Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'Afternoon everyone. Question. I have a private fence along my yard. I just noticed that the neighbors have a female lab, and I can just imagine when she gets in heat and my Chato will want to dig to get to her. My father suggested to dig in about 1/2 foot along the private fence and place chicken wire. Supposedly this is done so if the dog starts digging, either the neighbors dog or my dog, it will stop as soon as it hits the chicken wire. What are your suggestions? Another thing is that my backyard flows to a public park, and I dont want another stray dog digging into my yard as well. Just want some of your opinions if my father's idea is fine, or any better solutions.....Thanx in advance.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Your father's idea is a good one, I think we did that also. Generally boxers are not diggers, altho when Buck was a puppy he did a lot, but seemed to grow out of it. You can also spray a product like Bitter Apple along the base of the fence, altho it doesn't work with all dogs. It won't hurt the grass, but dogs & cats, tend to not like it & will avoid the area.

As for strays digging into your yard, I'm not going to say it won't happen, but it's unlikely. Is your fence a high fence? Can anybody outside see in? If it's a privacy fence, you should be fine. I guess my concern is in light of what just hapend to Andrea (Chloesmom), I would be a bit leery about leaving my dog out in the yard alone...

·
Registered
14 Posts
We have the chicken wire and to a point it's a good idea but it may not withstand over a long period.  We built a run with a concrete floor, 19ft long, and the concrete goes under the fencing, so all Henri will do if he tried would be to file his nails!  It keeps him in and all else out.  Might be worth an idea, a project for the future?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts