Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK everyone we finally came up with a registered AKC name we both really like... what do you all think... here it is
MAXIMUS DECIMUS MERIDIUS!!!   i love it..  from the movie Gladiator.  we are really thinking about calling him Max for short.. but the kids want to keep calling him Patch..  we are undesided..  but i guess we could keep calling him Patch.. but that M D M would be his registered name..lol  i love it

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Ok forgive my ignorance here, but why do people pick long names/phrases for the AKC registration?  I have weird AKC names for a lot of Oggie's grandparents but they are so off the wall, I have no idea what they really called them.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
We made Reese's very easy, plus we let my daughter help. Her AKC name is  Reeses Pieces Venglar (our last name) simple :) my daughter just loved being able to help. Love the name maximus-very strong name

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Generally (as I understand it and my knowledge comes from my Lilly's breeder in this respect) they give long and somewhat off the wall AKC names so that the dog is easily traceable via AKC and stands out from the crowd, making it easier to research the line or kennel should the need arise.  

Example of when it comes in handy:

If you buy a pup, or are considering buying a pup from someone and they are throwing kennel or AKC dog names out there, you can use the name for research and find out what you want to know...

Hope that helps...

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
We have -

Red Earth's Running to the Bank  "Kash"

and

Red Earth's Copa Cab'Hanna  "Hanna"

Hanna will hopefully compete in AKC agility trials within the next couple of years.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I always thought the funniest one was the name we gave our Doxie when we were kids, Baron Eric Von Tripps, heck his name was bigger than him  :lol: I like actually having the kennel name included, like Liz said, it's a good way to track a line..Lol Heather, I like Kash's registered name, that is great...He must be running to the bank to repay Daddy for bringing sunshine :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that is way to funny!    =))   but i really like it  :clap:   ...

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
We thought about that for Odin... when we were thinking of names... but we didn't want to call him Max... we already have an animal named Max (imus). I couldn't think of anything clever for Odin's soooo he's just "Odin of Valhalla" OR "Odin of Asgard Valhalla" hmmm... I'm a bad mommy... lol...

now I feel bad... I'm going to have to check his papers! LOL Ever since I've become prego my mind has just... "up and left me" lol

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
The AKC will only register I think 35 dogs with the same name; in 120 years there aren't a whole lot of call names still available! :)  For breeders who have a program, the registered name is a way for others to track the program, see what is being produced, etc.  It also helps track down the breeder if a dog happens to go astray (and the registered name is known) - sometimes in tragedies dogs get surrendered to rescue, for example, because people are too embarrassed to tell the breeder, or family members don't know they need to.  With a kennel name especially, or any registered name, there a better possibility of finding the breeder.  

Plus, it's fun to think up registered names! :)  I have a whole book full of them, and I'm always adding to it.  I surely won't use all of them in my lifetime, but I have lots of options for when I do have a litter.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Wow, that's pretty interesting.  Now I understand why so many of his ancestors are listed with such wacky names.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Probably everyone knows this already, but here's basically how AKC names work.  1.  First name is the kennel name of the breeder (if the breeder wants their AKC registered name used); 2. The unique name you have chosen for the dog - it has to be something no one else has used; and 3. your registered Kennel name if you have one.  Like for Heather's example it would be Red Earth's (the breeder's registered name) Running to the Bank (Heather's choice for a name) of XYZ (Heather's AKC registered Kennel Name).  I believe the name can only be 25 character's long - so if you use two kennel names, it doesn't leave much for the rest of the name.  If you are not using the breeders name or your own kennel name in the dog's name, then it can be whatever you want that has never been used before.

By doing it this way you can see who the breeder was, the dog's name, and your kennel's name.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Here's mine

Sir Gunnar Barksalot - Gunnar, we got to pick ourselves

Schautzie's Ginger Girl - had to have the line in her name, our daughter did the rest!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok so let me see if i understand this right....  the first name is the kennel's name (the breeder used)?  how do i get that info? I have the AKC papers , i haven't sent them off yet..  does it say on those papers what kennel?

and second whatever name we want to use...  like Maximus Decimus Meridius..   but we call him "Patch"...
and three... the registered kennel name ? again?  i'm not following i guess..

:bshelp:

·
Registered
663 Posts
You don't have to use the kennel name, actually I think you have to have permission from them too.  With your name Maximus Decimus Meridius you wouldn't really have room for all that stuff either...

My babies AKC names are

Memphis Rain-Bo
Call him Bo

Lil Angel In Loving Arms
Call her Laila

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
wow thanks... i really like what we have come up with..  i have been scratching my head trying to figure out what the kennel's name was.. and looking over the AKC papers trying to figure it out..lol

·
Registered
663 Posts
Not all breeders have a kennel name... Usually the really good breeders do, like Newcastle.

My dogs did not come from Kennels with registered names.  

You get 30 letters for their name.

Is that from Harry Potter?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Never mind that last question.. LOL I just looked it up...

Wander what the spell they said in Harry Potter was that reminded me of that?  Who knows.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well,  Sir is a proper name for a knight..  and it would make it more distinguished, but the  name Maximus Decimus Meridius a Roman name.. because in the movie he is a Roman soldier.

a friend just threw out this....  Optimus "Patch" Prime...lol

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
oh  wait a minute!!!!   what about   Sir Ulrich Von Lichtinstien from the movie "A Knight's Tale"...lol

1 - 20 of 34 Posts