me When I am Angry!"

I managed to trip that switch with my Baby Girl Struddell ... Over baby kitten's being born and my Gunther's ... "Lack of Respect," for the progress. And by God if Daddy would not teach Gunther "RESPECT," then she would!! And from there ... it was "Game On" WTH???

LOL, Good Time' Good Time's but that is another story. And other than my Stru (on that occasion) well OK twice but extenuating circumstances the second time.

The only other Boxer that could send a shivering down your spine was "also," a Female! A Flashy that time safely behind a wrought iron fence! Met them on a Walk. I stopped to talk and asked the owner to bring her out. They did and she was on a leash and straining!

They had said "does not like other dog's," I said that is fine had my "Rocky Over Size Working Line GSD. Sigh also a (former) "Pack Fighting," (five times) send you to the ER for stitches "A-Hole," but ... long story. He got better! And learned to ignore other dog's.

But hey it got better and he "paid," Zero Attention to that Boxer ...cuz that was my job! And I did and I watched her and I noted that first she did not make a single sound! But she stared at Rocky like he was "Raw Meat!" And did not make a sound?? And Rocky out weighed, her by at least 40 lbs?? And she did not care!!

I swallowed hard and said, "Thank You," she is Beautiful, and we got the heck out of Dodge! I have met and worked with a lot of Boxer's over the year's. But that was the "scariest," unknown Boxer, ... I have ever seen! And thankful those folk's no longer did the "Dog Park," thing!

OK so you know a lot there. But back on point ... it can take both time and experience to be able to "accurately read dog's???" And apparently many, many year's ago ... I could not?? So Plan B, ... I'll just deal with crap as it happens??

IE the "School Of Hard Knocks!" Well ... that work's to. Sigh and the result between Rocky and my Gunther my Band Dawg, was month's, of walking on egg shell's, tension in the household, learning the wrong way to Break Up Dog Fight's (The Dog's were always OK) but me ... not so much! I was the one going to the Er for stitches and they use a really long needle to numb your finger's for stitches! Good time's Good Times but hey never any Boxer involvement ... Stru luv'd both her boy's ... it was just Dad being Dad for her. :)

Anyway in "retrospect," all the sign's were there?? I just could not read them at the time?? But Rocky was my first Wl GSD. And what I did know at the time. Was that GSD's are "High Rank Drive Dog's??" So as soon as I brought him in at seven month's ... "the clock was ticking??" I did not have a clue?? As that is not a Bully Breed or Boxer Issue??? Live and learn. :)

They will charge a "minim," or no fee for an Evaluation. They have a stock of "Balanced Dog's," on hand so they will know.

OK a lot here but to sum up. Just "Keep It Simple," you don't need to "figure this out your self," what the deal is. Just find a competent qualified trainer and ask them for an "Eval," on your dog! You tell them the issue and ask them to see what they think??? And yeah I should have done that myself with Rocky, at the first sigh of trouble??

As that is what I did with my first Band Dawg! He kept going after "unknown Dog's!" I had no clue what was going here?? I took him in for an Eval and they said ... "Not Dog Aggression Here, He is just a Domaninate Male Dog." And I said OK then ... not "A Dog Park Dog," I will just train him to "Ignore Other Dog's," and we got on with life. And he turned into my best "puppy raiser!" :)

·
Registered
657 Posts
She could be just warning the other dogs they are "too much" or could be a domination thing there could be alot of reasons for this like others said it depends on the situation keep an eye on her during play and be ready to step in and correct her.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your replies, and WOW Chip, that was a long post! You must have broken your own record there, but thank you and you are right the other dogs do seem weak, perhaps small terriers or even puppies, it’s really not nice at all. We don’t have dog parks here in the UK I walk my dog in the National woodlands near where I live. My dog and my friends dog will be walking along together or on their own and boom out of nowhere the poor terrier is being stood on by a big growling boxer.

It’s making the walking experience not so pleasant.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Thank you for your replies, and WOW Chip, that was a long post! You must have broken your own record there, but thank you and you are right the other dogs do seem weak, perhaps small terriers or even puppies, it’s really not nice at all. We don’t have dog parks here in the UK I walk my dog in the National woodlands near where I live. My dog and my friends dog will be walking along together or on their own and boom out of nowhere the poor terrier is being stood on by a big growling boxer.

It’s making the walking experience not so pleasant.
LOL and yet not long enough but now we do know the problem! Lou Castle and I ( that would be this guy.
Lou Castle | SIRIUS DOG a former K9 Trainer and Officer) Use to trade all the time bouncing off the thread Word Count Limiter on Germanshepard.Com. It's either 2500 or 5000 word's??? Most likely, it's the same here?? But I don't know as I have not hit it in years, so yay me, I guess?? :)

But more information was given, so now we know more of what the deal is. So it sound's like, dog's are not on leashes??? And this time I'll just stop with that question ... well, I'll add your dog sounds, like just a Bully but the other sound's borderline dangerous to smaller dog.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My female boxer does this quite rarely, but I am always keeping an eye on the area to see what sort of dogs are around, my friends female boxer also pins other dogs, long straight legs, and growling, it’s not nice but there is never biting. Is this a boxer thing? Is it more prevalent in female boxers?

It's been my experience, something with female boxers and other female dogs of any kind. (I'm currently dealing with my female boxer, 16 mths old, and my 6 yr old boston terrier. Same thing, The boxer will not leave the Boston alone, even though they can share dad's lap sleeping...go figure. It's a dominance for alpha thing I've been told.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
It's been my experience, something with female boxers and other female dogs of any kind. (I'm currently dealing with my female boxer, 16 mths old, and my 6 yr old boston terrier. Same thing, The boxer will not leave the Boston alone, even though they can share dad's lap sleeping...go figure. It's a dominance for alpha thing I've been told.
OK ... I "assume," these are two girl's. And the Boxer is showing the Boston a total lack of respect for her personnel space???

And I don't know?? But I would guess, this mostly happens indoors?? Hopefully so, cuz if happens on walk's or in the yard also?? You have a much bigger issue on the horizon! IE the "Warning Light's," are flashing!

Now if any of that is right?? The time to make change's is "Now!" Cause I am fairly, sure your BT, is only got to "the crap," behavior for so long?? And then you'll be starting a "My Dog's are Fighting, Thread" ... if your lucky! Cuz I would not lay odds on the BT, in all out combat with a Boxer?? The girl's don't play! And I don't care how cute and innocent they look?? You Really, Really don't want to Piss them off! Trust me on that and for the record ... I "prefer the girls." :)

Anyway ... let me know?? And sigh ... you don't need "Tool's or Harsh Correction's!" You just need time to train her "Better," and train a very useful "Default Behavior!"

IE, instead of fighting a "Behavior You don't want?? Train a Behavior you do want!" I have been there done that, worked out fine. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts