Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new to the forum and hoping to get some advice. My 3 yr old spayed boxer has all of a sudden started either jumping the fence or busting out the screen door (if the big door is open) when other dogs are walking down our street. We have lived in our house for over a year, so not new surroundings. The screen door issue was fixed just by making sure the big door is never left open. But, now that she is jumping the fence I don't know what to do. We have two dogs that live beside us that she loves to play with and has never acted aggressive toward them. We also have a male bichipoo that she gets along fine with. But, twice now, she has jumped the fence to run across the street and be very aggressive to two different dogs being walked. She didnt hurt either of them, but I'm afraid she will. The man walking the dog today was very upset (understandably) and threatened to call the police. Any thoughts/suggestions?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Well the cheap and safe way for now is always close the front door and dont let her in the back unless she is supervised and leashed.If she gets out and unfortunately does something, depending where you live, you could have her taken from you and you will be liable for any damages.

I would find a reputable trainer in your area that can evaluate her and work with you at your house.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Its not unusual for female boxers to be very protective of their home and area. She is not aggressive with your neighbors dogs because she knows and plays with them other dogs in "her" area are not her friends. Like Matt said I would not leave her outside unattended and correct her when she attempts to go over the fence you could be in trouble if she hurts another dog or causes someone to fall or get hurt. Can you invest in a tall privacy fence? She is trying to protect "her" home and people she feels the street in front of your house is "hers "as well she is just doing her job as far as she is concerned.

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Ugh, you have more than a few "serious serious issue's! The bursting thru the screen door ??? Is well BS, and "you" can put a stop to that crap yourself ... with a different approach! ANd I'd be happy to outline a few if you like. :)ot

But the fence jumping regardless of why?? Is really, really bad!!! If you don't put a stop to that ... right freaking quick! You might not have a dog to worry about???

The fact of the matter is that with these dog's or you know any serious dog. A six foot fence is nothing. Any healthy Boxer, sized dog can scale a six foot fence ... if they "choose to." But most dog's "don't," because they chose to "respect," the fence and stay inside it's confine. I have seen a admitily, "Personal Protection Dog" trained by "Pro's." But it was a "APBT," so you know a bit shorter than a Boxer. Nonetheless on command ... that dog went up and over a six foot concrete, fence like it was nothing! I was stunned but my take away, was most dog's stay behind, there fence and in there yard because they "Choose To."

But your dog "chooses," uh "NO," and with sufficient provocation ... she's like uh heck NO, I'm outta here!! It's a big deal! She is putting herself and you at risk! If she goes at the wrong person's dog ... some of them will put her down hard! NV for one is a CC state and unlike me ... I use a"Walking STick to defend my dog's from A-Hole Dog's.

Some owner's don't want that hassle?? And they will just ... dispatch her on the spot! "My dog was in threatened and I deal with it." See you in court, some dog owner's don't play around. Lethal force is not my style ... but I can't speak for everyone??

That much being said ... the more a dog practices a behaviour ... the better at it they become! And the fence jumping, has to be stopped, fast hard and right freaking now!

Now with the "proper tool," I can guarantee ... that "you," can guarantee that you can stop the fence jumping crap ... uh "Right Now!" But I would also say ... that you won't much like it??

I kinda, it seem's specialize, in "self extinguishing behaviors??" I tend to not address a dog's bad behavior directly but I pursue, other mean's and the bad behaviour, "self extinguishes."

But fence jumping?? I have no idea if that course of action would work for that??? That crap would be something, I would choose to extinguish, fast hard and right now! Unless a dog first "clearly understand," that there are "severe consequences," for hopping that fence?? I'd not "trust," them??

So .. this much said unless your willing to make well a lot of changes with how you live and handle this dog ... just hire a competent qualified "Pro," to help you. And a small hint if you don't want to throw money down the toilet?? Just skip over any trainer's that state ... "Gentle Paw's," anything??

You might as well take that cash and flush it down the toilet cause they can't help you with this crap! The trainer's that can help ... well these day's are all gonna be E-Collar trainer's and most of them ... LOL are gonna say GSD's somewhere on there website's. :)

Now outside of that ... get an outdoor Kennel for her. And if you have to leave her alone and outside ... she goes in there! Lot's of other stuff ... would need to change, to create a change in behaviour and sigh ... I can guess what she does right now ... cuz it's a Boxer Board.

Welcome Aboard, in any case and in case you did not know the ... Girl's can be "Bitches!" They are my favorite's ... but yeah. :)

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
What a problem just purchase a portable dog fence.
Well yeah it is a "Problem!" If a dog can and will jump over a 6 foot Fence (An Assumption on my part, I did not see the detail's on what she is escaping over?) Then a "portable dog fence," is not gonna mean crap to them. A fully enclosed Kennel with a concrete floor is a much safer option, if one is gonna go with simple containment ... but that won't fix the other issue's. But with a fence jumping dog, sooner or later they won't have a dog to worry about. The dog can only keep getting luck for so long??

But if that's too much bother and expense, then they should "Hire a (Balanced Trainer.)" Tell them I "need this issue," fixed and they will use a "Hard Behaviour Modification Protocol" with an E-Collar. Proper Timing is the key and in one session they will, stop the Fence Jumping Crap, Fast, Cold and Right Now! More expense involved for the dog's other issue's ... but Fence Jumping, would no longer be one of them.

And ... Rule one of being a Good Dog Neighbor is, don't make your dog's problem, someone else's problem! Rule two (for me) is, I don't know you, I don't know your dog?? You keep your distance, I'll keep mine ... "Thank You."

I've had to "defend my dog's from other people's "Dogs issue's," more than 18 time's ... fortunately I'm quite skilled at it and no dog or people have been harmed. But no dog get's to my dog without going thru me first!

Well one did get by me once and Rocky (WL GSD) got nipped but that was on me ... I should have listened to him. But my point is dealing with other people's problem dog's ... get's old!

The OP is doing there part by reaching out for help. And realizing you have a "Problem," is the first step to finding a solution.

And a short version of a longer story ... I once corralled a fence jumping Boxer Home. The Boxer was heading toward's Hwy 50! The highlights are I herded him home and wound up between the Boxer and the gate?? I was trying to see if I could get ... the six gate open and let him??

The Boxer said ... don't bother and cleared me 5'10 and the six foot gate in a bound with a foot or two to spare?? And from there cleared my head by feet and went over the six foot gate and from there into the next yard??

Ok then?? So I go next door and knock and the home owner's answer and tell me, "Uh that is not our dog. But he comes over the fence all the time to play with our door?? I was stunned but hey I did what I could.

Your not gonna secure a dog like that with nothingless, than a secure enclosure. Think "Wolf Dog," enclosure. And a "portable enclosure," is not gonna cut it.

Fence Jumping, Human Aggression and Pack FIght's are all level ten issue's! And there are no simple solution's?? Aside from you know "Find a Trainer." Which can be another whole adventure in itself. But a quick note any "Gentle Paw's Trainer," or such ilk, are not gonna cut it here.

But you know out of the three ... the Fence Jumping, is the one I would rate as the highest! That need's to be "Stopped, Hard, Cold, Fast and Now! There need to be "Consequences," for "Bad Behaviour." The other stuff for JQP is just "Proper Management and Time." And I am not a "Pro," so as long as it takes ... is good enough for me.

And hey, if I don't make "Self Extinguishing a Behaviour," sound easy?? Then I'm doing my job here?? But "fence jumping crap??" Yeah, No ... I'd not be having it! Sometimes ... you need to "Keep It Real" for a dog and if an owner can't do it?? Then they need to find someone that can.
And a competent qualified Pro, for this "issue??" Will say ... "Yeah No Big Deal." :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts