Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi...I had this Boxer puppy for 3 weeks. She was 8 weeks old when I got her. I spend a lot of time with her because I'm a retiree. I trained her to walk on leash in the backyard (a big backyard, she has a lot of fun playing and running around). Under my supervision I let her spend an hour a day with my older dog which is 5 year old female small breed. I tried everything from giving her treats when she stops the attack to putting her on leash to prevent her from attacking the other dog. When she attacks the dog, I say "no" then when she stops, I praise her then give her treats. Right after getting the treats she goes back on the attack, as if she's telling me "nice try"! I tried to distract her by playing with her with one of her toys. She plays for couple of minutes, then she goes back on the attack. She's focused and determined to attack my poor older dog who gets so tired/exhausted. I have been doing all this for 3 weeks to no avail. I don't see any improvement.

I don't know what else to do. Please any suggestion will be greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Ugh, sorry I did not see this until just now?? Has there been any improvement in her behavior?? And second just so you know, you don't reward "Bad Behavior," you Punish/Correct it! Now to me a "small dog," I would treat like a Cat v Dog, situation. And I doubt "most," can do that??

But that is not what your "issue," is. Boxer's are at the top of the list for "Inter-female aggression!" That is your issue, you will really need help from a "Pro," if you want to keep her. Female Boxer's don't like to share there space with another female dog, that is just a given. Sometimes a different breed and a smaller dog maybe?? But it seems like in your case ... not so much??

Most likely "Crate and Rotate," is your next best solution if you want to keep her. :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ugh, sorry I did not see this until just now?? Has there been any improvement in her behavior?? And second just so you know, you don't reward "Bad Behavior," you Punish/Correct it! Now to me a "small dog," I would treat like a Cat v Dog, situation. And I doubt "most," can do that??

But that is not what your "issue," is. Boxer's are at the top of the list for "Inter-female aggression!" That is your issue, you will really need help from a "Pro," if you want to keep her. Female Boxer's don't like to share there space with another female dog, that is just a given. Sometimes a different breed and a smaller dog maybe?? But it seems like in your case ... not so much??

Most likely "Crate and Rotate," is your next best solution if you want to keep her. :(
They are separate (My puppy is being crate trained, my pug has her own indoor playpen about 8'x5' in a separate room). I only let them together 1 hour a day under my supervision. My little older dog is a 5 year old Pug. The Boxer is now almost 14 weeks old. Of course I give them treats the minute they meet BEFORE the fight and the minute they stop. I think the puppy wants to play because when my Pug sits to rest, the puppy starts barking at her as if she's demanding that she continues to play. The puppy thinks that's playing. The Pug doesn't have that type of energy. That's why I never let them be together more than an hour. I also intervene if I see my Pug is getting tired. I reserve giving treats to my puppy when my other dog is there...I want her to associate the presence of my Pug with treats ( I never give her treats while she's chasing or attacking my Pug, I know better than rewarding bad behavior, I have been around dogs all my life. (German Shepherd, Rottweiler, and Chow. This is my first Boxer though) . I think it's SLIGHTLY getting better. So there is very little improvement, so I guess I need to be patient and to remain consistent.

Thanks for your reply...

·
Registered
979 Posts
The puppy is probably just being a puppy. Boxers have a much higher energy level than the dogs you have experienced they don't respond as quickly and they have a much higher energy level. I never like the idea of having small//large dog mix it too often ends badly for the small dogs. I know of a situation where a pug was killed by a Boxer so it was a female/female thing too so I would caution you to the extreme in this situation. Your puppy can be trained but you are really going to have to stay on top of this and make sure the puppy gets a lot of exercise and refocus her energy. Maybe when she is older and has all her shots find a dog her own size for playdates.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The puppy is probably just being a puppy. Boxers have a much higher energy level than the dogs you have experienced they don't respond as quickly and they have a much higher energy level. I never like the idea of having small//large dog mix it too often ends badly for the small dogs. I know of a situation where a pug was killed by a Boxer so it was a female/female thing too so I would caution you to the extreme in this situation. Your puppy can be trained but you are really going to have to stay on top of this and make sure the puppy gets a lot of exercise and refocus her energy. Maybe when she is older and has all her shots find a dog her own size for playdates.
I never leave them together alone for even 1 second. I want them to get used to each other when my puppy is still a puppy. So they are together a maximum of 1 hour under my supervision. Boxers are definitely different than any other dog I raised. Believe it or not the easiest one to train was the Chow. At that time I had a Peke, there was no problem. Housetraining was a breeze!

·
Registered
979 Posts
I never leave them together alone for even 1 second. I want them to get used to each other when my puppy is still a puppy. So they are together a maximum of 1 hour under my supervision. Boxers are definitely different than any other dog I raised. Believe it or not the easiest one to train was the Chow. At that time I had a Peke, there was no problem. Housetraining was a breeze!
Like I said this is a whole different thing! I have always had cats and my dogs are trained to leave him alone so it can be done but you really have to stay on top of things sounds like you are trying but puppies are a handful. I had two German Shepherds before getting hooked on Boxers now I will not have another kind of dog I am sold so with some work they are great dogs.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Your pup at 8 weeks, even now at 16 I don't think you are seeing the female to female aggression, it doesn't usually occur until they are mature then the trouble begins. It sounds like you are handling it the right way to me. Associating treats with seeing "the distraction" prior to any reaction is a good thing and it does work. I now have a st. poodle who reacts and that method has worked. While he isn't perfect he is now managed well. I also have a small dog a cairn terrier that the dogs and my boxer too before we lost him, acted much the same as yours. It was all puppy play. The older dog mostly took care of it themselves but like you I was alway present and could intervene. The boxer will eventually settle down, they are great dogs as adults. But likely you will always manage them with the difference in size but who knows..mine eventually did work it out and were fine with one another.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Like I said this is a whole different thing! I have always had cats and my dogs are trained to leave him alone so it can be done but you really have to stay on top of things sounds like you are trying but puppies are a handful. I had two German Shepherds before getting hooked on Boxers now I will not have another kind of dog I am sold so with some work they are great dogs.
I love my puppy...I'm a retiree...so I have plenty of time to bond with her. I think she already feels secure and loved. I walk her on a leash in the backyard. She already learned to sit, lie down, and to come when called ( by whistling). I also take her on car rides. Once she gets all her shots, I will take her for walks around the neighborhood. I'm just hoping she will become friend with my Pug...I think it will take time. She's very smart...when she sees me reaching for the remote...she looks at the TV before I turn it on...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your pup at 8 weeks, even now at 16 I don't think you are seeing the female to female aggression, it doesn't usually occur until they are mature then the trouble begins. It sounds like you are handling it the right way to me. Associating treats with seeing "the distraction" prior to any reaction is a good thing and it does work. I now have a st. poodle who reacts and that method has worked. While he isn't perfect he is now managed well. I also have a small dog a cairn terrier that the dogs and my boxer too before we lost him, acted much the same as yours. It was all puppy play. The older dog mostly took care of it themselves but like you I was alway present and could intervene. The boxer will eventually settle down, they are great dogs as adults. But likely you will always manage them with the difference in size but who knows..mine eventually did work it out and were fine with one another.
Thanks for the encouragement! My pup is almost 14 weeks now. I agree the pup is only playing. I do believe they will eventually work it out. I just need to be patient and consistent. Pugs have very low energy...so it's hard for her to keep up with the Boxer. It looks like you did had the same situation which was eventually resolved...this gives me hope.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Yes there is h ope but likely you will always need to manage the two together. I manage and supervise mine. while they are fine I don't leave them together unsupervised as the difference in size could be catastrophe even in play. But I think you already know that. Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes there is h ope but likely you will always need to manage the two together. I manage and supervise mine. while they are fine I don't leave them together unsupervised as the difference in size could be catastrophe even in play. But I think you already know that. Good luck.
Thanks. I will definitely always watch them when they are together..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts