Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I did it, took the plunge and applied to adopt a boxer rescue!! We've wanted to for a REALLY long time and since construction begins on Donners 50 x 25 ft dog run this weekend, thought we might have a chance of being approved. This is the rescue that sweetums was on and while looking there decided to give it a try. I've always felt a  little guilty for buying Donner when there are SO many in need and now that he is ready for a brother or sister I really wanted to try a rescue group. I know that because of our many cats and the age requirement I put in (1 year old +/-) we may have a bit of a wait but please keep your fingers crossed for us, and I wondered if anyone has advice about rescue organizations??? Also, one of the questions was regarding immunizations on other pets, Donner and the outside cats are always current but our last vet felt it wasn't necessary for the inside ones since they are NEVER allowed out, will this disqualify us???? If that's the case I'm more than willing to update them, just wondered if it will be a problem????

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Well I am not sure about the issue with the vaccinations. Are these others that dont go outside cats? I would tell them what your vet said and let them know that if it is an issue you will have them vaccinated and provide the rescue with proof. If they are cats I would not think there is an issue because there is nothing a cat is vaccinated against that is transferable to a dog except rabies.  So, you may want to just ask them ahead of time and see what they say.

Good luck though I hope it all works out for you.  I think rescue is a great thing!!!!! I am going to plan to go that route after the first of the year as well.  I sponsor a rescue now because I cant adopt him but I wish I could :)

·
Registered
578 Posts
CONGRATS on the decision to rescue and good luck!  I also feel guily for buying Fredo sometimes. When we have the space I would love to rescue as well.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sharon, yes the inside ones are cats - got so excited just writing about a new pal I wasn't too clear. Our last vet told us it wasn't necessary and our current vet has seen them a few times for various little things, knows they are inside cats and hasn't questioned rabies shots. Like I said, I'd be happy to have them done if it's needed but they don't come any closer than a storm door to the outside. But now I wonder, our whole family had the rabies series a few years back, our dog Roscoe tangled with a rabid skunk - had no wounds but health dept said virus could live in saliva on inanimate objects for up to 3 hrs. Nothing was said about cat immunizations being updated, but dogs had to have boosters just to be safe even though they were up to date.... Now I'm really confused  :think: Maybe I'll just take the financial hit and get the inside cats their shots, probably easier on a lot of levels!

·
Registered
405 Posts
That's wonderful! That is the same rescue we got Abby from.  I do not recall discussing immunizations with them but Abby was our first of the two, so the immunizaitons of other animals in the household was not an issue.  If they raise it, maybe you could get a letter from your vet explaining the rationale, or otherwise, hear them out on it and discuss with your vet.
Keep in mind, they want all their dogs in a good home and will work for that to be done.  We had issues when we were picking our second, because our yard was not fenced in. We can't fence in our yard due to our area and I was not sure yet how I felt on electric fences.  But they talked about it with us and we came to an agreement and things were fine.

Dawn Karam of Adopt a Boxer is a wonderful person...I think she pretty much has the final say with everything and she is rational and realizes that not everyone has to have the same exact opinions in order to be a good boxer parent.  

Good luck!! they have SO many cute ones right now, I want to take them all.  

If you have questions about the league, feel free to PM me.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
That is awesome news!!! I am so excited for you...I would think if you provided the rescue with all the health records, your vets phone number & information, there shouldn't be any problem..Like Sharon said, cats & dogs have different sets of shots, so I would think it would be fine....Keep us posted

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Yeah I would just wait and talk to them first if the cats not being vaccinated is a prob you can always get them done then.  I have looked at that site many times and I would LOVE to have the old guy TYSON, I would bring him home tomorrow if they would let me.  I always fall in love with these old fella's that are way far away from my house :)

G

·
0 Posts
Where is that rescue located? They seem to have a lot of dogs...I would like to do a rescue eventually...but don't really have any near me...

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Congrats! That is wonderful news. I don't know much about rescue organizations, but we would also like to adopt our second boxer when the time comes in a year or so from a rescue. I really hope it works out for you so that Donner can have a brother or sister! It is so exciting, we will keep fingers and paws crossed for ya.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Rescues are the best and they will work with you to place dogs in the right home.  The only thing I can suggest is to not take it personally if they don't feel a dog will fit.  One that I applied for they didn't think was a fit (hurt my feelings a bit) and then Kiah came along and it was a perfect match.  Best of luck.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Be a little careful with that particular rescue, we have had a problem with 3 of the boxers that were adopted by our family members. Two of them had severe aggression issues and we had to send them back after they attacked two children in our family. There was no mention on the web site that the dogs were not good with children, actually it said that they were good with children. When they resubmitted these dogs back onto their website just a few days later they again failed to mention that the dogs were not good with children. I think that the dogs should have had some type of rehabilitation before being put back onto the web site, and failing to mention that they were not good with children is just wrong. Many of these dogs at this rescue are from the New York and Philadelphia areas where boxers are used in dog fights. I am a true believer of rescues and all of the good that they do for our boxer pals, just be careful when choosing a dog from this rescue.The boxer that my daughter did adopt from this rescue was a sweetheart and we loved him for the few short years that we had him, he was a lot older than we were told and he had a multitude of health problems which they failed to mention. Nevertheless he was a great pet and we were honored to have him.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Latest adoption update...we heard from them twice via e-mail, they will check our references this week and hope to set up our home inspection this weekend. After much discussion with them and with hubby it's been decided that with all the cats here ( 7 total) that a puppy would be the best placement for us. We really wanted to help out with a 1yr +/- old dog but they feel and I agree that a puppy would fit best, and hey, they need homes too. So folks looks like we'll be potty training in winter again!! Good thing I saved Donners baby coat!! I'm so excited and nervous I'm just about pacing the floor!! We've been keeping an eye on a little white girl with a fawn spot on her bum named Bucky, I understand she may have already found her forever home by the time we're approved, but I took one look at her and just MELTED :D Please continue to cross fingers and paws for us!!!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Fingers and paws still crossed for you!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Woo hoo, sounds good..Keeping fingers, toes & paws crossed for you....Looks like a lot of people are going to be potty training this winter :)

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
WHOOOO HOOOOO Just had my phone interview with adopt a boxer and was told that there is a volunteer in the neighboring town so we may not have to wait until this weekend for a home inspection!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts