Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get more information on different types of training for boxers.  Rally sounds really interesting, but there are a couple of things I want to have Chloe be able to perform.  I want to be able to find a good trainer - are there certain certifications or organizations they would belong to that I can get a list from?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Hands down the best places that I've found trainers have been through my local AKC recognized all breed training club. The one that I use is called Cleveland All Breed Training Club.

I'm not exactly sure of where in FL you're located, but here is a list of training centers in FL: http://www.allprok9training.com/florida.html

Not sure of which are good and which aren't, but they will at least give you somewhere to start.

(BTW - I'm still LMAO over the music. . . WTH does that song have to do with the price of tea in China?! LOL)

When searching for a trainer or training club, the best advice that I can give is to find a trainer who has proven their own dogs by putting titles on them and exhibiting them in the obedience or performance rings. If they can't train their own dogs (and prove it), IMO, they have no business teaching others how to train theirs'.

Good luck! Hope this helps!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agreed - the lady who teaches the "puppy classes" at PetSmart actually admitted that one of the dogs she has trained still won't do anything the owner commands - because it is a bull-dog.....  um really?

I'm not stupid enough to think that a dog is untrainable because of the breed.

Anyway - that is why I am wanting to research the next step - so I don't get stuck paying $100-$200 for a class with someone that doesn't know what they are doing.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Yah, I have to admit that I'm not a fan of the PetSmart classes. I mean, in general, I think that they're good for the public (I mean, at least give the public an opportunity to do *something* to train their dogs), but I want my trainer to have proven themselves prior to teaching me how to train my dogs.

Also, I think that you'll find a much different mindset at the all breed clubs. Keep in mind that the PetSmart trainers do it for the love of money (to make a living), while the all breed trainers do it for the love of the sport. They are working on a volunteer basis (and if they do get paid, they get paid very little). They're doing it because of their love of training and they're doing it to support the club that they are members of. Because of this, it is my belief that you'll find the quality advantage at the all breed clubs as well - they *want* to help you to train your dog.

Similarly, since the clubs are usually volunteer run, your classes will be much cheaper. I pay $75 for 8 weeks of classes at my training club, which is a far cry from what I've seen advertised in other places around here.

The one biggest benefit that you'll find with an AKC recognized club, however, is that they are prepping you for show. They follow the rules and the guidelines of the AKC, and they know what you can and cannot do in the ring. For example, a sit isn't a sit until it's a *straight* sit in this environment, whereas a sit is a sit is a sit in the PetSmart environments.

Good luck!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Excellent advice Jessica..Altho this thread was started by some one else, it addressed a question that I had. Where I live I haven't (so far) found any one that does training, but I'll keep looking. I'm not in the need of one now, but we are starting to look for a puppy, so I will need a trainer in the future.

I was fortunate I guess. I took Samson to Petsmart for his classes & lucked out to get a trainer that was very good. Worked extensively me on the issues that I had and actually pet sat for me too!! I do know that the majority of the trainers there are not that good, so yes, I was lucky, but don't want to take the chance when I need another trainer..Even though I am not showing my dogs manners are manners & good behavior can save your boxer babies life possibly!!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BurningRiver\";p=\"1009 said:
Similarly, since the clubs are usually volunteer run, your classes will be much cheaper. I pay $75 for 8 weeks of classes at my training club, which is a far cry from what I've seen advertised in other places around here.
:yes: Wow! That is a great price.  I found a good center here, but choked at the $175 for 6 weeks for what they called "Basic Manners" - which essentially is basic obedience - but they do train service dogs, agility, obedience, and have trainers specifically for aggression issues, etc....  so maybe that is why they can charge so much.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The place that charges all that $$ - is on the list - so I guess they are good.  They let you "work for classes" - maybe I can work something out - I don't know that DH will go for the $175 for the classes.....  hummm...  maybe he doesn't have to know... :devil:

·
Registered
744 Posts
LOL!

I just use the agrument with hubby that he enjoys having well trained dogs around and that training comes at a price. I do the hard work of training them, so the least he can do is not complain about the price. :p

I'm not sure that I would necessarily take the list as endorsement, but I would give them a call and make sure that they are capable by asking a few pointed questions - ie: do your trainers compete with their dogs, have they titled their own dogs, what do you use as a measure of their ability to teach others how to train their dogs, etc.

Good luck! I'm sure you're excited to get started! :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts