Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to brag that Fiona has dontated blood to save three different K-9 friends :) She is an official K-9 blood donor!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Re: Fiona Saves Life

I didnt know that was even possible!

Very cool!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts

JessiesMom\";p=\"58018 said:

Very cool!
Me either - that is really cool!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

JessiesMom\";p=\"58018 said:

Very cool!
It is just about the same as with human blood donation... The blood is species specific, so dogs can receive only dog blood and cats can receive only cat blood.

Dogs and cats have blood types just as humans...... Cats have A, B, and AB. Dogs have eleven different blood groups.  Dogs that are A negative (which Fiona is) are considered universal donors.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
WooHoo Fiona! I think mommy should give you some extra special treats for being such a trooper!  :D

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
One of our evet offices here will actually trim your dogs nails and have free blood transfusions as well as some other stuff for dogs that donate.  It's really cool that Fiona has helped out.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I didn't even know that was possible either.  I can tell you I donate some, I'm A- which is pretty rare in humans.  I think 6 or 7 outta 100.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
is there a specific donation set up? or can i have mine donate at every 6 month check up? as our vet is an evet also...thats a great idea !!!

ive never heard of it..here...is it common? ill call my vet and ask...what a wonderful thing you did Fiona...whooo hooooo

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
i jsut called my girlfriend here that runs a non profit dog foundation and told her about it...they are going to hook up with a few evets here including mine and have a blood drive....

whoooo hooo

THANK YOU SHARON FOR SHARING THAT...AND THE PUPS IN HAWAII THANK YOU

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I didn't know that you could donate ahead of time.  I know that when my last dog had surgery the vet brought in his dog in case Rascal needed a transfusion.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ky_IsisnOnyxsMama\";p=\"58067 said:
i jsut called my girlfriend here that runs a non profit dog foundation and told her about it...they are going to hook up with a few evets here including mine and have a blood drive....

whoooo hooo

THANK YOU SHARON FOR SHARING THAT...AND THE PUPS IN HAWAII THANK YOU
That is great Ky....there is always a need for doggie blood!!!! :)

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I've been called a dog a time or two.  Does that mean I can donate?  I'm afraid of needles, though, so you would have to knock me out first.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Sharon I rememebr you mentioning this awhile back and so proub to know that Fiona has now saved 3 lives.....I'll have to ask my vet about this as well. What an awesome idea.....

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
[quote="dan.daugherty\";p=\"58116":2mh6emn9]I've been called a dog a time or two.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Yay Fiona!!!  I hope she got extra special spoiled that night!!  Didn't she do this before or am I thinking of someone else?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts