Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hubby and I finally took our honeymoon last week.  We had to board Lulu and 2 schnauzers.   About 2 months before vacation, I took Lulu and the 2 schnauzers to daycare every other week for a play day so Lulu would get used to it (the schnauzers love daycare).   Not one time did anyone mention that Lulu would not back down from fights..... never 1 word.    So, we thought she played well with the other dogs and I even watched her on the webcam and never saw her get into trouble.   Well.......... while hubby and I were gone, we found out from the owner that Lulu had been put in *timeout* every day (4 days) for not backing down from fighting.   Daycare owner wanted to know if Lulu had been trained.  I told her yes.... she just graduated from basic manners class and did very well.   She isn't agressive at home and doesn't fight.   Daycare owner said we needed to be firm with Lulu and her commands.   Told daycare owner that Lulu does every thing we ask of her at home When we say sit... she sits.... when we say come... she comes...... no problems.  

My question is ..... how can we fix something at home that's not happening?????   We have no idea she's getting into fights at the daycare if it doesn't happen at home?

I want to be able to take Lulu to daycare .... I think it's good for her to be around other dogs, but..... I don't want her spending all her time in timeout and not playing.

Anyone have any thoughts/comments/suggestions?    THANK YOU!!!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure....... Lulu did come home with a scratch on her side and under her eye.   Daycare owner said she didn't need to go to the vet --- nothing deep, just scratches, but........ if another dog is starting it..... Lulu is just going to defend herself.   They want each dog to just automatically calm down and stop when they call their name.   NOT!  

What I think I may do is take Lulu early one morning before I go to work with the daycare owner there and ask if I can supervise her playtime to see how she is acting.   Not sure if they will let me do this, but guess it can't hurt to ask.   Again, how can I correct a behavior if I don't know it's happening?

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
hmmm, i would be careful of the daycare as well. make sure they know exactly whats going on and how her breed plays. Do they possibly have the cameras where you can watch your dog while at work?? i would like that feature in my doggy daycare if i used one.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
[quote:2tiazzls]we found out from the owner that Lulu had been put in *timeout* every day (4 days) for not backing down from fighting.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Definitely go check it out.  It doesn't sound to me like they know what they're doing.  Are the dogs really fighting?  Because we all know how boxers play, but to some people it looks like fighting.  Also daycare is not a training class, it's a place for dogs to play.  It's nice if they want to help train your dog but if the dog doesn't listen to them why would they really be surprised, they don't own your dog.  Why should your dog listen to strangers?  If other dogs are starting fights with her, its the staffs job to stop it if it gets too much.  But usually the dogs can work it out themselves.   I'd go see whats going on there for yourself.  I have seen some awful daycares, I would never put my dog in a daycare I didn't go check out in action.

·
Registered
236 Posts
IMHO it sounds like she is just standing her ground. Which I wouldn't blame my dog for not backing down. Not that I would provoke him to fight. But some dogs just aren't as passive. Did they talk to the owners of the dog that was instigating it?

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
If you don't allow you to watch to see what is going on, then I would find someplace else.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
i agree with all above..sounds like they may not know how boxers play..and i know that my 2 are heavily socialized BUT put them in a situation where they need to back down every single time..its not happening...neither one will ever start it but will most def finish it if provoked...to ask them to back down if another dog is at them and at them trying to fight..makes no sense..what are they going to do? go tell the aid? :roll:

id check it out more ...sounds like its not a good place for your dog...

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I have to agree with all that has been said...Heather is right, some dogs just do not do well in that enviroment...I have made the decision to quit taking Angel to meetups as she has been constantly getting into fights, some she started and some not, but I am noticing over time that it's gotten worse, however her issue is totally with females, she is very Alpha..With the daycare people being rather sketchy on details, I would want to see fo rmyself what exactly is happening, and yes I think going in early one day and just having a good talk with the owner would be a good idea

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone!!!!     They have a webcam in the inside play areas and I have watched her on there.   Never saw anything out of sorts.   They do NOT have a webcam in the outside play area.   Perhaps this is where it's taking place.... not sure.    But, I have a call into the owner to call me when it's not a busy time for her and I to talk about me bringing Lulu in one day and watching her play and see what's happening.    I've taken my schnauzers there for 3 years w/out any problems.   I hope the owner will let me come watch and just see if daycare is a good option /or not for Lulu.   I'll keep you posted.   Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I would agree with everyone else when I say that courage and never backing down is a trait of the boxer breed.  Spinx has never shown one ounce of pre-emptive aggression, and he's only been in one "fight" that escalated from play due to the other dog being a complete lunatic.  I remember one time he was playing, albeit roughly, with a huge 120lb black russian terrier who just kept thumping him.  Despite the beating he was taking, Spinx refused to back down and kept going back for more for at least another hour.  

It sounds strange that the daycare would blame your dog for "not backing down" from a fight when they really should look into the dog who actually started or escalated the fight.

Brian

·
Registered
761 Posts
If you go watch your dog you may want to be in a place where she can't see you.  Dogs tend to act differently when their humans are around so you may not get a good look at what happens on a normal day there.  We are lucky that our dogwalker actually partners with a daycare so we get a play group once a week but they separate the dogs into different areas depending on the activity level/age/size/attitude  of the dogs.  Cassius goes in the "psych ward", the area set aside for very active puppies (6mos. - 2yrs) where all the dogs are playing and they don't mistake it for anything else.  He plays rough and the daycare knows it and he's in a program with other dogs that are similar.  He probably comes home with a scratch or two every week but nothing deep enough to break skin, and we probably wouldn't see them if he wasn't short haired and white.  Lulu may do better in a more controlled environment than that particular daycare can offer,  meeting/playing with other dogs.  Sometimes you just need to find the right playmates, hey not all humans get along so no reason to expect all dogs to.  Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Daycare has allowed us to observe Lulu during play.    We just have to pick a day.   They will put Lulu with the big-dog group and we'll watch and see how she interacts.   If that doesn't work, she's still considered a medium (she's only 45ish lbs) and they will put her with the smaller dog group to see if that's better for her (since she's grown up with 3 schnauzers).   But, daycare owner is willing to work with us and she has no problems with us watching and observing.   Now.... gotta check with hubby's schedule to see when we both can go down there.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Sounds like they are being reasonable, hope it works out well.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
That's great that they are letting you go take a look. I have a feeling they are just not familiar with boxer play.
Luckily, Ollie has boxers in daycare that he plays with ... and a female dobie that he is supposedly ga-ga over

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
[quote="HannaBanana\";p=\"119891":1tunmhpk]

It may not be your dog but just other dogs that she is not used to or certain sitation in the daycare that she is reacting to.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
You will have to let us know what happens after you observe Lulu..Definitely don't let her see you tho..Let her think you have left

1 - 20 of 20 Posts