Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He is getting dropped off at my house at midnight tonight.  The crummy part of it is that I have to go to work at 7am.  I have no choice, but my roommate will be here while I am workin, and I will be able to come home for lunch to let him out for a little while.  I have spent the whole day "puppy-proofing" my house.  It is no easy task, and I have left no stone unturned.  I even went as far as to secure all the loose wires in those plastic sheaths.  I have his crate all ready, and I have a Kong in the freezer with some peanut butter in it.  I'm psyched!!
Does anyone have any other quick tips for the first night??  I have been reading a bunch of topics, thought I figure someone may have some trade-secrets.
Thanks a million my fellow boxer lovers.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Well bless your heart!  You must be so excited!  But why midnight?  Oh well.  He will probably just sleep all night.  

Depending on how old he is, you will have to take him out pretty often to potty.  When we first brought Henry home, he was 12 weeks old.  He was also sick and the medicine he was on made him have to potty more, which meant accidents in the middle of the night.  Get ready with some bleach water.

Good luck!  I think you should be fine!

Zhanna

·
Registered
508 Posts
YAY.. I bet your excited. Thats pretty late but really, nothing is to late for a little puppy. Im excited for you. I think im going to pray for a little boxer puppy to show up at my house tonight, i would be jumping for joy YIPPEE. Okay but back on topic. sorry. You are going to have to be ready for all those puppy accidents because they will use it quite often. Good luck on getting everything ready for your baby to be home.  :D

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Congrats! It's 1 min till midnight... your gonna be SO TIRED tomorrow! Good luck trying to sleep tonight! I'd be too excited myself!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Put a hot water bottle in his crate, it reminds him of his mothers womb. also put a radio real close to him and turn it low to something soothing...Lol about the trade secrets, I think all of us have endured a few nites of no sleep with our new puppy tho..One major thing to remember about puppies in crates, do not give in to the whining! He will eventually wear him self out or get a mighty sore throat  :lol:

Tons of patience, more than anything that's what you need, oh yes and a huge bottle of Nature's Miracle for cleaning up accidents....

Welcome home Ferris....

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, so he didn't arrive until 6am so I was able to get a few z's in.  He is much bigger than I had anticipated!!  He was left alone for a few hours since  both my roommate and I had to work.  I left him in the kitchen with a few toys and some food this morning, and when I got home from work I was surprised to see no pee or poop on the floor.  I let him out of the kitchen and the first thing he did was go in the living room and pee on the rug.  No worries though.  I cleaned it up, rolled up the rug and threw it in the closet.  
He has so much energy and I have been takin him outside once an hour to see if he has to pee or poop.  I praise him when he does it outside and I remind him about "outside" each and every time.  
Ok, I'm done for now.  I'm not gonna keep a daily journal on this forum here.  I just wanted to let you guys know how his first day was.  Oh, and the breeder mailed me a crate that is waaaay too small for Ferris.  I have to get to PetSmart and buy a bigger one since I plan on crate training him.
Thanks for all the advice guys.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Congrats on your new puppy!  I will be thinking of you while we both have sleepless nights.  My puppy is only 8 weeks.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Congrats on your new puppy Ferris.  :D

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Welcome to life with a boxer puppy  :lol: You will have a blast together.....Pics pls! We need a puppy fix... :)

·
Registered
316 Posts
WELCOME!!!!  Congrats on your new puppy!!!
I love the puppy days!!
I kept Ginsy in the basement (it is finished) in the bathroom with papers on the floor at night till she was able to hold it all night.  that way she could take care of her business at night and I could sleep :lol:   I did my time getting up all hours of the night with 4 children and I wasn't going to get up at 3 am to take a puppy for a walk.

now that she is bigger she sleeps in her doggy bed in the kitchen. (she still can't be trusted on the carpet :roll:  :x  :roll:   i am hoping to lat her sleep in our room or one of the kids room once she gets it that the carpet is off limits for potty :x   It is taking longer than I expected to housetrain her (but then she is only 5 months old)

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Congratulations on your new puppy.  I am with everyone else; can't wait to see pictures.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts