Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've always had boy's in our family but this weekend we rescued a female boxer that was on her way to the pound.
She is 9 months old.
Our question is when will she go in heat or should she already have?
We are calling the vet today to have her checked out so I guess we'll get answers then.
Several people have said we can't get her fixed until she goes into heat the first time. Is that true?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Hi Jerry,
Puppy bitches can come into season for the first time any time between 6 months to 2 years. My personal experience has been right around 10 or 11 months. After they have their first season, physical changes can be seen most noticeably with her nipples. Puppy bitches' nipples will look like a male's nipples prior to their first season. After that, they will become enlarged and stay enlarged.

If she's had a season, her underbelly will likely look similar to my bitch, Mia's belly in these two pics:

The old recommendation that they go through a heat prior to spaying has shown no health benefit. You can spay her at any time, most vets recommend spaying at 6 months.

Hope this helps, congrats on your new addition and good luck at the vet!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Helps a lot!
Thanks!

Her underbelly does not look like that so I can assume she has not had her first. Also good to know that we don't have to wait. We live out in the country and a lot of people don't restrain their dogs letting them roam at will, and we have an underground fence so our dogs stay in but others aren't restrained from entering our yard.

Edited to say.... WoW! What a beautiful girl you have there.

·
Registered
744 Posts
No problem! And I'm sure that it would be easiest for you all around to have her spayed now. I didn't realize the exact effect that their scent had on males until my neighbor's neutered Boston Terrier showed up at my front doorstep (even with the door closed and my bitch in her crate at the far opposite end of the house!!). He had never done it before, but this time he was bound and determined to come over and "visit". :eek:

Thanks also on the wonderful compliment! She's definitely a momma's girl, and she has me wrapped completely around her paw. :)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Well congrats to you & also good for you to rescue that little lady. We also live out in the country & roaming dogs are a big issue here as well. We had taken in a female that we thought was about 5 months old, a cross between a fox & a collie. Anyways she went into heat about 3 weeks after we took her in & even Samson (who is fixed) was acting weired. Every darn dog in a 10 mile radius was circling..It was comical in a way, but frustrating for me as every time I took her out on a leash I felt like I had to fight off the males!! You do not want to have to deal with that!! When we found a permanent home for her, the first thing I told the new owners was Get Her Fixed!!

·
Registered
162 Posts
My vet told me it was better to spay before their first heat - it reduces the chances of mammary (sp?) cancer significantly.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Our vet recommended that we let our bitch have her first season before we had her spayed. She came into season when she was 9 months old. Once her season was over we then had to wait another couple of months, then she was spayed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts