Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few questions. We brought home our 8 week old puppy finally after the breeder took him for his first set of shots. Question 1: He seems very tired and slept basically thru the night, but is only active for about 5 minutes and then wants to rst again. Could this be because of the shots? Or is it because he is in a brand new enviroment away from his mom and littermates and is sad?

Also when he shakes is it because he is cold or nervous?

Also we are giving him a 1 cup of food but he is only eating half that amount if that. Again is this because he has only been home for less then 12 hrs. or is this something i should be concerned about?

Any feedback what be greatly appreciated

This little guy pees so fast it's hard to get him outside to do so. I guess patience is key.

Again thanks............

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
All sounds pretty normal.  It's the biggest change in his life coming home to you....give him time.  Some puppies won't eat at all when they come home so if he's at least eating a little, that's a good thing.  Shaking can be from nerves or cold, but it's likely he's just nervous about his new environment.  But make sure it's warm enough where he is and give him a blanket if you are worried about temperature.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hoosier did the same things when we brought him home at 11 weeks (fresh off KC meds). He barely ate and he shook really badly when I took him outside. He was fine after about a week.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Definitely, give Copper a few days to adjust, the shots may have bothered him a bit, they do sometimes. A new enviroment, especially as a pup is a big change...Take an old shirt of yours and wrapit around him and also put it in his crate. Keep a radio on low to something soothing..He'll start eating better in a few days, give him time to adjust..Can't wait to see some pics of him  :)

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Hello and Welcome! cant wait to see pics of the little guy-i am sure he will be fine. new enviornments can scare a pup that young. Give him some time and then you will be wondering where that sedate little puppy went to :D please be sure to read through our puppy forum, tons and tons of great info there!

·
Registered
526 Posts
Patch did the same thing. He was very lethargic and would not play. He also slept for what seemed an entire day after he got his last shots, but the next day, he was his normal self.

Now that he has been with us for over a week now, he is playful and crazy, lol

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Hello and Welcome!
I agree with everyone above.  Just give him time....pretty soon you'd wish he'd sleep more!
The shots probably have something to do with him being so sleepy.  However, Lola slept about 18 hours a day the first few weeks, I used to think something was wrong too!  She used to shake too, it only lasted a few days.....probably nervous.  She shakes a lot when sleeping...I think she's dreaming!    Good luck and congratulations on Cooper!!

·
Registered
933 Posts
It sounds like everyone gave you pretty good advice.  I can't give any puppy advice because I don't know alot about pups.  Just wanted to say welcome and can't wait to see pics.  I'm sure he's gonna be just fine.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Kiah and I; I am sure Copper will settle in shortly.  You might want to put just a little warm water with his food to make it a little easier to eat.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Sophie was very sleepy when she got her shots, but just for the afternoon and evening the day she got them.  Sounds like everyone gave you good advice on the eating situation.  Soph was a terrible eater until she was about 12 weeks old and then she just took off and is now growing like a weed.  Sounds like you are doing a great job.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Kaci always used to seem so sad when she was a puppy, I often wondered about her mental state, but now...she's crazy and a VERY happy dog. Like the others have said, those all sounds like normal puppy things, just give him time.

We'd also love to see pictures! :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here are some pics of Copper. I was reading weights of Boxers in these forums. Is Copper on the big side? At his doctors visit yesterday he weighed in at 16lbs. at 8 weeks old.

G

·
0 Posts
awww...he looks soo tubby and cuddly in that last pic...at that age, Jetta was a bag of bones...she is still thin...but healthylooking...

Jetta will rarely eat a whole cup of food at a setting..so don't worry there.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
16lbs. @ 8 weeks is big!  Charlie was 11.5lbs. @ 9 weeks and 22lbs. @ 12 weeks.  Looks like your gonna have a big boy.  The shakes will go away as he gets adjusted to the new environment.  I doubt he'll miss to many meals either!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
The second picture of his little face is so cute; does sound like he is going to be a big boy but you never know.

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
i love the pics! he is soo darn cute. :D  he does look like he is going to be a big boy.everything you said sounds typical to me. i would'nt worry too much.if you want him to eat more try a little warm water with his kibble.that used to work with sumya.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Wow...he's gonna be a big boy...I'll have to look around and see if I can find exact records of their weights at 8 weeks...right now I don't remember...they (the older two boys) are 6 months old and 55#'s now...he looks SO much like our Indy!  

Welcome to the boards...he sounds pretty normal to me...we were amazed at how short lived Mic AND Indy's energy bursts were at first...they slept most of the time...given his size...he probably needs more sleep to keep up with the growing he's doing! :) As for food...he'll get there...and then he will devour everything you give him and you'll be amazed you ever had to wonder!LOL!

What a gorgeous boy! Looking forward to more pics!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Just some updated pics of Copper. The other pics in this thread he was 8 weeks old. He is 12 weeks old in these pics. He has a vet appointment tonight for his second series of shots.

He is getting big fast. We love him to death..............

·
Registered
50 Posts
waw your baby looks really big for 8 weeks .hes so cute ,my brothers gf brought her pup around that age too and even her baby used to sleep a lot if i where you i wouldnt worry just kuddle him so he feels safe soon you be his mummy for him

1 - 20 of 21 Posts