Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Question, breeder said she had her first set of shots, second due at 12weeks old and 3rd at 16weeks. I wouldn't mind doing some puppy training at petsmart or similar place. Should I wait til her 16week shots??

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I actually had another place in mind. Will not go to any place for training. Just meant as a place for training where there will be other dogs.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Petco training. :)

Yeah ... that can work well for "most" dogs, you don't really learn alot about dogs through them but if you have a dog that is stable and balanced ... you my be able to slide by??

But ... if it turns out you have a "problem" dog ... "Petco's" form of training leaves an owner ill prepared to "deal." Ina nut shell they don't believe in teaching a dog "NO!" And
giving "consequences" for poor choices. A cookie or no cookie ... is not a consequence. :)

But not to worry, most likely "Pro's" would disagree but personally I found training "Boxer's" to be more of an art than a science. You have to "watch your dog" pay attention to what they are doing and have ... a butt load of patience with "Boxers!" Most likely it's the same with all dogs but I became aware of this with my girl (Struddell.) :)

Especially the "Girls" there take on training is basically ... well whatever your doing is not as much fun as what I want to do ... so whatever ...:

That is kinda the "attitude" you'll be dealing with. :)

I still remember the day Struddell and I finally got over pass that stage. Don't remember what I was working on but I gave the command yet again and this time I remember seeing the wheels spin in her little head and "Boom" compliance! Piece of cake from that point on. :)

ANd offering a "Consequence" for poor choices is more of a "concept" than an actual technique, depends on the dog. If your relationship is solid a "Consequence" can be as simple as a "NO" with an edge to it in emergencies, that alone can stop them call!

Struddell heard the word "No" so often I was worried that she thought it was her name?? For a while there she was always doing something "new" and stupid, that I did not want her to do! Her take was pretty much "OK not this but maybe this is OK???"

Nonetheless, she never received a harsh physical correction in her life. And I taught to chase rabbits to the North (Mountains) and not the South (Hwy) in the desert off leash at distance and with the use of the word "NO!"

So no E-Collar, or "Crittering Protocol" needed. I got into a debate with the E-Collar expert on that one, on TheGermanShepardForum. :)

That would be this Lou Castle ... author of this site:
Game Chasing (Crittering)

And as I had done as I stated I held my ground. It was a good debate ... I lost track of it however. :(

In anycase ... things to do to "not" have problems, I don't do "Dog Parks" aside from the inherent dangers if a Dog Park, if you make dog your dog excited to be around other dogs ... then your dog will be excited to meet other dogs!

The only "trap" I fell into with my first dogs was the "people thing" meeting people was by and large there favorite activity! Struddell never met a single individual she did not like! By and large she was correct but ... my mistake was allowing to much excitement when greeting folks.

I was alaways lax with her and people and I allowed her to be out front. So no "Stay" and I stand in front have her "Sit" then let people greet her. I would stop but I did allow her to set the terms. So she'd meet them first out in front of me and butt wiggling. The blow back to that approach is when company came over! Pretty much unchecked chaos walking on the couch form face to face.

ANd company was no help ... "oh she's fine" from the males and the women would give her a cold shoulder so she left them alone (frankly I thought the females guest were always jealous of Struddel slender waist.) :)

So you set the terms of intros with strangers, you first haver Sit and wait and train the "Place Command" for company coming over. Do those and I believe you can side step some of the crazy. :)

Hmm OK, I'm gonna cheat her all you need to know is in here:
German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Returning a pup back to a breeder

See "New Dog Challenge" for "Who Pet's my Puppy or Dog" and my alluded to "Dog Park Warning." Meeting people is fine by and large with "Boxers" but you set the terms of meetings.

The "Place Command" link will take you back here. And there are clips on training "Puppies" in "Place" no corrections needed you get that done and your going to have a pretty easy road going forward. :)

And the last link is "Bethany" she's a "Balanced Trainer" trainers that use all Four Quadrants of Operant Conditioning. Lot of words but boiled down trainers that teach a dog to make better choices and offer consequences for poor choices and a "No" to an otherwise well behaved dog is a consequence, "marker training" as it were.

And she has 36 clips on training puppies! I think it's a much better choice than "Petco" myself.

But I gotta get back to the GSD Board. We have some nimrod using an E-Collar (badly) on his dog, dogs attacked him, he needed a muzzle and a catch pole and a third party to get his dog out of his Vet for Drug Therapy to help with the problem???

He insist that, well I can't use a SLL or a Prong Collar on this dog and apparently he can't "properly use an E-Collar either??

The "Pro's" on there that work with serious dogs ... don't see this as a "Dog Problem" and the guys is threatening to put ... yet again a "second dog down" for "Aggression??"

So that's two dogs with serious aggression issues by the same owner?? Yeah I see a pattern here and it's not the freaking dogs!

So yeah a lot there but ask questions, welcome aboard yet again. :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks for the info everyone. Another question, what's the easiest way to give her her heartworm meds? she eats dry food (nutro ultra for pups).

·
Registered
130 Posts
Depending on the heartworm med (if you're talking the monthly preventive), the ones out dogs are on (Heartguard for one and Interceptor Plus for the other) are flavored and eaten like a treat so no need to hide it ...

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
LOL Struddell was an expert at finding hidden pills! I did see her work her mouth swallow
and out would come the pill???

I had to cram them down her throat ... hopefully the OP will have better luck. :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
LOL Struddell was an expert at finding hidden pills! I did see her work her mouth swallow
and out would come the pill???

I had to cram them down her throat ... hopefully the OP will have better luck. :)
Lucky did the same thing! I would swear he swallowed them then one day I found a secret hiding spot of like 6 half dissolved tramydol...

Sent from my HTCD100LVWPP using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Lucky did the same thing! I would swear he swallowed them then one day I found a secret hiding spot of like 6 half dissolved tramydol...

My daughter did that, she'd had strep throat and a few weeks later I was cleaning under the couch cushions and found a hidden stash of Tylenol :(

·
Registered
101 Posts
My daughter did that, she'd had strep throat and a few weeks later I was cleaning under the couch cushions and found a hidden stash of Tylenol :(
Aww haha! I still do that as an adult sadly...my grandma is a doctor and tries to over medicate me with vitamins and pills when I'm sick and I'm so picky with what I take..I hide them in my mouth and then spit them in toilet. Otherwise she won't leave me alone lol I do it just to satisfy her 😳

21 - 40 of 73 Posts